Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25              27       end

Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Desmolicious wrote:
Next up is @AmbientMike@@

AmbientMike to the courtesy phone please so we can confirm to send it to you!

Wow, a courtesy phone, even! Truly a first class operation

Been on the lookout hoping it shows up early enough to get the eclipse Monday. Probably a long shot though. Not sure if this camera can handle totality though looking kinda cloudy anyway

Are we supposed to ship FedEx or Priority mail or what? M8ght be a FedEx box nearby

Apr 04, 2024 at 11:12 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

AmbientMike wrote:
Wow, a courtesy phone, even! Truly a first class operation

Been on the lookout hoping it shows up early enough to get the eclipse Monday. Probably a long shot though. Not sure if this camera can handle totality though looking kinda cloudy anyway

Are we supposed to ship FedEx or Priority mail or what? M8ght be a FedEx box nearby

Ship however you want. I used USPS Priority mail flat rate shipping just because it was so easy for me.
Just need to make sure you have a tracking number!

Apr 06, 2024 at 12:38 PM
ZdevilH1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Just made it back to Houston.
Camera is shipping out to @AmbientMike this afternoon via USPS.

Apr 10, 2024 at 03:46 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

We are 2/3rds of our way there!

Apr 10, 2024 at 04:41 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Walking down the old road to the bayou, to take the photo, I heard a B&W warbler calling! Very cool and apropos, for this project

Apr 14, 2024 at 07:04 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Part of me thinks we should fire up a second camera. Say, with C-41...
Calling Desmolicious, calling Desmo....

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:46 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

sirimiri wrote:
Part of me thinks we should fire up a second camera. Say, with C-41...
Calling Desmolicious, calling Desmo....

Let's finish this one first!

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:44 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Desmolicious wrote:
Let's finish this one first!

Agree, better to get one done project right first.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:56 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Mailed it to @stockshas Monday, hopefully gets there soon

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:39 AM
stockshas
• •
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Looking forward to it. Will post an update once it arrives. Thanks

AmbientMike wrote:
Mailed it to @stockshas@ Monday, hopefully gets there soon

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bjhurley
• • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Inching closer to the first of six border crossings (six including the last one from Australia back to the US)!

Apr 18, 2024 at 01:16 PM
stockshas
• •
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Camera arrived. Will get it to next on the list soon. Will post n update when itís on the way.

Apr 21, 2024 at 05:52 PM
Seabassius
• • •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

I stayed away from this thread because I was scared of film, but it is so cool to go through and read all of these. Can't wait to see the end result.

Apr 21, 2024 at 07:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Seabassius wrote:
I stayed away from this thread because I was scared of film, but it is so cool to go through and read all of these. Can't wait to see the end result.

That's like a writer being scared of paper.

The physical / tactile element of writing on paper ... or photographing on film, is a "right of passage" that is fundamental to understanding what writing / photography are, in their namesake.

I realize that the craft of image making (film or digital) and the ability to capture a moment in time are not fully dependent upon the media (film vs. digital), but ... waxing philosophical aside ... DUDE, You gotta DO IT ... at least once in your life, even if as only an academic exercise to instill the processes into your mind.

On your own, or through an academic class / course ... go for it.

Nothing to be scared of ... just like learning to walk a tightrope without a net. It sharpens and hones your attention to your beloved craft.

Apr 21, 2024 at 07:41 PM
madNbad
• • •
p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Seabassius wrote:

Film is great! Itís digital that scares me. All those menus and choices plus you can just change the ISO whenever you want to! Weíre all looking forward to the results, too.

Apr 21, 2024 at 09:32 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

As someone who learned photography on film, I don't like auto-ISO. There's just something about it that I don't like. In a way, using auto-ISO offends me. Does that sound strange to you?

Maybe it's that I spent so many years shooting Kodachrome, and I spent so much time and effort on assessing light to assure that I got the narrow exposure latitude just right for the image, including a little deliberate underexposure. When shooting film -- chromes in particular -- you had a duty to be vigilant about assessing the scene's lighting and finding the right exposure value for the film. It was very much like walking a tightrope without a net, and indeed it sharpened your skills.

Auto-ISO seems to be the antithesis of careful contemplation of exposure. It allows people to shoot without giving much -- if any -- thought to exposure value. It allows you to just select aperture and shutter speed, irrespective of whether they would work well together or not, and force the camera to introduce as much noise as is required to make them work.

I really don't like auto-ISO. I think it's the enemy of cognition in the photographer, as it allows people to take images without really thinking too much about exposure. Maybe I'm totally off base on this. Maybe I'm just a remnant from the era where conscious attention to exposure value was a weakness in the art of photography that we just had to deal with, and today's technology has liberated us from that constraint -- to the point that people who have never shot film don't even have to contemplate exposure because auto-ISO just takes care of that for them, and allows them to focus on image creation in a different way.

