New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Any experience with the Leica X-U?

weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

Everytime I get back from the beach with my RX1, GRII, etc, I always wish for a similar style camera that is waterproof / sandproof. Big sensor, great, fast (ish) lens, etc. I'm always so worried about sand in my cameras at the beach that I hesitate to use them, and the wonder why I brought them to begin with.

Anyway, the Leica X-U stands out as the (only?) camera that provides an APS-C sensor, f/1.7 lens, and waterproof / dustproof. It's also still quite expensive on the used market it seems (if you can find one). As far as I'm aware, there's no other camera like that.

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Oct 06, 2023 at 09:40 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

weezintrumpete wrote:
Everytime I get back from the beach with my RX1, GRII, etc, I always wish for a similar style camera that is waterproof / sandproof. Big sensor, great, fast (ish) lens, etc. I'm always so worried about sand in my cameras at the beach that I hesitate to use them, and the wonder why I brought them to begin with.

Anyway, the Leica X-U stands out as the (only?) camera that provides an APS-C sensor, f/1.7 lens, and waterproof / dustproof. It's also still quite expensive on the used market it seems (if you can find one). As far as
...Show more

Had to look it up. Never heard of the Leica X-U.
Shockproof, dustproof, waterproof 16MP APS-C CMOS sensor and 23mm f/1.7 Summilux lens (35mm equivalent):

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/04/leica-x-u-typ-113-review-waterproof-dustproof-shockproof-a-camera-for-all-my-adventures/

Oct 07, 2023 at 06:01 AM
SlowDriver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

No personal experience but here is another review:
https://joerivanderkloet.com/short-leica-x-u-review/

Please take into account that in case of problems you might run into difficulties getting it repaired. I do not believe Leica officially still repairs them but if that were to happen you could always try this guy who has taken on the task of repairing older Leica X cameras:
https://www.macfilos.com/2022/11/07/david-slater-takes-on-the-task-of-repairing-old-leica-digital-cameras/

Oct 07, 2023 at 06:54 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

Itís a very cool camera and I wanted one until I got distracted by the next shiny thing.

Oct 07, 2023 at 11:43 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

Never heard of this model before but now I want one for hikes, biking, street photography in the rain/snow, and more. Reviews are quite positive!

Oct 07, 2023 at 02:47 PM
mahimihi

[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

Do you bury your cameras in the sand? Use them and clean them. Iíve never had an issue. Last time I went to the beach my M10R did quite well. The only thing to worry about is the front element of your lens. Put a clear filter on and off you go.

Or donít shoot Leica and get something more robust like a Nikon dslr.

Oct 07, 2023 at 03:37 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

Thanks guys. I'm not surprised that many people hadn't heard of it. There's none on the B&S board, so that's an indication as well.

By all accounts, it was a nice camera, definitely nicer than other cameras that are weather resistant. Those all tend to kinda suck in my experience. But it's old now, so I wonder about the IQ. The images from the links above make it seem good.

mahimihi wrote:
Do you bury your cameras in the sand? Use them and clean them. Iíve never had an issue. Last time I went to the beach my M10R did quite well. The only thing to worry about is the front element of your lens. Put a clear filter on and off you go.

Or donít shoot Leica and get something more robust like a Nikon dslr.

Nope, don't bury them, but when I'm dealing with kids and a dog, there are many, many chances for it to get dumped in the sand. Not to mention me wanting to use it with sandy wet hands. It's just not ideal and from my understanding, sand can be a massive problem for cameras, but maybe that's not true?

Did you set your M10R down in the sand? Did you handle it with sandy and/or wet hands?

Oct 07, 2023 at 04:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mahimihi

[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

weezintrumpete wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm not surprised that many people hadn't heard of it. There's none on the B&S board, so that's an indication as well.

By all accounts, it was a nice camera, definitely nicer than other cameras that are weather resistant. Those all tend to kinda suck in my experience. But it's old now, so I wonder about the IQ. The images from the links above make it seem good.

Nope, don't bury them, but when I'm dealing with kids and a dog, there are many, many chances for it to get dumped in the sand. Not to mention me wanting
...Show more

No I donít put my cameras on the sand. And yes, I handled my camera with wet hands and sand on them. I just clean the camera after. I carry a small camera bag and I put it in there when Iím not shooting it.

I was also smart enough to decide a long time ago never to have kids. So my wife and I take our time for ourselves when we go to the beach. She reads and I take a nice peaceful walk to take pictures.

The solution for you is not to buy some discontinued Leica. Just get a small camera with a big sensor. The one to get is the Ricoh GRiii. Then you put that inside a waterproof bag for compact cameras. Do some research.

