FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              9       10       end

New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Some more but very limited “reviews” are starting to drip on the 35mm…seems like the 35mm is reasonably well-corrected, but lacks punch like the FLE or ZM 35/1.4. Will be interesting to see if a “gentle” feel is a bit bland/anemic or nuanced and welcome. It’s a fine line for me.

https://keithwee.com/2023/12/22/a-first-impressions-review-of-the-thypoch-simera-35mm-f1-4-vintage-character-with-a-modern-touch/

https://fstoppers.com/reviews/review-thypoch-simera-35mm-f14-lens-652857

Dec 24, 2023 at 04:01 PM
thrice
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

It's very interesting, given their 35mm design is a blatant ripoff (with a slightly reconfigured floating group) of the FLE. Perhaps the change in the floating group allows simpler construction, thus lower cost in exchange for introducing SA or similar. Leica do a great job of blacking edges and barrel interiors so that can contribute to enhanced contrast on their lenses too.

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Some more but very limited “reviews” are starting to drip on the 35mm…seems like the 35mm is reasonably well-corrected, but lacks punch like the FLE or ZM 35/1.4. Will be interesting to see if a “gentle” feel is a bit bland/anemic or nuanced and welcome. It’s a fine line for me.

https://keithwee.com/2023/12/22/a-first-impressions-review-of-the-thypoch-simera-35mm-f1-4-vintage-character-with-a-modern-touch/

Dec 24, 2023 at 05:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

rscheffler wrote:
All the better for sunstars!

Kidding aside, I'm surprised that with all the apparent attention to design, they didn't feel the need to manufacture equally spaced aperture settings. The uneven spacing is typically a given with lower-end brands/models.

I'm thinking this is a specific design element, rather than lack of attention to design.

By that, I mean ... they have chosen to do something very unique by having 1/3 stops at the wider apertures, 1/2 stops at the middle apertures and whole stops at the smallest apertures. Imo, that's brilliant in that the amount of control for DOF becomes ever decreasing as you stop down, so who needs to fumble with 1/3 stops between f/11 and f/16.

You can always use your shutter speed for 1/3 increments, if it is absolutely critical for exposure (manual or Av Priority). With chromes, sure 1/2 - 1/3 was significant for exposure, but with digital 1/3 stop is meaningless for exposure (imo) on a pragmatic level.

Meanwhile, if you're doing precision focus stuff wide open, having the non-linear progression gives you more control. Absolutely a "marching to a different drum" kind of thing that I've not seen before, but I think it was totally by design and intent, rather than inattention and oversight.

Then, the whole "declickable" thing, as well as the detent when going from RF > EVF at the 0.7m mark ... yeah, they put some thought into this (vs. an inattention / oversight), imo.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:38 PM
dieterson
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Fstoppers reviewed the Thypoch Simera 35 f1.4:

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:19 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

dieterson wrote:

Was that a review though? A couple of paragraphs, three photos? And it seems that the three photos were taken on the Nikon? No mention, again, of the complete mess of the fonts.
Again claiming it was worth more than the asking price, ignoring the much better finished Voigtlander CV 35 1.5 is the same money. And the CV 35 1.4 v2 is less.

Dec 27, 2023 at 02:34 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

rscheffler wrote:
All the better for sunstars!

Kidding aside, I'm surprised that with all the apparent attention to design, they didn't feel the need to manufacture equally spaced aperture settings. The uneven spacing is typically a given with lower-end brands/models.

RustyBug wrote:
I'm thinking this is a specific design element, rather than lack of attention to design.

By that, I mean ... they have chosen to do something very unique by having 1/3 stops at the wider apertures, 1/2 stops at the middle apertures and whole stops at the smallest apertures. Imo, that's brilliant in that the amount of control for DOF becomes ever decreasing as you stop down, so who needs to fumble with 1/3 stops between f/11 and f/16.

OK, if that is actually the case, I wasn't aware of it. But from my experience, 1/3 stop increments on the lens are annoying when used on a Leica digital M because shutter speed increments (at least the cameras I have owned) are in half-stop increments, which doesn't mesh well with 1/3 on the lens (I started off with Zeiss ZM lenses that have 1/3 increments and it annoyed me). For it to then switch to half-stops midway through means one more thing to keep track of. And sensors now have so much latitude that 1/3-stop precise exposure control IMO really isn't that necessary (if shooting RAW).

