Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              29       30       end
  

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

  
 
sarkleshark
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Second copy of the Ttartisan M to Z 6 bit adapter also does not work on the Zf. You need to keep the reset button on the adapter depressed in order to fire the shutter same as the first copy I tried. Likely not defective just not currently compatible with the Zf unless I am doing something wrong. Anyone else tried this??


Oct 20, 2023 at 01:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


sarkleshark wrote:
Second copy of the Ttartisan M to Z 6 bit adapter also does not work on the Zf. You need to keep the reset button on the adapter depressed in order to fire the shutter same as the first copy I tried. Likely not defective just not currently compatible with the Zf unless I am doing something wrong. Anyone else tried this??


Likely not compatible with the current adapter firmware. It may be a good idea to let them know about it.



Oct 20, 2023 at 01:28 PM
ZdevilH1
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


This latest Nikon body is intriguing to me as I have contemplated upgrading my trusty Leica SL. Now, I have to admit that I have been so out of touch with Nikon since my days of shooting with the D700 and dedicated F prime lenses in terms of the 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2, & 85mm f1.4.

Today, I enjoy my M mount lenses a whole lot, so I am hoping that Voigtlander continues to expand the offering for Nikon Z mount lenses. Now I also understand that I can go the route of F mount lenses via their adapter but I am not knowledgeable enough to know what I may be losing in terms of IQ/handling by going to their legacy lenses on their latest mirrorless cameras.

Last, perhaps the entry point for me would be to shoot with my existing M glass via M-Z adapter just like you did and start that journey. Thank you for the post.



Oct 20, 2023 at 07:58 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


ZdevilH1 wrote:
Now I also understand that I can go the route of F mount lenses via their adapter but I am not knowledgeable enough to know what I may be losing in terms of IQ/handling by going to their legacy lenses on their latest mirrorless cameras.


IQ is improved on modern cameras because of the addition of IBIS. This is a really cool time to be shooting old glass.



Oct 20, 2023 at 08:16 PM
woodstork
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Iíve been dabbling with CV glass on my Z7 with the 50mm/2 APO and love it. Hopefully the Zf camera stimulates CV to produce a wider range of Z mount lens versions, because it certainly seems like a great match. Then Iíd buy the Zf and 3 or 4 more CV lenses as a kit.


Oct 21, 2023 at 03:13 PM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


highdesertmesa wrote:
Not only does it work as a D-pad to move the focusing point, it sort of pivots like it's in a bowl. Hard to describe, but it's not completely separate-feeling clicks like the Leica and Fujifilm D-pads. You can put your thumb on it, and it feels like it swivels around. Not exactly as good as a joystick, but better than I expected.



Good to know; thanks! The good olí familiar Nikon D-pad, that pivots like a bowl, is exactly what I had hoped that the Zf would have. Life is good.

That pivoting D-pad/bowl is a significant reason I prefer Nikon DSLRs for shooting action/birds/wildlife. (I still use Canon, my first system, for macro, and some other less-active subjects.)



Oct 22, 2023 at 10:40 AM
sarkleshark
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Hi, I was able to update the firmware of the TTArtisan Leica M lens to Nikon Z 6-bit code adapter ( had to try a different pc as the first would not recognize the adapter) . Update went smoothly. I can now say the adapter now works well-very solid and manual focus confirmation now works with the focus box turning green Even with NON-CODED Voigtlander zm lenses! In af-s mode with a manual Voigtlander lens the trap focus also works but does not always notice focus. Email respnse from TTArtisan was immediate (first thing next morning). Thanks


Oct 23, 2023 at 12:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


sarkleshark wrote:
Hi, I was able to update the firmware of the TTArtisan Leica M lens to Nikon Z 6-bit code adapter ( had to try a different pc as the first would not recognize the adapter) . Update went smoothly. I can now say the adapter now works well-very solid and manual focus confirmation now works with the focus box turning green Even with NON-CODED Voigtlander zm lenses! In af-s mode with a manual Voigtlander lens the trap focus also works but does not always notice focus. Email respnse from TTArtisan was immediate (first thing next morning). Thanks


Is that the firmware 1.0.1 from their page? https://ttartisan.com/?Firmware/M-Z-6Bit.html



Oct 23, 2023 at 01:22 PM
sarkleshark
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Yes firmware 1.0.1 Image stabilization icon is present but I don't know if the focal length is correct . That is, is it set by the adapter or does it need to be set manually.

