FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
       29       30       end

Curious about Film

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #1 · p.28 #1 · Curious about Film

It is understandable for older Leicas to need shutter service as they could be 50+ years old.

But it is completely unacceptable for Leica to ship defective new cameras and lenses, especially as they brag about their QC controls. And then to make things worse - state a 9 month repair time.

Nov 21, 2023 at 04:09 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #2 · p.28 #2 · Curious about Film

My film collection has grown. . Ended up with two m4 BP's. Will be selling one of those, and maybe the silver m3.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:36 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.28 #3 · p.28 #3 · Curious about Film

You need to brass the brassable and sell for more than you paid!

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:03 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.28 #4 · p.28 #4 · Curious about Film

Fred Miranda wrote:
Can Youxin make it reversible?

what, am I speaking swahili?

Nov 25, 2023 at 02:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #5 · p.28 #5 · Curious about Film

I processed my second and third film rolls today simultaneously. It was quicker than the first time because the chemicals were ready, and I used a smaller bucket. Planning to scan the photos later today!

Both Portra 400 but I noticed that one roll had a longer film strip than the other:

Nov 25, 2023 at 03:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #6 · p.28 #6 · Curious about Film

lifeandmylens wrote:
Here's his breakdown (the seller paid $325 for the slow shutter speed fix and I paid the rest).

Leica MP replaced slow speed escapement with a new one - $250.00
Mask 75/135 frame lines - $80.00
Check and adjusts shutter speeds/brake - $40.00
30% Expedite fee - $111.00
Total - $481.00

Hey Shawn,
Did you get your Leica MP back from servicing? If you did, how do you feel about the absence of the 75/135 framelines?

Dec 11, 2023 at 04:25 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.28 #7 · p.28 #7 · Curious about Film

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hey Shawn,
Did you get your Leica MP back from servicing? If you did, how do you feel about the absence of the 75/135 framelines?

Love it! I plan to do it all my film cameras. That MP I actually sold already.

I only sold it because I also have a M6 TTL black paint .85 and just bought a MP black paint in .58 for the best of both worlds (famous last words?). Leica is addicting! I was curious if it would affect resale value and it certainly didnít. It sold for what I had in the camera in about an hour.

I had the 75/135 framelines removed as well from the M6 TTL. I plan to the do the same to the new incoming MP.

Dec 11, 2023 at 04:31 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.28 #8 · p.28 #8 · Curious about Film

lifeandmylens wrote:

I only sold it because I also have a M6 TTL black paint .85 and just bought a MP black paint in .58 for the best of both worlds (famous last words?). Leica is addicting! I was curious if it would affect resale value and it certainly didnít. It sold for what I had in the camera in about an hour.

I had the 75/135 framelines removed as well from the M6 TTL. I plan to the do the same to the new
...Show more

Pretty sure the .58 MP does not have 135 frame lines.

Dec 11, 2023 at 04:46 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.28 #9 · p.28 #9 · Curious about Film

Desmolicious wrote:
Pretty sure the .58 MP does not have 135 frame lines.

Ah good point. Are there 90 framelines on the 28?

Dec 11, 2023 at 04:51 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.28 #10 · p.28 #10 · Curious about Film

lifeandmylens wrote:
Ah good point. Are there 90 framelines on the 28?

Yes, 28/90.
35 by itself
50/75.
I had the 75 blocked off so it is just 35, 50 and 28/90.

I don't mind the 28/90 as there is such a big difference between those two, I don't pay any attention (or even notice) the 90.

Dec 11, 2023 at 04:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lifeandmylens
• • •
p.28 #11 · p.28 #11 · Curious about Film

Desmolicious wrote:
Yes, 28/90.
35 by itself
50/75.
I had the 75 blocked off so it is just 35, 50 and 28/90.

I don't mind the 28/90 as there is such a big difference between those two, I don't pay any attention (or even notice) the 90.

Thanks! Will wait to see what itís like but may mask the 90 and 75.

