New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              23      
       25              29       30       end

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

C.Rankin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.24 #1 · p.24 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Nikon Zf CV 50mm f1

Polina in Denim 2 Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Dec 25, 2023 at 09:37 PM
TR3B
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.24 #2 · p.24 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Iím seeing some awfully nice images coming out of this camera. I have a Sony A77RIII that Iíve never become best buddies with. In fact, Iíve been shooting with a Canon 6D lately, simply due to the menu layout of the Sony.
I was constantly digging into the menus on the Sony for one reason or other, which was taking the joy out of the experience for me.

Iím going to stop into my local camera store and look at the menu implementation of the Nikon, and if itís laid out in a more intuitive approach for me, I may make a move. 90% of my shooting is with vintage glass, which I have plenty of. It just seems the joy of photographing felt hindered using my Sony, at least for me.
I also hung onto some very nice EF AF lenses for the Canon when AF is needed. Works for me!
I would give up the smaller size of the Sony for a more pleasant shooting experience. I wanna have fun when I go out the door, not fighting with the tool. Personal preference speaking.

I think Nikon might have something here. I cut my teeth on a Nikon FE and the infamous FA many moons ago.
Might feel like coming home
$2K? Well done Nikon!

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:09 AM
C.Rankin
• •
p.24 #3 · p.24 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

TR3B wrote:
Iím seeing some awfully nice images coming out of this camera. I have a Sony A77RIII that Iíve never become best buddies with. In fact, Iíve been shooting with a Canon 6D lately, simply due to the menu layout of the Sony.
I was constantly digging into the menus on the Sony for one reason or other, which was taking the joy out of the experience for me.

Iím going to stop into my local camera store and look at the menu implementation of the Nikon, and if itís laid out in a more intuitive approach for me, I may make a
...Show more

I shot with a Sony A7III for about a year alongside a Fujifilm XT3. Even though the the Sony had better lowlight capabilities and was FF I usually used the Fuji. Just never liked the colors I was getting and hated the way the camera was laid out. I now mostly shoot with Fuji GFX and Lumix FF which I much prefer over anything Sony. The Zf is my first Nikon. I really like it overall and plan to keep it. Using manual focus lenses on the Zf has been a great experience. I do recommend getting a grip for the body though.

Dec 26, 2023 at 07:13 AM
C.Rankin
• •
p.24 #4 · p.24 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Nikon Zf CV 50mm f1

Moody Stevie BW Final (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Dec 29, 2023 at 08:55 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.24 #5 · p.24 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Zeiss C-sonnar

Dec 30, 2023 at 07:30 AM
akashyap
• • •
p.24 #6 · p.24 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I havenít gone searching for the answer yet, but maybe someone here can help?

Do other Nikon Z cameras (or Canon cameras for that matter) have the manual focus face / subject detection feature? The idea of using eye / face detection from modern cameras with a manual focus confirmation / assist seems incredible for MF lenses, especially now that Voigtlander is making lenses for Nikon. Iíd prefer a Z7 over Zf for ergonomics.

Another easy one maybe: can the same manual focus face / subject detection work for smart adapters like the Megadap E to Z or Techart M to Z?

Thank you! Answers to these questions may make me question going down the Sony or Leica route for my manual focus lenses.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:26 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.24 #7 · p.24 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

ZF is the only Nikon with the MF face detect. Us Z9 and Z8 folks are hoping we get it this year.

Jan 01, 2024 at 12:04 AM
OffTrail
• •
p.24 #8 · p.24 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

akashyap wrote:
I havenít gone searching for the answer yet, but maybe someone here can help?

Do other Nikon Z cameras (or Canon cameras for that matter) have the manual focus face / subject detection feature? The idea of using eye / face detection from modern cameras with a manual focus confirmation / assist seems incredible for MF lenses, especially now that Voigtlander is making lenses for Nikon. Iíd prefer a Z7 over Zf for ergonomics.

Another easy one maybe: can the same manual focus face / subject detection work for smart adapters like the Megadap E to Z or Techart M
...Show more

Like Scott said, the Zf is currently the only Nikon with MF subject detection. I can't see why it wouldn't make its way to others, though.

With native, chipped lenses (such as Voigtlander lenses), you get the same accuracy of the AF system with a green confirmation box. So no punching in, no peaking, just turn the ring until the box around the eye/face/subject turns green. It's phenomenal.

With non-CPU lenses on an FTZ, you don't get any confirmation but you do get recognition. So when you do go to punch in, it zooms to whatever the camera is tracking.

