Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

jjasef
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

To the OP, getting a different system won't make your setup any more mobile or capable to be frank.

If getting a new system helps satisfy the itch of getting something new, I totally get it

But for me, Godox AD200 fits the bill on being mobile and what works for my what I do (headshots, environmental portraits).

I wrote this awhile ago on how I packed -- majority if video when I was DP for Twitter's Behind the Tweets series but I also covered what I brought when I traveled for Doordash for a photoshoot (https://jcasasphotography.com/kwb) campaign:

https://blog.jcasasphotography.com/this-is-what%E2%80%99s-in-my-luggage-when-i%E2%80%99ve-shot-sophie-turner-dwyane-wade--alicia-keys

These were all lit with one AD200:
https://jcasasphotography.com/yosemite-place

I used to have the AD200 dual bracket adapter but it actually never fit my needs for my scope of work.

Again, if you're wanting new equipment to "motivate" you to do new work, then I get it. Otherwise, what you have is more than capable to achieve whatever you're trying to do.

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:20 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

i had a horrible Elinchrom experience years ago where 2 of their lights literally burned out (circuit board melt). They were only a few months old. Elinchrom replaced the first 2 and then told me they would no longer honor the warranty if I used them in a beauty dish.

That pretty much ruled them out for any future consideration for me...

Oct 22, 2023 at 06:46 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

jzucker wrote:
i had a horrible Elinchrom experience years ago where 2 of their lights literally burned out (circuit board melt). They were only a few months old. Elinchrom replaced the first 2 and then told me they would no longer honor the warranty if I used them in a beauty dish.

That pretty much ruled them out for any future consideration for me...

I guess the system can overheat when using a beauty dish. I recall when I got my Softlite white with grid package, there was a warning about using too high power of modeling light or flash energy (don't remember which) with the combination. I usually don't use the grid and use the diffuser with a white deflector inside. I have never had issues with it but I don't punch through at a fast pace and high flash energy.

Oct 22, 2023 at 07:51 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

I'm not concerned about using a BD with the classic Profoto heads—at least those with fan cooling—although the sock accessory might be iffy.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:17 AM
rek101
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

To me, if you don't like an interface, unless you're using it nearly everyday, it will always be a distraction or somehow slow you down. Godox could check every box and if you don't like using it, you don't like using it. If you liked the profoto interface, that's an option, but there's also a trigger from Raven that has a different interface that can be used with Godox. Is that an option?

Oct 28, 2023 at 05:44 PM
zeitlos
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

Thank you! Yes, sometimes it‘s easy even if some people might think it‘s too easy.

Wow, I have never heard about this Raven trigger. Just looked it up. Interesting! Anyone who has tried it already?

Oct 29, 2023 at 01:34 AM
zeitlos
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

Ah… only for Nikon and Canon it seems https://fusiontlc.com/pages/camera-and-flash-compatibilities

Oct 29, 2023 at 01:43 AM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

OP:

I don't know what camera body you use, but if you're looking for mid-range I think Nissin has a lot of good offerings for Canon / Nikon and potentially Sony and their user-interface is well regarded. I'm using Panasonic S1/S1r and Nissin isn't comaptible there but if it were, that would have been my preference.

I think high-end brands do a good job standing behind their products beyond just getting the basics right an area that Godox or others have faltered in the past.

I haven't used Godox yet but people have advised buying the Flashpoint re-brand of Godox from Adorama because of how they handle warranty compared to buying Godox branded directly from B&H or Amazon. I have just completed an order from Adorama of some Flashpoint strobes, following my own advice here. Maybe Godox/B&H is able to better handle warranty stuff (again, no personal experience) but I read enough "negatives" I just wanted to avoid any hassles all together.

