FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end

Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

sebjmatthews wrote:
I'll be shocked if we ever see any major company putting out one of these 'workhorse' lenses with a front filter any larger than 82mm.

Yeah, but when I was starting out in the aughts we sort of thought that about 77 as the "standard" for high end lenses, so who knows. I feel pretty good about agreeing that it's not going to go to friggin' 112 (hell, the 180/2 APO-Summicron-R is only 100), but among the common sizes there's an 86 they could jump to.

sebjmatthews wrote:
I take issue with the statement that it is "known for its exceptional brightness"

Yeah, I wonder if that was an issue with translation/localization. It probably should've been "noteworthy for...".

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:49 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

I am in the middle of switching from a Sony AF system to a Nikon one and what I like about this lens is that for me it will fill two niches of photography that I will want to shoot quite well. First, it looks like I will be able to use it for indoor sports and in my case my son's basketball games. I also have a 200 f/2 VR II F-mount lens for longer shots, but this lens will complement that well on a second camera. It is actually ridiculous overkill for what I am doing, but I kind of like that.Second, this looks to be a fantastic outdoor portrait lens and looks to be just exceptional for that. The lens is of course very expensive, but that it can do both these things so well means that I will almost certainly get it at some point.

Sep 28, 2023 at 05:23 AM
jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

runamuck wrote:
I guess I was right with "Plena money"

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Sep 28, 2023 at 05:48 AM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

I see people are comparing Sony and Canon 135s. Yeah the Nikon is bigger and heavier slightly but that’s because Nikon like to eliminate focus breathing in lens where Sony uses software to “eliminate” focus breathing

Sep 28, 2023 at 09:12 PM
docusync
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

ArizonaImage wrote:
I see people are comparing Sony and Canon 135s. Yeah the Nikon is bigger and heavier slightly but that’s because Nikon like to eliminate focus breathing in lens where Sony uses software to “eliminate” focus breathing

It does have focus breathing though: https://petapixel.com/2023/09/26/nikkor-z-135mm-f-1-8-s-plena-lens-hands-on-buckets-of-beautiful-bokeh/

Sep 28, 2023 at 09:21 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

ArizonaImage wrote:

In this case that is not an accurate statement. The Plena does have noticeable breathing.

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:08 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Yes, the Plena was optimized for many things, but focus breathing is not one of them.

Cheers,
Bernard

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:52 PM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

bernardl wrote:
Yes, the Plena was optimized for many things, but focus breathing is not one of them.

Cheers,
Bernard

I actually think focus breathing was considered. Nikons own words are “Smooth, precise focus pulls with minimal breathing”. As long as the breathing is minimal then you won’t notice it during focus pulls for a vast majority of scenarios. Focusing from mfd to infinity is worst case and not done often in video.

Here is the Sony in comparison, quite extreme lol and would be noticeable:

https://youtu.be/NmReyxS_ag8?t=138

Edited on Sep 29, 2023 at 12:42 AM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:19 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

bernardl wrote:

Cheers,
Bernard

I'm not so sure when it applies to a real life situation like this. Watch from 19.10min to 20min and watch as the lens keeps focus on the model but the background does not move one bit, the electric poles stay exactly where they are. I think this is a more accurate way to check for focus breathing as this would be how you would video a subject. I could be wrong but that looks good, IMO.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:38 AM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Lance B wrote:
I'm not so sure when it applies to a real life situation like this. Watch from 19.10min to 20min and watch as the lens keeps focus on the model but the background does not move one bit, the electric poles stay exactly where they are. I think this is a more accurate way to check for focus breathing as this would be how you would video a subject. I could be wrong but that looks good, IMO.

Exactly. This link is a good a demonstration of what I was trying to explain above.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

I think the main difference is that on Petapixel, they shift focus from several hundred meters
down to probably 5-10 m. On the this clip, distance change is just a few meters.

In real life, If I am shooting video, I don't think that I would be shifting focus from hundreds of meters
down to much closer focus point. Not sure how many lenses would pass this test at this range.
When Chris showed Sony 50/1.2GM focus breathing on his video, the range was not as extreme
as when he showed it with Nikon 135/1.8, I think.