I can't speak to most smart adapters, but I do have the TTA MZ 6-bit adapter. The focus confirmation box works, but it doesn't seem as accurate as with native, chipped lenses. I haven't shot a ton with the TTA, but it doesn't seem like I can rely on the green box the same way that I can with a native lens. I'd be interested in seeing how everyone else is getting along with the fancier adapters.

Jan 01, 2024 at 12:48 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.24 #9 · p.24 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

OffTrail wrote:
Like Scott said, the Zf is currently the only Nikon with MF subject detection. I can't see why it wouldn't make its way to others, though.

With native, chipped lenses (such as Voigtlander lenses), you get the same accuracy of the AF system with a green confirmation box. So no punching in, no peaking, just turn the ring until the box around the eye/face/subject turns green. It's phenomenal.

With non-CPU lenses on an FTZ, you don't get any confirmation but you do get recognition. So when you do go to punch in, it zooms to whatever the camera is tracking.

I can't
...Show more

It does work with the other smart adapters , you can change the focus type to MF and techart will no longer move but you can still manual focus with confirmation. I believe you can do the same with the megadap , one person here is using it with the Loxia lenses. I don't think any other camera has these manual focus helpers currently.

Jan 01, 2024 at 07:34 AM
C.Rankin
• •
p.24 #10 · p.24 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Was thinking of picking up the Techart AF adapter for M to Z for my non cpu manual focus lenses like the Biotar 58mm f1.5 since I heard it works pretty well. Any here have experience with that adapter?

Jan 01, 2024 at 08:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JustShootMe
• • •
p.24 #11 · p.24 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

C.Rankin wrote:
Was thinking of picking up the Techart AF adapter for M to Z for my non cpu manual focus lenses like the Biotar 58mm f1.5 since I heard it works pretty well. Any here have experience with that adapter?

I have used it with the Jena Biotar 58 F2 and quite a few other previous manual lenses , works well but not as good as the native AF glass of course. I have been playing around with the super takumar , and Konica lenses as well. It does the job.

Jan 01, 2024 at 09:51 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.24 #12 · p.24 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

C.Rankin wrote:

I have it... In low light, it's pretty awful. Basically anything indoors it has a very hard time focusing accurately and in fact for most of my use it can't focus at all and gets stuck at min focus distance. Outdoors in good light it's okay. You have to check focus a lot more than with a native lens because sometimes it will be close but zooming in, misses focus by quite a bit. The AF is loud but it is pretty quick to focus in good light. If you get one, make sure to set the lens to infinity focus and to the proper F-stop for your mm of lens. Those settings definitely seem to help the AF.

I was a bit worried about the 4.5mm of extension compared to some of the close focus adapters that have 7-8mm's like the shoten etc. For my sonnar 50mm with a native close focus of .9m or just around 3 feet it reduces that to about 18" which is great imo. I don't need macro, I just wanted to have the ability to get a bit closer the odd time.

Overall, it's a techart. Their customer service is non existent and they charge a premium for what could end up being a paperweight. (I can't get my older techart e-z adapter to work with my ZF still). I snagged mine from B&H used for $299 vs the $399 new price. I felt like that was a bit easier pill to swallow.

I also have the ttartisans focus adapter. That's also a great adapter. A bit lightweight feeling but it works really well. In the end, I'm 50/50 on the techart. When it works, it's great, when it doesn't it's frustrating and you're back to manual shooting with a very expensive adapter over say the TTartisans.

Hope my ramblings help....

Jan 01, 2024 at 10:10 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.24 #13 · p.24 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Hardcore wrote:
I have it... In low light, it's pretty awful. Basically anything indoors it has a very hard time focusing accurately and in fact for most of my use it can't focus at all and gets stuck at min focus distance. Outdoors in good light it's okay. You have to check focus a lot more than with a native lens because sometimes it will be close but zooming in, misses focus by quite a bit. The AF is loud but it is pretty quick to focus in good light. If you get one, make sure to set the lens to infinity
...Show more

I've used it in some pretty crappy bar light with no real issues , if you ignore the aperture setting on the camera itself, and the lens is to far away in aperture value from what the body says it will have trouble auto focusing , that is my experience , they need to be close or match. If the exposure is out of whack (to under exposed) it will also have trouble.. it's quirky to say the least. These are taken with the voigtlander 50 1.5 MC II taken with the camera held above my head to shoot over the crowd in AFC.