Oct 30, 2023 at 06:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Push1stop
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

If youre looking into Elinchrom i have two sets we could work out a competitive price on, theyre from 2016, only used a handful of times.
Elinchrom ELB 400 action to go head/kits
2 battery pack setups with two (A) heads

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:01 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

jlafferty wrote:
Elinchrom is overall good, if you’re simply asking about quality of light. But their quirks have made it so that they’re not broadly adopted or widely supported. Once you buy Elinchrom you’re locked into their modifier system - I’m not an expert in it, I’m sure they make great modifiers overall, but I’m not at all clear what their answer is to niche things like optical spots. And the things they’re good at - the Elinchrom line of octas are among, if not the best - aren’t so singular and essential that I need to get into their system. For
...Show more

I have 12X Elinchrom strobes (Five, One, ELB500, ELC 500 etc) and I use all types of modifiers. I even use the Wescott Optical Spot. Never had any issues. Some modifier brands I use with my Elinchrom strobes include Glow, Westcott, Impact, Cheetah, Lastolite, Photek and more. One of the main reasons I buy Elinchrom is the local USA customer support. I have called Elinchrom customer support and have actually spoken with their hands-on repair techs who are very helpful troubleshooting issues with me. They also have a USA repair center with fast turnaround. Their strobes and battery systems are repairable (for the most part), and not disposable like other cheaper brands.

Mar 03, 2024 at 10:14 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

Game Changer wrote:
I have 12X Elinchrom strobes (Five, One, ELB500, ELC 500 etc) and I use all types of modifiers. I even use the Wescott Optical Spot. Never had any issues. Some modifier brands I use with my Elinchrom strobes include Glow, Westcott, Impact, Cheetah, Lastolite, Photek and more.

I'm going off memory which, at my age, is sometimes imperfect. I was thinking of the smaller Elinchrom packs and heads being definitely something I wanted to avoid due to their speedrings, but this is an outdated mindset I see. I also see there's Elinchrom to Bowens speedrings, nice to know.

Game Changer wrote:
One of the main reasons I buy Elinchrom is the local USA customer support. I have called Elinchrom customer support and have actually spoken with their hands-on repair techs who are very helpful troubleshooting issues with me. They also have a USA repair center with fast turnaround. Their strobes and battery systems are repairable (for the most part), and not disposable like other cheaper brands.

This is the same reason I've bought most of my Godox kit through Adorama - they have two year replacement warranty, and a repair center in NJ for when the two years expire. I, too, have troubleshat with a rep on the phone. It's a nice bit of security in an otherwise smooth experience. And having a place where you can drop by and have your firmware flashed for free, as I just did, is also a nice touch.

Edited on Mar 16, 2024 at 07:50 AM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2024 at 10:41 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

Here's my take, drawing from my experience going through the same process. As an enthusiast, I firmly believe in investing in gear that inspires you to actively engage in photography.

For travel purposes, I believe one needs to balance the desirable spread and the power to stay small and light, exploiting every photon for the pictures. Options like umbrellas and softboxes are great compromises for controlled spread and power for that soft light.

With that, I find that Profoto's zoomable reflectors offer a compelling blend of power and coverage in a compact form. The flat front particularly excels in maximizing power when shooting without modifiers, making it advantageous for minimal setups. Both the A2 and B10X from Profoto serve as excellent options for a minimalist travel kit.

That being said, Godox presents alternatives like the AD100 and AD200, both equipped with a flat front head. The AD100, featuring a zoomable round head, stands out for its efficiency. At the 85mm setting (though much wider in reality, more like 50-55 degrees), it delivers approximately 1-stop less power than the AD200 fresnel head. According to Rob Hall's tests, the AD200 fresnel head (with much smaller spread of around 40-degree) proves highly efficient, outshining the AD400 (by 1.2 stops) and AD600 (by 0.8 stops) with their less effective stock reflectors. Extrapolating from this data, the AD300 would require a highly efficient reflector (around 2 stops) to showcase its half-stop advantage over the AD200 fresnel head. Unfortunately, such reflectors tend to be bulky. The collapsible Glow EZ 20 might offer a solution. On the flip side, the AD200 fresnel head, while less flexible, may provide a less desirable light spread. While I lack the AD-S2 reflector for a bare bulb assessment, I have reservations about its efficiency. Overall, both the AD100 and AD200 outperform the Profoto A2 and B10X in bare flash power. Although the AD100 surpasses the A2 in all aspects, IMO, the B10X does hold certain advantages over both the AD200 and AD300. The inclusion of Profoto OCF reflectors is a notable bonus, but the Godox Nano X remains a compelling travel option.