I cannot find any custom user profiles that can be set and remembered for easy changes.



Oct 23, 2023 at 01:42 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Thought this size comparison might be helpful showing how the Zf plus 40 f/2 SE fits in a carry bag designed for the M system. The Zf is quite a bit taller than the M, but it doesn't take up all the much more room in the other dimensions.

Artisan & Artist Gear Box Pro ACAM 63D Camera & Lens Pouch

https://leicastoremiami.com/products/artisan-artist-gear-box-pro-acam-63d-camera-lens-pouch?variant=34302584717443
















Adding M adapter + 35 Lux pushes the limits of the bag width




Oct 23, 2023 at 02:03 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

AndereObjektiv
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Zf with only 24mp in 2023 is just sad. Please give us a Zf with a 45.7mp sensor, dearest Nikon.


Oct 23, 2023 at 08:20 PM
BruceRH
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


AndereObjektiv wrote:
Zf with only 24mp in 2023 is just sad. Please give us a Zf with a 45.7mp sensor, dearest Nikon.


That is what stops me with regards to the Zf.



Oct 23, 2023 at 08:32 PM
Alistair1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


I have a Z9 and original Z6 and at normal viewing size I have to check the Exif to see which camera an image is taken on.

But I have a question regarding eye AF with manual lenses; if the camera is set to focus priority, AFC with eye detection and the shutter release is held down, does it operate as a focus trap and if so is it reliable?



Oct 23, 2023 at 08:38 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


To see if I would like to use the ZF w/ adapted M lenses, I played with my Z7. I use Kipon adapters which are extremely well made, and attached my CV 40 1.2. Oh, and the Kipon adapter hits infinity perfectly at the lens' hard stop.
Focus just using peaking - no magnification. The fact that the ZF has new manual focus tools should make it better.




Oct 23, 2023 at 10:08 PM
Thury
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


BruceRH wrote:
That is what stops me with regards to the Zf.


I use a Z6 with "only" 24 Mp. I still believe in the logic behind the definition of the depth of field : if it is sharp when looking at a 20x30 cm (8x12") print at normal viewing distance, then it is sharp enough. With a 24 Mp camera, this criterion is more than over-matched so I do not need more pixels.



Oct 23, 2023 at 11:02 PM
BruceRH
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


Thury wrote:
I use a Z6 with "only" 24 Mp. I still believe in the logic behind the definition of the depth of field : if it is sharp when looking at a 20x30 cm (8x12") print at normal viewing distance, then it is sharp enough. With a 24 Mp camera, this criterion is more than over-matched so I do not need more pixels.


I understand that but, I find cropping very useful. I can travel lighter with smaller lenses and still get reach. I use MFT quite a bit so I am very used to fewer MPís. I also have an M10-R and the extra MPís come in handy at times. The Nikon Zf is the type of camera body I like, but for me to make the jump to a different system, including some native lenses, I would like a higher rez system. Maybe I will still pick one up once it goes on sale or I can find a great used one. Itís great to have choices.



Oct 24, 2023 at 08:23 AM
jon595
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


sarkleshark wrote:
Yes firmware 1.0.1 Image stabilization icon is present but I don't know if the focal length is correct . That is, is it set by the adapter or does it need to be set manually.

I cannot find any custom user profiles that can be set and remembered for easy changes.


