New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              26      
       28       29       30       end

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

hia447

Upload & Sell: Off
p.27 #1 · p.27 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Based on the info on Cosina's website it's true. It seems that with Cosina's lenses, only E-mount and X-mount lenses transmit the focus distance information to camera and that is needed for 5-Axis stabilization. Cosina's website only states 3-Axis support for their Z-mount and RF-mount lenses.

There have also been comments from Z-mount users that there is no focus distance info displayed with the CV Z-mount lenses.

I don't know the reason why they have a distance encoder only with their E-mount and X-mount lenses though.

Oh dang that’s weird lol. I wonder if it’d be better to adapt the e-mount version to the ZF? Or would that not give all the relevant exit data? 🤔

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:55 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.27 #2 · p.27 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Nikon Zf CV 50mm f1

Grainy Backlit 1 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:33 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.27 #3 · p.27 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

hia447 wrote:
Oh dang that’s weird lol. I wonder if it’d be better to adapt the e-mount version to the ZF? Or would that not give all the relevant exit data? 🤔

Sorry, I missed this query earlier... I don't really know how the EXIF data and focus distance information work when CV E-mount lenses are adapted to Zf with various available adapters that support electronic contacts as I don't have a Zf or another Z-mount body so I haven't personally tried that. I have 9 CV E-mount lenses currently but I just use them on Sony bodies (now mainly A7CII), and also 5 X-mount lenses that I only use on X-S10.

Jan 30, 2024 at 02:21 AM
photoz

p.27 #4 · p.27 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

C.Rankin wrote:
Nikon Zf CV 50mm f1

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53497444679_98c5cc119e_k.jpgGrainy Backlit 1 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Inspirational.

Jan 30, 2024 at 04:34 PM
Prosophos
• •
p.27 #5 · p.27 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Mr. Ding 50mm f/1.1 + Nikon Zf

—Peter.

Feb 01, 2024 at 09:19 PM
Prosophos
• •
p.27 #6 · p.27 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Mr. Ding 50mm f/1.1 + Nikon Zf

—Peter.

Feb 03, 2024 at 04:22 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.27 #7 · p.27 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Nikon Zf CV 50mm f1

Morgan Under the Bridge 1 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Feb 06, 2024 at 07:57 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.27 #8 · p.27 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

C.Rankin wrote:
Nikon Zf CV 50mm f1

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53513985830_ed26b464fd_k.jpgMorgan Under the Bridge 1 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

was this shot at f2/2.8?

Feb 06, 2024 at 08:21 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.27 #9 · p.27 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Desmolicious wrote:
was this shot at f2/2.8?

f2.2

Feb 06, 2024 at 11:04 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.27 #10 · p.27 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Nikon Zf CV 50mm f1
f2 1/1000 ISO 100

Morgan Under the Bridge 2 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Feb 13, 2024 at 08:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

C.Rankin
• •
p.27 #11 · p.27 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Nikon Zf CV 50mm f1
f2 1/3200 ISO 100

Vintage Grain 1 IG (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Feb 16, 2024 at 07:39 PM
bikenerd

p.27 #12 · p.27 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Question for the other ZF users - I just received a Mr. Ding 50mm, and put it on my ZF via a TTArtisans 6-bit adapter. I'm not getting a green focus confirmation box, and strangely I do see f-stop displayed in the EVF and can change that display with the rear command dial. That obviously has no effect or relation to the F-stop set on the lens.
What am I doing wrong?

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:40 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.27 #13 · p.27 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

bikenerd wrote:
Question for the other ZF users - I just received a Mr. Ding 50mm, and put it on my ZF via a TTArtisans 6-bit adapter. I'm not getting a green focus confirmation box, and strangely I do see f-stop displayed in the EVF and can change that display with the rear command dial. That obviously has no effect or relation to the F-stop set on the lens.
What am I doing wrong?

Do you have the camera set to MF or is it still in AF-S/-C? You will only get the focus confirmation in MF.

You can set an aperture with this adapter but it only affects EXIF data.

Feb 21, 2024 at 01:47 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.27 #14 · p.27 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

highdesertmesa wrote:
If you do succumb, I'll be interested to hear what you think about the IQ. I ended up moving to the S5IIX, which color-wise and noise-wise seems identical to the SL2-S. Compared to your SL2, I think you'll prefer the Zf's high ISO performance, but you might prefer the SL2 colors at low ISO – just my guess

I don't have an SL2 so I cannot compare the Zf against it, but I find the colors to be very pleasing with C1 Pro ProStandard profiles.

I did compare it to my a9III under artificial light (Voigtlander 50mm f1.0 on the Zf, GM 50mm f1.2 on the Sony) and the Nikon colors, in particular skin tones, were a lot more pleasing, not even close.

Cheers,
Bernard

Feb 21, 2024 at 04:29 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.27 #15 · p.27 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

bernardl wrote:
I don't have an SL2 so I cannot compare the Zf against it, but I find the colors to be very pleasing with C1 Pro ProStandard profiles.

I did compare it to my a9III under artificial light (Voigtlander 50mm f1.0 on the Zf, GM 50mm f1.2 on the Sony) and the Nikon colors, in particular skin tones, were a lot more pleasing, not even close.

Cheers,
Bernard

"Compared to what?" is always the question.

With my S5IIX (about to be sold anyway for other reasons), I found I had to use the "Generic" profile in C1 instead of the "Pro" one. C1's pro profiles for Fujifilm and Leica are really good, but for the S5IIX, the yellow tones are completely destatured to the point of not existing, making the pro profile impossible to use for general shooting. Since it's C1's default profile, it should be more well-rounded. Lightroom is even worse for the S5IIX – not a single profile that can match the "Standard" film sim for the in-camera JPEGs out of that camera. Anyway, point being – I think this was the issue with the Zf for me. I should have tried the Generic profile for it.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:33 AM
speedgraphic
• •
p.27 #16 · p.27 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I apologize if this question has been answered but this thread is already quite long. Has anyone evaluated the performance of Leica M lenses on this sensor stack? Is it usable or would one want to get a Kolari mod at some point?

I have the 50/1.5, 35/1.5, and 21/1.8 from Voigtlander.

Feb 21, 2024 at 02:53 PM
photoz

p.27 #17 · p.27 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

speedgraphic wrote:
I apologize if this question has been answered but this thread is already quite long. Has anyone evaluated the performance of Leica M lenses on this sensor stack? Is it usable or would one want to get a Kolari mod at some point?

I'm using CV LM mount glass with the 6-bit adapter, no issues I can tell.

Feb 21, 2024 at 03:38 PM
bikenerd

p.27 #18 · p.27 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

fjablo wrote:
Do you have the camera set to MF or is it still in AF-S/-C? You will only get the focus confirmation in MF.

You can set an aperture with this adapter but it only affects EXIF data.

I didn't have it on MF, missed that detail. Thanks!

Feb 21, 2024 at 05:53 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.27 #19 · p.27 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

speedgraphic wrote:

Yes it's usable. But it's not the same performance as you'd get on an M camera or modded sensor on another camera. Look at ANY of Fred's Voigtlander lens reviews here. You'll see a consistent theme when he compares the lens performance on an M camera compared to non-M mirrorless.

You really should read through this thread and others like the review threads on Voigtlander lenses, though. Best to learn by learning.

Feb 21, 2024 at 06:41 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.27 #20 · p.27 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Nikon zf CV 50mm f1

f2.2 1/4000 ISO 100

Alexis Retro 1 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Feb 23, 2024 at 08:26 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.