On the other hand, since this clip really changes focus point of only a few meters, I think the
lens has to have severe focus breathing to show noticeable background shift, I would guess.

Sep 29, 2023 at 01:55 AM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

suteetat wrote:
When Chris showed Sony 50/1.2GM focus breathing on his video, the range was not as extreme
as when he showed it with Nikon 135/1.8, I think.

It looks noticeably more pronounced to me…
https://youtu.be/JYEFO3T9yAg?t=243

side by side with Z lens at shorter focus distance to give some perspective:
https://youtu.be/nUbXKIZzGOs?si=BDcGzpeWEvEi37Fr

Sep 29, 2023 at 02:53 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Buckeye2604 wrote:
It looks noticeably more pronounced to me…
https://youtu.be/JYEFO3T9yAg?t=243

side by side with Z lens at shorter focus distance to give some perspective:
https://youtu.be/nUbXKIZzGOs?si=BDcGzpeWEvEi37Fr

Yes 50/1.2 GM is well known for some focus breathing at near focusing distance.
Just for fun, I tried Zeiss 135/2 apo sonnar and long distance, 100+ meters and pull focus in.
I could see I lost some buildings at the edge into big bokeh blob as well. Not sure
if that is focus breathing or just that subject became a big fuzzy bokeh stuffs not unlike
what Chris showed in his 135/1.8 Plena video.
I think he really needs to show shifting focus point at closer range like he did with 50/1.2GM rather than
at near inifitiy.

Sep 29, 2023 at 03:32 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

bernardl wrote:

Cheers,
Bernard

I think we will need some further testing before we know the extent of the focus breathing in the new 135 f/1.8S Plena. It likely has some focus breathing as totally eliminating focus breathing is hard and usually very expensive. The test with a preproduction model at Petapixel was only a few seconds and if you follow Chris and Jordan who used to be a DPR you know that Chris who did this video focusses on stills, while Jordan focusses on video capabilities. So, this test by Chris was anything but exhaustive or thorough for testing focus breathing.

We also know that Nikon claims low focus breathing, but what that means is not clear and might be merely rhetoric. So let's wait and see what more thorough testing of actual production lenses tells us. From what we know so far the lens likely won't be totally free of focus breathing, but that isn't a reasonable expectation at this price point anyway. Some of the sample videos do suggest the lens might have fairly low focus breathing in at least some of the focus range, but these might be too optimistic just like Chris's short test may be too pessimistic. Just how much focus breathing and at what distances and apertures it occurs is something that will have to await further testing.

Sep 29, 2023 at 04:54 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Simply put, this lens was not optimized for focus breathing. But it is a trade-off I am down to take. I am curious to see the distortion of this lens as well.

Sep 29, 2023 at 05:04 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

In the meanwhile, let's have a look at this (warning: 172 MB download):
link
No CA. Which 135 mm lens is it?

Sep 29, 2023 at 05:24 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Ripolini wrote:
link

I don't know if I would say zero CA, but very low CA in a very tough scene. It could be any of a number of very good 135mm lenses including at least the Canon RF 135 f/1.8, the Sony 135 f/1.8 GM, the Sigma 135 f/1.8 Art, the Samyang 135 f/1.8, the Zeiss 135 f/2 APO, and the Zeiss Batis 135 f/2.8. You can see in the bokeh ball midway through the frame on the right, however, that the lemon shape is starting to emerge. This won't happen with the new Plena. There are a lot of great 135mm lenses, but Nikon has found a way to set this new Plena lens a part.

Sep 29, 2023 at 05:38 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Joseph. wrote:
We're all buying one, Plena simple.

It’s Plena see what you did there!

Sep 29, 2023 at 06:43 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Ripolini wrote:
link

I'm going to say Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO...because you're a big fan of it and the focus is so slow as to be manually focused.

Sep 29, 2023 at 07:25 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Nikon announced NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens

Sep 29, 2023 at 07:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.