I also am a new Nikon Zf owner and use the TTArtisan 6bit adapter. When I first got it, the Zf would not fire the shutter unless the 'reset' button on the adapter was held down. So I plugged it into my linux laptop and the information txt file was all gibberish. Thinking I had to use a Windows laptop, I plugged it in there as well and still saw only gibberish text in the txt file. So I downloaded the 1.0.1 firmware, dragged the file over, ejected the device and plugged it back in and now the text file reads correctly that it is version 1.0.1.

Now the adapter works just fine on the Zf in that it records the proper focal length for my lenses and IBIS seems to be working great as I was handholding landscape shots at 1/4 without any blur. The lenses I'm currently using are Voigtlander 21mm f/3.5 Color Skopar (6bit coded to be a Elmarit M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH), Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Nokton Classic II MC (6bit coded to be a Summilux -M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH) and a TTArtisan 50mm f/1.4 ASPH (6bit coded as a Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH). The adapter picks up the hand painted 6bit dots I put on just fine (as does my Leica M10) and things seem to be working well.

The only issue I've been having is that when shooting with these adapted lenses, the exposure preview in the EVF can sometimes be darker by about a 1/2 to a full stop than what the image will be when the shutter is pressed. From what I've read, that has to do with the camera guessing aperture and not having full communication with the lens.

Overall, the Zf is awesome for my use case. It is my primary camera for sports and events and very nice to use for portraits, which the M10 shares duties with. I've paired it with the Tamron 35-150mm f/2-2.8 lens for the above mentioned and that lens is a beast in all the good ways.








Oct 24, 2023 at 08:49 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


jon595 wrote:
I also am a new Nikon Zf owner and use the TTArtisan 6bit adapter. When I first got it, the Zf would not fire the shutter unless the 'reset' button on the adapter was held down. So I plugged it into my linux laptop and the information txt file was all gibberish. Thinking I had to use a Windows laptop, I plugged it in there as well and still saw only gibberish text in the txt file. So I downloaded the 1.0.1 firmware, dragged the file over, ejected the device and plugged it back in and now the text file
...Show more

The image taken and the one in the EVF should match regardless of electronic communication between the lens and camera. I've only seen discrepancies when shooting outside the exposure limits of the camera, for example: wide open where the proper exposure needs higher than 1/8000 sec. You can work around the 1/8000 limit by setting the lowest ISO to Lo1 instead of ISO 100, and the exposure preview will match again.



Oct 24, 2023 at 10:15 AM
jon595
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


highdesertmesa wrote:
The image taken and the one in the EVF should match regardless of electronic communication between the lens and camera. I've only seen discrepancies when shooting outside the exposure limits of the camera, for example: wide open where the proper exposure needs higher than 1/8000 sec. You can work around the 1/8000 limit by setting the lowest ISO to Lo1 instead of ISO 100, and the exposure preview will match again.


That would be the expected behavior, but something is going on and it's not due to the exposure limits of the camera. Thom Hogan commented on a post I made on dpreview forums with this:
"It's been a long while since I've spent much time with this, but even in the DSLR world there were issues concerning MF lenses, particularly non-AI, with the metering system. It typically has to do with variability in the stop down of the aperture, but because the matrix metering system also tries to take into account focus distance, there are other potentials for problems."




Oct 24, 2023 at 12:29 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses


jon595 wrote:
That would be the expected behavior, but something is going on and it's not due to the exposure limits of the camera. Thom Hogan commented on a post I made on dpreview forums with this:
"It's been a long while since I've spent much time with this, but even in the DSLR world there were issues concerning MF lenses, particularly non-AI, with the metering system. It typically has to do with variability in the stop down of the aperture, but because the matrix metering system also tries to take into account focus distance, there are other potentials for problems."



If you put the same lens on a dummy adapter does the problem go away?



Oct 24, 2023 at 12:38 PM
1       2      
3
       4              29       30       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              29       30       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.