Jan 01, 2024 at 10:16 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.24 #14 · p.24 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

JustShootMe wrote:
I've used it in some pretty crappy bar light with no real issues , if you ignore the aperture setting on the camera itself, and the lens is to far away in aperture value from what the body says it will have trouble auto focusing , that is my experience , they need to be close or match. If the exposure is out of whack (to under exposed) it will also have trouble.. it's quirky to say the least. These are taken with the voigtlander 50 1.5 MC II taken with the camera held above my head to shoot over
...Show more

That's great you are having good luck with low light. Defintely not the case for mine. Maybe there is copy variation and hence why mine was returned and discounted to B&H? lol. That said, I have shot concerts before and while it is low light, there is contrast between the subject and the backgrounds. The situations mine struggles with are lower light and low contrast subjects.

Jan 01, 2024 at 10:55 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.24 #15 · p.24 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Hardcore wrote:
That's great you are having good luck with low light. Defintely not the case for mine. Maybe there is copy variation and hence why mine was returned and discounted to B&H? lol. That said, I have shot concerts before and while it is low light, there is contrast between the subject and the backgrounds. The situations mine struggles with are lower light and low contrast subjects.

That makes sense , there needs to be some contrast I guess for it to work ? Guess it just depends on what, and where you shoot.

Jan 01, 2024 at 11:04 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.24 #16 · p.24 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

OffTrail wrote:
Do other Nikon Z cameras (or Canon cameras for that matter) have the manual focus face / subject detection feature?

I can't speak for all models, but recent Canon R bodies such as my R6 Mark IIs also have this. It's called Focus Guide, and it works in manual focus in conjunction with subject and eye tracking. I believe it is similar to what the Zf does. You do need chipped lenses.

Slim pickings so far in native RF mount, but the new CV Nokton 50 1.0 and 40 1.2 are hopefully a sign that more are coming.The new Laowa 10mm will likely be chipped, but not AF, for RF mount.

Jan 02, 2024 at 11:48 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.24 #17 · p.24 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

garyvot wrote:
I can't speak for all models, but recent Canon R bodies such as my R6 Mark IIs also have this. It's called Focus Guide, and it works in manual focus in conjunction with subject and eye tracking. I believe it is similar to what the Zf does. You do need chipped lenses.

Slim pickings so far in native RF mount, but the new CV Nokton 50 1.0 and 40 1.2 are hopefully a sign that more are coming.The new Laowa 10mm will likely be chipped, but not AF, for RF mount.

That's news to me , that's pretty cool. I guess without many third party lenses some of those features fly under the radar. I like their implementation. Does it also work with adapted lenses ? One YouTuber said you couldn't zoom in for critical focus while using the subject detection, and Focus guide , is that correct?

Jan 02, 2024 at 01:26 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.24 #18 · p.24 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

JustShootMe wrote:
That's news to me , that's pretty cool. I guess without many third party lenses some of those features fly under the radar. I like their implementation. Does it also work with adapted lenses ? One YouTuber said you couldn't zoom in for critical focus while using the subject detection, and Focus guide , is that correct?

Canon's Focus Guide works with any electronically connected lens (for manual focus that means Zeiss ZE provided you're not using a dumb adapter, CV's new native RF lenses, and not much else). The point of Canon's Focus Guide and Nikon's green focus confirmation box is to not have to zoom in to achieve focus. So no, they don't work zoomed in by design.

Edited on Jan 02, 2024 at 02:26 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2024 at 02:19 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.24 #19 · p.24 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

highdesertmesa wrote:
Canon's Focus Guide works with any electronically connected lens (for manual focus that means Zeiss ZE provided you're not using a dumb adapter, CV's new native RF lenses, and not much else). The point of Canon's Focus Guide and Nikon's green focus confirmation box is to not have to zoom in to achieve focus. So no, they don't work zoomed in.

True but you can zoom on the Nikon once the subject is detected , if you don't trust the green square. I thought it was odd that this is disabled on the canon side.

Jan 02, 2024 at 02:26 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.24 #20 · p.24 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

JustShootMe wrote:
True but you can zoom on the Nikon once the subject is detected , if you don't trust the green square. I thought it was odd that this is disabled on the canon side.

Canon's Focus Guide is just as accurate as Canon's eye-AF, which is nearly infallible. If you couldn't trust it (as you can't with many other brands, which focus on eyelashes or eyebrows), I wouldn't use it, at least not wide open.

Jan 02, 2024 at 02:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.