New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              29       30       end

Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Here's how the LLL 50mm SPII looks mounted on the Zf.

At infinity, f/2 is fairly soft all the way around the edges (it's sharp across the frame at f/2 on the M11M). Seems sharp across the frame on the Zf except for the extreme corners at f/5.6. Corners completely sharp by f/8.

Oct 18, 2023 at 02:40 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Just kills me that some of the adapters are adding almost 100% more length to some of these lenses. Interesting shape on that one.

Oct 18, 2023 at 02:46 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

RoamingScott wrote:
Just kills me that some of the adapters are adding almost 100% more length to some of these lenses. Interesting shape on that one.

Interesting is one way to put it

Shows you how thick a Leica M would have to be to accommodate IBIS and a flip screen.

Oct 18, 2023 at 02:54 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
The MF focus assistance is intriguing, but the green focus confirmation is perfect. The latter only functions due to electronics, so regrettably, it won't function with adapted M-lenses.

Yeah I don't think it will be long before other manufacturers copy this feature. It works with the subject detection so as the eye is detected you can manually focus until the box turns green and fire away. You can set how much of the sensor the subject detection works in (only 3 options) , I have it set to Wide-L which covers about 50% of the frame. There is a much smaller box, but there's quite a bit of a buffer zone around the box where it begins to work. The box of course can be positioned anywhere in the frame.

Edited on Oct 18, 2023 at 03:18 PM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2023 at 02:59 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

JustShootMe wrote:
Yeah I don't think it will be long before other manufacturers copy this feature. It works with the subject detection so as the eye is detected you can manually focus until the box turns green and fire away.

Definitely curious if this gets ported to the Z8/Z9, shouldn't be a technical reason why it couldn't be.

I'm assuming the Eye AF assist is also only for chipped lenses.

Oct 18, 2023 at 03:05 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

RoamingScott wrote:
Definitely curious if this gets ported to the Z8/Z9, shouldn't be a technical reason why it couldn't be.

I'm assuming the Eye AF assist is also only for chipped lenses.

Correct , you still detect and can zoom on any lens chipped or not , but you will only get the focus confirmation on chipped lenses. This is the same on the Z8/Z9 but without the subject detection in MF.

Oct 18, 2023 at 03:09 PM
Kasper6188
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Ttartisan makes an M to Z 6 bit adapter that lets you use subject detection in MF with focus confirmation box by letting you leave it in AFC and leaving you as the focus motor. You can use it in AFS also. With release set to fire only on focus you can hold shutter and manually focus, when it locks focus it will fire. This adapter doesnít work on the zf though, the other Z bodies yes.

Edit: Seems there was a firmware update in Oct. Maybe zf support! Will also work with old MF nikkors. Tta adapter with an m to f adapter stacked.

https://ttartisan.myshopify.com/products/m-z-6bit-adapter-ring

Oct 18, 2023 at 07:02 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
The MF focus assistance is intriguing, but the green focus confirmation is perfect. The latter only functions due to electronics, so regrettably, it won't function with adapted M-lenses.

We also need to consider image degradation in the form of amplified field curvature when using M-lenses on the Nikon sensor stack.

It seems that you can only get both the green focus confirmation and optimal image quality when using the Nikon adapter with Nikon lenses or Voigtlander Z-mount lenses.

It also works with the TTartisan 6-bit adapter (at least on the Z7)

Oct 18, 2023 at 07:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Did anyone try it on the ZF? It would be great to get 6-bit and green focus confirmation with M lenses. Iíve used this adapter on the Sony and it worked well.

fjablo wrote:
It also works with the TTartisan 6-bit adapter (at least on the Z7)

Oct 18, 2023 at 07:32 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
Did anyone try it on the ZF? It would be great to get 6-bit and green focus confirmation with M lenses. Iíve used this adapter on the Sony and it worked well.

Ya, I'm interested in this as well. Will buy one tomorrow if confirmed it works on the ZF.

Oct 18, 2023 at 07:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kasper6188
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I donít believe it works on the Zf yet. When the z30 came out it didnít work and they had an update for it. Hopefully they do the same for Zf.