But to me, the way that auto-ISO removes you from calculating exposure just seems evil.

Apr 22, 2024 at 07:46 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

coralnut wrote:
As someone who learned photography on film, I don't like auto-ISO. There's just something about it that I don't like. In a way, using auto-ISO offends me. Does that sound strange to you?

I also learned photography on film and shot film from the late 1960s until 2000 before switching to digital (and started shooting film again last year). I have nothing against auto-ISO on digital cameras but I only use it in certain conditions, mainly low-light concert and dance photography where I want to set aperture (for my desired depth of field) and maintain a constant shutter speed (to avoid too much motion blur). On a full-frame digital camera it's fine to let the ISO choose itself; I'm frequently shooting in very dark clubs where ISO is well over 12,800 but it can vary widely based on what I'm shooting (I use spot metering). Auto-ISO saves me a lot of time; I can shoot an entire concert with the same settings regardless of the lighting on individual musicians.

In daylight when shooting digital I usually use aperture priority and fix the ISO, letting the camera choose the shutter speed. I monitor the shutter speed to make sure it isn't too low (or too high, in which case I have to deactivate EFCS).

For film, most of my cameras are entirely manual; I do have one that has aperture- or shutter-priority modes where the camera will choose the shutter speed or aperture respectively. Conceptually this isn't different from auto-ISO: you're setting two parts of the exposure triangle and letting the camera choose the third.

The one element of digital photography that has changed the way I shoot film now is that I'm not afraid to change ISO when shooting a roll of film. Ilford advertises that XP2 can be shot at ISO 50 all the way up to ISO 800 on the same roll and processed normally, and I've done it; it works fine. For other films, instead of applying exposure compensation if I'm using a filter for all or most of a roll of film I'll sometimes just change the ISO (which makes absolutely no difference from the film's perspective). It's easier for me, as I have a good gut sense of what conditions an ISO 100 film can handle vs an ISO 800 and that's simpler than thinking "I've got an ISO 800 film with a two-stop ND and exposure compensation." I can just set the ISO to 200 in that case and I can tell even before taking a reading whether I should remove that filter.

I never did anything like this when I shot film before, mainly because after an initial start with Tri-X I switched to slide film and used it exclusively for 30+ years, so exposure had to be handled very precisely. Print film is much more forgiving and I find that liberating. And of course the thought that I could change ASA/ISO instead of using exposure compensation never entered my head because I was always taught that film had to be shot at one ISO only.

Apr 22, 2024 at 08:19 AM
Oldwino
• • •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

I dunno...I shoot more film than digital these days, and most of my cameras are fully manual (no AF, no meter, etc). I get by just fine with those. I also have several cameras with built in meters. They work great too, and save me a step. Ditto with my cameras that offer some automation in exposure; again, just saves me some time. And the meters in these more "modern" cameras are really great. My Nikon F4 even offers two Program modes! And it almost never fails me!

Some of the "promises" of digital was that they were going to be smaller, lighter and easier. While not always living up to those promises, in general, they are very easy cameras to use, if you choose to go that route. And I would rank Auto ISO as being among the most important time saving features that digital cameras offer. I love it.

Apr 22, 2024 at 09:07 AM
coralnut
• • •
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

I've never had a problem with using exposure compensation, or a minor change in ISO (which is it's equivalent). When shooting chromes I'd normally use the aperture ring to subtly underexpose. I don't have a problem with any of this -- they're 3 different ways that accomplish the same thing, and you're still thinking consciously about exposure when you select one of them.

What I don't like about auto-ISO is that it offers the ability to completely remove the exposure triangle from photography, which I think is a technological crutch that ultimately impairs the shooters who rely on it. In saying this, I'm thinking of the people who leave their camera set to auto-ISO and then step out of the bright sunlight and into a dark room and shoot an interior in ambient light without even thinking about the differences. That kind of situation disconnects the brain from the process of capturing an image, and turns any digital camera into a point-and-shoot, Ph.D. (push here, dummy) camera. It's just one of those situations where technology facilitates being stupid, and eliminates the entire concept of earning the shot.

Apr 22, 2024 at 09:13 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Anyone interested in a film one photo project?

Auto-exposure has become more common with the development of high DR sensors where also noise is less of an issue at very high ISO. I don't have any of such camera yet - the FF sensors I am using are now almost 10 years old. Good ISO range to use stops at 3200 to 6400 at max. I am not using Auto ISO at all simply for the reason that I don't like to suddenly see more noise than absolutely needed in my final images. Like with film, I always set my ISO manually - rarely above ISO 800. Camera menus allow to set a max ISO range when using Auto ISO, but I rather trust my own ISO selection depending on the situation where I take photos.

Apr 22, 2024 at 09:20 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.