Elinchrom, given its larger and heavier build compared to equivalent Profoto and Godox models, doesn't seem practical for travel in my opinion. The Elinchrom 3 bare bulb design, as anticipated, proves less efficient than the Profoto flat head by more than a stop. Despite this, the UI seems to be comparable to Profoto.

In the end, I stay with Godox, mainly the price, and hope for the development of a round flat head AD300 similar to the B10X in the future.

Mar 06, 2024 at 03:03 AM
ianwatts

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

zeitlos wrote:
What do I want to do?

Travel photography, i.e. environmental portraits. It should be as light/mobile as possible.

Individual portraits (classic) at home in the apartment (not so much space) or in the garden/outside.

That means I would need a mobile (but probably unleashed) flash and maybe in addition 2-3 flashes that can also be used in sunlight!

My options that I currently see:

1. Stick with Godox (even if the system doesn't motivate me to work with it...).

It sounds a bit like you are looking to buy more gear and find a use for it rather than identifying what you actually need to achieve a specific photographic aim. Why do you "maybe" need 4 heads to take an environmental portrait? Will you be taking an assistant with you? I've seen great work taken with just one flash (and plenty without any artificial light).

I get the attraction to owning nice stuff and Profoto is certainly in that category but the fancy gear itself shouldn't be the motivation behind taking a photograph. My advice is to use the Godox flashes that you have until find a real limitation – not enough power, inconsistent colour that can actually be seen in your photographs, reliability issues, etc.– and then buy some new gear.

Mar 06, 2024 at 08:17 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

Years ago I upgraded my entire Bownes system to Profoto. IT cost me a fortune but it was a wise choice. I have 6 D1's, 2 B1's nearly all the Deep brollies and lots of softboxes and their original beauty dish. Lots of grids. I have 3 of their original Air remotes and an ETTL remote. So I'm quite heavily invested.

BUT... if I was doing it again I'm not so sure. Godox have caught up a lot and neow offer excellent, stable options. And they're innovating much more than anyone else. I have their AD200Pro and it is stellar and their remotes are solid & affordable.

In the meantime, Profoto have ditched all phone support, hey've closed down a lot of their offices (no UK office for us Brits). Their service times are not good and the newer strobes (B10 range) require a trip to a service agent just to change the tube. And with these newer strobes the build quality isn't so great. I hear far too many issues with the new Connect remote. And there is STILL no affordable pack system or option with an open tube - so para modifiers are generally not an option unless we're buying an old, used pack.

I do love my Profoto gear. Fortunately the B1 / D1 strobes are well made. But a replacement set of capacitors did cost me the same as an entire Godox 600Pro... I'm locked into the PF ecosystem and won't be changing.

But if I need a pack system I'll be buying the Godox model and I'm loving my excellent Westcott Rapid beauty dish and Elinchrom Octas. If my Deep brollies break I'll be replacing with equal but cheaper Godox ones.

If I was doing it again, I might have Godox in my bag.

Mar 06, 2024 at 02:19 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

Look into Wescott FJ 400 units. They work great never had a misfire.

When I had Godox I almost threw them against a wall, the trigger just sucks. I love Profotos but the costs where too high

Apr 11, 2024 at 06:54 AM
John Straus
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

I know this is an old thread but one thing to think about is overheating. As a hobbyist might not matter but if you get into work where you push your strobes it will. Most low power units (100-300) will not fair well. The 400-600 will be far better in the Godox Westcott camp. I know Profoto and I believe Elinchrom will do better across the board. I own Godox & Profoto up to 300w, had Elinchrom Quadras & plug in 500w Pro units before there current One Three Five models... Also misfires etc are heavily dependent on what other interference is around you... When I work in the downtown area I get misfires with all brands, back in the suburbs I don't...

May 07, 2024 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.