1       2       3              8      
       10       end

New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Steve Spencer wrote:
I have taken two things away from the reviews: 1) the render is promising: 2) the ergonomics are questionable at best. I don't want an M mount lens with bad ergonomics but that is just me.

Yes—agree on both these. Ergo is meh. The lens has other nice things going for it though.

What I want to know is

a) mid-frame performance
b) global and micro-contrast (I was very unimpressed by the Simera 35/1.4 files. Flat and yellow-ish)
c) is the flare resistance good enough, both for ghosting and veiling, to shoot strongly backlit scenes.
d) performance on m and MILC cameras

I’ll probably go back to the CV 28/1.5, but no hurry and curious about this lens.

Feb 07, 2024 at 04:21 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Desmolicious wrote:
why doesn't the 28 have the black ring on the front like the 35

Rumor is they are releasing a special edition with a rainbow ring on front

Feb 07, 2024 at 04:22 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Rumor is they are releasing a special edition with a rainbow ring on front

That would reflect less than the chrome ring so I'm all for it!

Feb 07, 2024 at 06:29 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Desmolicious wrote:
That would reflect less than the chrome ring so I'm all for it!

lolol don’t temp them

Feb 07, 2024 at 07:18 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Anyone have any 28/1.4 RAWs I could play with? I am hoping to avoid having to buy this lens to try it, and I feel like I could get what I want to know from a couple RAWs.

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:52 PM
saxguy
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

I just sold my Q3 because I rarely shoot at 28mm. For the price, the Thypoch 28 seemed like a decent proposition for when I do need a wide option and having a 1.4 aperture makes things interesting. Reviews seem mostly positive. I picked one up and will play around with it a bit on my SL2-S.

Fred, want to borrow it to do some testing?

Feb 15, 2024 at 02:22 PM
jeffersoncasey
• •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Had a shooting walk with my friend few days ago, he got the new 35mm, and here are my few initial impressions:

1) The focus knob definitely feel foreign to me, not because of the placement which is OK to me, but I don't feel as connected as having a tab. But the clear 0.7m detent is really nice touch. Can't say much about the infinity lock though since it's only a short session.

2) Rendering is surprisingly contrasty yet gentle, with somewhat old school kind of sharpness wide open. Definitely a character lens but with modern feeling contrast and color.

3) Lens doesn't feel big without the hood, definitely manageable.

Can't say I like it or not but definitely an interesting lens, images came out of it definitely lovely, no apparent cons that I can point out.

Feb 22, 2024 at 02:47 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Thanks for posting the 28mm comparison. Great work as always with lots of information:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/comparison-fast-28mm-f-1-2-f-1-4-f-1-5-fullframe-lenses/

BastianK wrote:
Looks good, but will be sent out only after CNY at the end of February.
If everything goes well I will do a big fast 28mm comparison with 6 lenses in mid February though and will include the early sample of this 28mm.

Feb 26, 2024 at 06:54 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Anyone have any 28/1.4 RAWs I could play with? I am hoping to avoid having to buy this lens to try it, and I feel like I could get what I want to know from a couple RAWs.

Thanks!

Somehow missed that post.
If you point at any of the pictures from the 28mm comparsion or my article on the 28mm 1.4 I can upload them for you.

Feb 27, 2024 at 03:52 AM
Prosophos
• •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

This is so well done, thank you for your extraordinary efforts and detailed work:

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/comparison-fast-28mm-f-1-2-f-1-4-f-1-5-fullframe-lenses/

—Peter.

Feb 27, 2024 at 07:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

BastianK wrote:
Somehow missed that post.
If you point at any of the pictures from the 28mm comparsion or my article on the 28mm 1.4 I can upload them for you.

I didn’t tag you, probably why. If I could get these as RAWs, I’d love and appreciate it. and whenever I see people do these comparisons, I always weep a bit inside because they are so much effort—wonderful work!

Also, do you think it is fair to say that the 28 is the stronger of the new two Thypochs? Even flitting between the same photo of the same scene on an iPhone, the 28 seems to have more pop on axis. Thoughts?

Feb 27, 2024 at 03:55 PM
Victor Santos
• •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

@BastianK

Did you have a chance to try the 28/1.4 on the LM-EA9? I just picked one up to use on my a7cii with the Mr. Ding 50/1.1.

Victor

Feb 27, 2024 at 09:23 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I didn’t tag you, probably why. If I could get these as RAWs, I’d love and appreciate it. and whenever I see people do these comparisons, I always weep a bit inside because they are so much effort—wonderful work!