Dec 11, 2023 at 05:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #12 · p.28 #12 · Curious about Film

lifeandmylens wrote:

I had the 75/135 framelines removed as well from the M6 TTL. I plan to the do the same to the new
...Show more

Thanks for the info! I'm glad it worked out and it's something I may try one day. It's one of the reasons I like shooting with the M2.

Dec 11, 2023 at 07:02 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.28 #13 · p.28 #13 · Curious about Film

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for the info! I'm glad it worked out and it's something I may try one day. It's one of the reasons I like shooting with the M2.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I hope future digital bodies have the capability to switch framelines on & off. Now that they are illuminated by led, it seems like something they could pull off

Dec 16, 2023 at 06:44 PM
coralnut
• •
p.28 #14 · p.28 #14 · Curious about Film

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just developed my first color negative film roll! It's drying right now. I didn't have any rehearsal, so it was a bit tense to do it for the first time, but everything went smoothly. No issues at all. Well, I haven't scanned the images yet, but it looks like it worked. 👍

PS: That water container way to big!

I spend ~$200 for all the accessories.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/86/2645886.jpg

I hate to ask this question but I feel like I have to do it anyway:

What happens when you spill developing chemicals on a marble or granite countertop?

I know the stone countertops are probably treated with a sealant to protect them, but I'd be afraid of damaging them with a chemical spill.

Dec 17, 2023 at 07:11 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #15 · p.28 #15 · Curious about Film

coralnut wrote:

What happens when you spill developing chemicals on a marble or granite countertop?

I know the stone countertops are probably treated with a sealant to protect them, but I'd be afraid of damaging them with a chemical spill.

During my initial film development, a few chemical drops accidentally landed on the countertop during agitation. Luckily, it easily wiped off. As you mentioned, I believe it depends on how porous the surface is.

Dec 17, 2023 at 09:26 AM
coralnut
• •
p.28 #16 · p.28 #16 · Curious about Film

You must have nerves of steel. Or very good hand-eye coordination. Sooner or later I'd knock one of those bottles over and I'd get yelled at for working in the kitchen.

Dec 17, 2023 at 09:29 AM
stockshas
• •
p.28 #17 · p.28 #17 · Curious about Film

The blix I think itís called in c41 development is nasty. I now use a small tarp on the surface where I handle these. And gloves for sure.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:44 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.28 #18 · p.28 #18 · Curious about Film

coralnut wrote:

Marble countertops consist of calcium carbonate CaCO3. If sealed, nothing is gonna happen with a chemical spill. If unsealed, biggest danger comes actually from the acidic stopper based solution. Acid will react with calcium carbonate to form CO2 (gas) and water. It can destroy the smooth uncoated marble surface.

Blix (stands for BLeach and FIxer) consists of thiosulfate (the fixer) and bleach which is sodium hypochlorite. Both chemicals don't react with calcium carbonate. Therefore a spill of bleach (and also any of the developers used) won't affect the uncoated marble surface. Nevertheless, the dark Blix solution can leave from own experience nasty brown stains on surfaces after they dry. You can remove them with water and sponge if needed.

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:17 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.28 #19 · p.28 #19 · Curious about Film

stockshas wrote:
The blix I think itís called in c41 development is nasty. I now use a small tarp on the surface where I handle these. And gloves for sure.

Usage of nitrile gloves is a very good proactive PPE to use during development activities in general. If film development containers are shaken/inverted during development, I would also recommend to use cheap acrylic safety glasses in case the container is a bit leaking or accidentally not fully closed with its cap.

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #20 · p.28 #20 · Curious about Film

retrofocus wrote:
Usage of nitrile gloves is a very good proactive PPE to use during development activities in general. If film development containers are shaken/inverted during development, I would also recommend to use cheap acrylic safety glasses in case the container is a bit leaking or accidentally not fully closed with its cap.

I use these gloves. They are inexpensive, disposable and works great.

Dec 28, 2023 at 03:50 PM
       29       30       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

29       30       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.