You can also hang a generic waterproof bag around your neck and throw the GR in there when you need to take care of kids.

Or put your phone around your neck in one of those things and take pictures with your phone. Seems like youíre too busy with kids to take photos at the beach. The photos with the iPhone will look amazing in that light anyway.

Itís not that you canít take photos at the beach with any Leica. There have been photographers taking photos at the beach with every camera ever made for 100 years. Your particular issue is you have to take care of your kids and occasionally snap photos and you have your hands full with diapers and snacks and kids screaming and fighting and ice cream and suntan lotion. Etc etc etc.

The. X-U is completely sealed. If you attempt to open it youíll break it. So it canít be serviced. Also the electronics canít be sourced anymore. When that Leica X-U dies youíll have to throw it away. Thereís no repairing it. Just stay away from it.

Oct 07, 2023 at 04:39 PM
theHUN
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

weezintrumpete wrote:

Anyway, the Leica X-U stands out as the (only?) camera that provides an APS-C sensor, f/1.7 lens, and waterproof / dustproof. It's also still quite expensive on the used market it seems (if you can find one). As far as
...Show more

I bought one as a compact underwater camera for my snorkeling trips, for the same reason you listed, but also because my TG-5 got a scratch on the front lens and it was visible on all images.

The X-U arrived in my hands just as the pandemic started, so I've only had it in the water on one occasion. I found the auto focus to be slower than that of the Oly. Also, the raws appear to be "baked" with some color correction profile that happens to be imperfect, thus causing a circular color pattern in the dark parts of the image when the scene has a high dynamic range. It is solvable by overexposing by one stop, but then you will likely have blown highlights.

Auto ISO will remain at ISO100 when in underwater mode and auto aperture. Only when you turn off auto aperture or underwater mode will the camera use higher ISOs in auto ISO.

It has been a somewhat underwhelming underwater camera when compared to the TG-5, so I am thinking of getting a TG-6 and taking both on my next snorkeling trip.

Oct 07, 2023 at 05:32 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

Thanks all.

theHUN wrote:
I bought one as a compact underwater camera for my snorkeling trips, for the same reason you listed, but also because my TG-5 got a scratch on the front lens and it was visible on all images.

The X-U arrived in my hands just as the pandemic started, so I've only had it in the water on one occasion. I found the auto focus to be slower than that of the Oly. Also, the raws appear to be "baked" with some color correction profile that happens to be imperfect, thus causing a circular color pattern in the dark parts of the
...Show more

Thanks for sharing your experience with the camera. Sounds like it's not all rosy. I was drawn to the ability to shoot with somewhat hallow DOF due to the APS-C sensor and 23/1.7 lens, which the TG line can't do.

It seems like it might do well as an all weather camera, but maybe not specifically as an underwater camera (which it was somewhat marketed to be).

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:55 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

Might be worth giving Olympus m4/3 a look. Their weather sealing is really good on the bodies, not sure which/any of the small primes are equally sealed.

I think they would hold up to what you are describing really well (i.e. don't actually go underwater...), and if something did happen they aren't terribly expensive assuming you don't need the newest model.

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:44 AM
bkscott

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

I have one and I don't think I will ever get rid of it. I really like the image quality and the DNG files are very easy to work with (not unique to this camera but still a plus). It is also built like a tank (even compared with other weather resistant professional grade cameras). I feel comfortable just putting it directly in my pack and climbing over rocks etc with it hanging around my neck on a strap. I have not found it to be great underwater but that is not something I do much. For boating, adventure travel, the beach etc. it is great. The other primary issue is that the autofocus is very slow and misses quite a bit even when you think you are locked on to your subject. It is definitely not a great action camera. But for high quality images in any weather it is terrific. There is something about the image quality that I keep coming back to, even compared to newer cameras and I sometimes just carry it on dry land. One other note, it is probably best if you like the 35mm equivalent perspective---which I do.

Nov 15, 2023 at 04:28 PM
unodivoi

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

Hi everybody, I have just stumbled upon this thread as I am going through the same quest as weezintrumpete. I was actually wondering the same... how good is image quality and usability in 2023. My intentions are similar: take this camera out in any weather condition and in my trips in all circumstances in which I would not dare to use my more expensive full-frame and medium format gears... are you aware of any place on the internet where it could be possible to play with an X-U DNG file?

Thank you.

Edited on Nov 17, 2023 at 03:48 AM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2023 at 08:48 AM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any experience with the Leica X-U?

According to Kaufmann (in a 2019 interview) only 2,500 were sold...

Nov 16, 2023 at 01:01 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.