Also, do you think it is fair to say that the 28 is the stronger of the new two Thypochs? Even flitting between the same photo of the same scene on an iPhone, the 28 seems to have more pop on axis. Thoughts?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mxJlHlNXMBbmDNNQR17q8bYxk14CpD9B?usp=sharing
I will delete this folder from my google drive in a few days.
The one with the white hat was with the 35mm, you may have overlooked that.

Yes, I do think the 28mm is the better of the two. Especially when it comes to off center contrast at portrait distances.

Victor Santos wrote:
Did you have a chance to try the 28/1.4 on the LM-EA9? I just picked one up to use on my a7cii with the Mr. Ding 50/1.1.

I did. As with most lenses it works well in the central part of the frame but not exactly great outside of that area. The Mr. Ding is one of only a handful of lenses I came across so far that work really well everywhere in the frame.
The 28mm being a floating elements design, it wouldn't be my prime choice to use on that adapter

Feb 28, 2024 at 02:24 AM
Victor Santos
• •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

I did. As with most lenses it works well in the central part of the frame but not exactly great outside of that area. The Mr. Ding is one of only a handful of lenses I came across so far that work really well everywhere in the frame.
The 28mm being a floating elements design, it wouldn't be my prime choice to use on that adapter

Thank you!

Feb 28, 2024 at 05:31 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto wrote:

Thank you once again for an excellent review Bastian. I don't always agree with how you weight the importance of the information you provide in your reviews, but I appreciate greatly the care, thoroughness, and detail in reporting that information. You provide us with excellent information about lenses and that is very much appreciated even if people like me don't always come to the same conclusions based on that information that you provide.

Feb 28, 2024 at 09:28 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Steve Spencer wrote:
Thank you once again for an excellent review Bastian. I don't always agree with how you weight the importance of the information you provide in your reviews, but I appreciate greatly the care, thoroughness, and detail in reporting that information. You provide us with excellent information about lenses and that is very much appreciated even if people like me don't always come to the same conclusions based on that information that you provide.

Thank you!
I often point out in the reviews that what is right for me is not necessarily right for everyone.

Sometimes I am even surprised to read in the comments that someone agrees with everything that has been said in the review,
yet came to a completely different conclusion. I always take that as a good sign.

Feb 28, 2024 at 09:55 AM
ButteredToast

p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Any new reviews, has anyone else gotten their hands on the 28mm 1.4? While perhaps suboptimal, I am waiting anxiously for more info on whether or not this lens works well enough adapted to a Sony A7R4 camera.

Lensrental's 28mm roundup shows that the 28mm 2.8 Elmarit works on the Sony just fine, and I've found a copy locally for under 1k. I am tempted to jump on the Leica lens, but would love a larger aperture for low light situations and environmental portrait separation.

Mar 04, 2024 at 10:51 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

j.liam wrote:
Seems like lots of money for lenses from a maker that's maybe 30 minutes old. They seem to pop up in the PRC like mushrooms in the forest after a rainstorm. And probably the same longevity.

Caveat emptor.

Well-said! I will echo this. As another reply post indicated, the cost is enough to be a bit of a “heavy lift.” This is all the more so when the doubtful longevity, plus the, well, “world trade” situation are factored.

Cosina Voigtlander may not be perfect, but Steve Gandy, doing business as Cameraquest, provides the reassurance I need, as a US resident, to keep buying the occasional Voigtlander lens. There are still some VM lenses, and one Nikon F-mount, on my personal radar screen. If/When I finally add a Z camera, that list of targets will grow.

Mar 04, 2024 at 11:16 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

I can appreciate the concerns, but other than after-sales support, which from most of the Chinese brands seems to be questionable, once you have the lens, and if it works, does its provenance matter if it does what you want? If the brand disappears later this year, it's not like the lens will stop working. At least for US customers you can buy from B&H and return it within 30 days hassle-free if there are problems or have buyer's remorse.

I mean people are using old vintage glass long out of production that no longer has official brand support because it does something for them. I see at least the Thypoch 28 as something similar - it has a look that other fast 28s don't offer in a small package. Sure, it would be nice to buy at $350-400 but would it be sustainable for this new company?

Mar 04, 2024 at 01:49 PM
Justin.opr

p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

I haven't used the 28mm version but I have been using the 35mm version for a few months and I still love it. I posted my thoughts in this thread already but I like it over the CV 35mm f1.5. It is my everyday lens at this point while my steel rim reissue is at Leica for repair.

Talking about lenses with bad support, that lens cost almost 4k and after a month of use the aperture ring seized up. So now it is gone to Germany for "4 months" we will see how accurate their estimated timeline is, I am not optimistic.

Mar 04, 2024 at 04:34 PM
       10       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

10       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.