1       2       3              7      
       9       10       end

New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

serhan_ wrote:

That video illustrates something that greatly frustrates me with a lot of gear-oriented YouTube videos. How are we supposed to evaluate the images when they have been so strongly altered in post? Can reviewers not save that for a slide show at the end of the review and instead show samples with one of the natural color Lightroom or Capture One profiles?

/rant

Feb 01, 2024 at 12:34 PM
dieterson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

BastianK wrote:
Looks good, but will be sent out only after CNY at the end of February.
If everything goes well I will do a big fast 28mm comparison with 6 lenses in mid February though and will include the early sample of this 28mm.

This would be great, Bastian!
Looking forward to your comparison!
Up to now I see an advantage for the CV by contrast (landscape) and for the Simera by smoother background rendering (enviromental portraits).

Feb 02, 2024 at 12:52 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

highdesertmesa wrote:
That video illustrates something that greatly frustrates me with a lot of gear-oriented YouTube videos. How are we supposed to evaluate the images when they have been so strongly altered in post? Can reviewers not save that for a slide show at the end of the review and instead show samples with one of the natural color Lightroom or Capture One profiles?

/rant

Itís pretty much Dustin Abbott (though for this 28 Simera review he didnít even have an Leica or modded MILC so blah) Bastian and Fred for quality comprehensive technical reviews. Ming Thein used to be great too.

Most others are not informative enough (for me) or video reviews. Do you know any consistent solid text reviewers?

Feb 03, 2024 at 12:24 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Itís pretty much Dustin Abbott (though for this 28 Simera review he didnít even have an Leica or modded MILC so blah) Bastian and Fred for quality comprehensive technical reviews. Ming Thein used to be great too.

Most others are not informative enough (for me) or video reviews. Do you know any consistent solid text reviewers?

Yeah when other reviewers apply their presets to the images they show, it is not helpful in being able to judge the lens.

Feb 03, 2024 at 01:13 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

100%

Feb 03, 2024 at 01:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Desmolicious wrote:
Yeah when other reviewers apply their presets to the images they show, it is not helpful in being able to judge the lens.

+1

Even when using the "native" profiles that the camera mfr provides for correction ... that impedes the ability to judge the lens on the merits of the optic.

Imo, while a mfr correction profile is more convenient than doing the correction manually ... and folks do want to know how well that works ... it still means that the file (i.e. math) is being manipulated. Those manipulations may not mean much in routine things. But, when you get into situations that are demanding / pushed / etc. those corrections are amplified upon and may not hold up as well as a lens requiring less correction, when pushing in post.

So, good to know the diff between actual optic vs. mfr optic correction profiles (imo).

Feb 03, 2024 at 02:35 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto wrote:

All good review sources. I don't need many!

I do still appreciate casual YT videos that showcase images and are not technical "reviews", but sometimes it's really hard to learn anything useful from them because the edits are so ridiculous. Even more than that, a lot of the edits are simply poor from an artistic perspective. Maybe some of that is culture-specific color preferences, but a lot of it is simply "because I could do it, I did it" type of edits. I prefer for extreme edits to conform more closely to some sort of analog roots such as cross-processed film, etc.

Feb 03, 2024 at 07:13 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

28mm is in stock at B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1793037-REG/thypoch_tp_s28m_blk_full_frame_photography_lens_simera.html11

Feb 06, 2024 at 07:28 PM
coloradophotog
• •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

serhan_ wrote:
28mm is in stock at B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1793037-REG/thypoch_tp_s28m_blk_full_frame_photography_lens_simera.html11

I ordered mine to test on the Nikon ZF I should get it on Thursday.

Feb 06, 2024 at 07:39 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

For anyone who orders the 28/1.4, please post and let u know your impressions

Feb 07, 2024 at 10:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ashwinrao1
• •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

I too am curious about impressions. The lens looks BIG and a bit bulky, but optical properties seem compelling. I'd be more curious about the opinions of users at this time, but most review, including Bastien's initial comments and impressions, seem favorable. I would love to see some environmental portraiture. The rendering reminds me a bit of the 1st 35 lux asph PRE-FLE, which is a more rounded out imaging of the OOF (granted a less wide FOV)

Feb 07, 2024 at 01:46 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

I think I'm sold on the rendering of the lens. But I need to see if these lenses have good quality control and don't arrive decentered and/or poorly calibrated for the rangefinder.

Feb 07, 2024 at 01:50 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

ashwinrao1 wrote:
I too am curious about impressions. The lens looks BIG and a bit bulky, but optical properties seem compelling. I'd be more curious about the opinions of users at this time, but most review, including Bastien's initial comments and impressions, seem favorable. I would love to see some environmental portraiture. The rendering reminds me a bit of the 1st 35 lux asph PRE-FLE, which is a more rounded out imaging of the OOF (granted a less wide FOV)

I have taken two things away from the reviews: 1) the render is promising: 2) the ergonomics are questionable at best. I don't want an M mount lens with bad ergonomics but that is just me.

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:02 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:31 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Steve Spencer wrote:
I have taken two things away from the reviews: 1) the render is promising: 2) the ergonomics are questionable at best. I don't want an M mount lens with bad ergonomics but that is just me.

Ergos are huge to me. I disliked my CV 50 1.5 II because the focus ring IMO was too sharp/serrated. But it's positioning, weighting etc was perfect, and I fixed the feel by adding a rubber Taab focus ring. Now all is well!

But the Thypoch has the position of the ring basically by the lens mount, and there is no fixing that.

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:43 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

highdesertmesa wrote:
I think I'm sold on the rendering of the lens. But I need to see if these lenses have good quality control and don't arrive decentered and/or poorly calibrated for the rangefinder.

Yup, I want proper calibration w rf.

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:44 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

highdesertmesa wrote:

why doesn't the 28 have the black ring on the front like the 35

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:45 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Desmolicious wrote:
why doesn't the 28 have the black ring on the front like the 35

IDK, it makes no sense.

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:49 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Screen cap from Mr Leica review showing Thypoch 28mm vf blockage

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

highdesertmesa wrote:

Well, the diff's vs. the Q were quite enlightening.

Feb 07, 2024 at 03:55 PM
       9       10       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

9       10       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.