Oct 18, 2023 at 07:58 PM
sarkleshark

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

I got one yest. The mount seems solid--no play but it doesn't work. The shutter won't fire unless the reset button is held down. My pc will not recognize it when connected so I cannot update the firmware.
Likely a defective unit. Damm

Oct 18, 2023 at 07:58 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Since my test shots earlier in this thread with the 35 Lux on the Zf were in such ugly midday light, here's one with the 35 Lux from this evening to set things right

Leica 35mm Summilux FLE II

NIKON Z f    0 mm f/-- lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/40s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:23 PM
pkmx

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Kasper6188 wrote:
Ttartisan makes an M to Z 6 bit adapter that lets you use subject detection in MF with focus confirmation box by letting you leave it in AFC and leaving you as the focus motor. You can use it in AFS also. With release set to fire only on focus you can hold shutter and manually focus, when it locks focus it will fire. This adapter doesnít work on the zf though, the other Z bodies yes.

Edit: Seems there was a firmware update in Oct. Maybe zf support! Will also work with old MF nikkors. Tta adapter with an
...Show more

Is there an update? I only see v1.0.1 on their website which is dated in May.

This would be the one I'd suggest if you want to adapt M-mount or vintage SLR lenses. The trap focus is so much better and quicker than focus peaking/magnification. IMO Nikon should just enable that for all MF lenses so we don't have to buy those chipped lenses/adapters to pretend that we have an autofocus lens mounted.

Oct 19, 2023 at 02:46 AM
Kasper6188
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

pkmx wrote:
Is there an update? I only see v1.0.1 on their website which is dated in May.

This would be the one I'd suggest if you want to adapt M-mount or vintage SLR lenses. The trap focus is so much better and quicker than focus peaking/magnification. IMO Nikon should just enable that for all MF lenses so we don't have to buy those chipped lenses/adapters to pretend that we have an autofocus lens mounted.

The may one is the latest. I accidentally clicked the lens under the adapter on the download page and thats what showed an Oct update.

Oct 19, 2023 at 05:03 AM
Thury

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Kasper6188 wrote:

Edit: Seems there was a firmware update in Oct. Maybe zf support! Will also work with old MF nikkors. Tta adapter with an
...Show more

It's just disappointing that lenses wider than 28mm are not supported by this adapter (at least non coded ones ?)

Oct 19, 2023 at 08:09 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

Thury wrote:
It's just disappointing that lenses wider than 28mm are not supported by this adapter (at least non coded ones ?)

You're right. The TTA M-Z 6-bit adapter can't program a 6-bit code for uncoded lenses wider than 28mm because its focal length adjustment dial starts at 28mm. However, it will work with 6-bit coded lenses wider than 28mm.

Just to confirm, the M-Z 6-bit adapter is currently not compatible with the new ZF. Correct?

The latest firmware update was released back in May.
Hopefully TTA will release an update soon: https://ttartisan.com/?Firmware/M-Z-6Bit.html

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:14 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

The Shoten Contax Zeiss (C/Y) to Z adapter arrived today. I'm impressed with the build and function. Infinity focus is just right before the hard stop, and the design is complementary to the CZ lenses, which keeps them from looking stupid like a plain/smooth surface adapter would. It clicks into place like a native lens to both camera and lens, and the tolerance is neither too loose nor too tight. The different Novoflex adapters I have are consistently too short and hit infinity focus far too soon, around the 10m mark.

Pictured are the CZ 35 f/1.4 and 45 f/2.8, but I'll also be using the 50 f/1.4 and 100 f/2.

If Voigtlander were to make a pancake 45 2.8 this small that didn't require the length of this adapter, they would have a big seller.

Contax Zeiss (C/Y) Tessar T* f/2.8 - 45 mm

Contax Zeiss (C/Y) Distagon T* f/1.4 - 35 mm

Oct 19, 2023 at 03:49 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

It really does feel like Nikon has gone very deep in thinking the user experience of photographers using MF lenses on the Zf.

I am more and more tempted to get one to use with my Voigtlander Z 35 and 50mm APO-Lanthar.

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:28 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon Zf as a platform for adapted/native manual focus lenses

highdesertmesa wrote:
The Shoten Contax Zeiss (C/Y) to Z adapter arrived today. I'm impressed with the build and function. Infinity focus is just right before the hard stop, and the design is complementary to the CZ lenses, which keeps them from looking stupid like a plain/smooth surface adapter would. It clicks into place like a native lens to both camera and lens, and the tolerance is neither too loose nor too tight. The different Novoflex adapters I have are consistently too short and hit infinity focus far too soon, around the 10m mark.

Pictured are the CZ 35 f/1.4 and 45 f/2.8, but
...Show more

It looks so cool, if you don't watch carefully you could easily think it is a black FM2. Oh man I got to get me one of those!

Oct 20, 2023 at 09:35 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.