I still feel it's a lazy solution made to look innovative. They have apparently kept the old style uneven aperture spacing that apparently is easier/cheaper to make and apparently added 1/3 and half-stop increments as a 'feature' to justify use of the uneven aperture spacing. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't buy it.

That said, if the reviews from reliable sources are decent, I'll gladly welcome these as options worth considering.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:45 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

dieterson wrote:

I posted this above. Funny they even called it a review 🙄

Dec 28, 2023 at 07:51 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

rscheffler wrote:
OK, if that is actually the case, I wasn't aware of it. But from my experience, 1/3 stop increments on the lens are annoying when used on a Leica digital M because shutter speed increments (at least the cameras I have owned) are in half-stop increments, which doesn't mesh well with 1/3 on the lens (I started off with Zeiss ZM lenses that have 1/3 increments and it annoyed me). For it to then switch to half-stops midway through means one more thing to keep track of. And sensors now have so much latitude that 1/3-stop precise exposure control IMO
...Show more

I hear ya. I never cared much for 1/3 stops ... but, the only place it does make sense to me is where they've got it. Lazy vs. thoughtful Just glad it doesn't have 1/3 stops all the way through ... I don't "count" 1/3 clicks very well. I can handle a few on the low end, just wouldn't want to try and count a dozen clicks to move four stops.

Dec 28, 2023 at 09:06 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Consistency in aperture stops across the full range? You guys are expecting way too much engineering from these fly-by-night, pump & dumpers for the price they're asking per unit. Seriously. Put together Thypoch, Astrhori, Mr Ding and Brightin Star and you've got, what, 12 months of business existence? All brandishing four nonsensical names? I remember when the venerable Light Lens Labs (24 months of manufacturing prowess) released pictures of their assembly line; dudes right off the street, in t-shirts and jeans at a table. That pesky hair inside the optical block now has a name.

Dec 28, 2023 at 09:36 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

j.liam wrote:
Consistency in aperture stops across the full range? You guys are expecting way too much engineering from these fly-by-night, pump & dumpers for the price they're asking per unit. Seriously. Put together Thypoch, Astrhori, Mr Ding and Brightin Star and you've got, what, 12 months of business existence? All brandishing four nonsensical names? I remember when the venerable Light Lens Labs (24 months of manufacturing prowess) released pictures of their assembly line; dudes right off the street, in t-shirts and jeans at a table. That pesky hair inside the optical block now has a name.

BrightinStar has been around since at least 2018. I really like their 28 2.8 body cap lens, no-one else makes anything like it. Plus if you look at the factory tour pics here, they seem to have as clean an environment as Leica:

https://brightinstar.com/pages/about-us

But unlike Leica I bet they don’t ship lenses with broken aperture blades.

If you read Bastian’s review of Mr Ding’s lens, it is quite the piece.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-mr-ding-optics-50mm-1-1-noxlux-m/

I agree re. this Thypoch operation. The finish of the lens is not good and asking Voigtlander money for them? Nope.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dieterson
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Dont like judging a lens before getting my hands on the lens. Hopefully Bastian will soon have one 28mm for a review!

Jan 01, 2024 at 03:16 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

I was simply too tempted--I got my copy of the 35/1.4 this afternoon from B + H. A gray day that quickly descended into evening, so very little and subpar light makes for a tough evaluation window.

But there's a couple things I have observed so far (and I am largely using the CV 35/1.5 and CV 35/2 Ultron as comp points as they are all in a similar price bracket).

- Feels well built, but a bit lite or tin-y. Not cheap though.
- The infinite focus lock acts as a nice focus tab.
- The bokeh is of a different structural variety than the CV 35/1.5 in a good way, probably not as smooth in the central area, but also not as swirly. See pic below. Much more uniform. I really dislike a centrally smooth and than very swirly in the corners look. The bokeh feels much closer in structure to the 35 Lux--not as bad either, but can be a bit bubbly. And, you can get Nissen or that double-edged bokeh in OOF areas.
- The lens is quite sharp WO centrally, but also feels lower in contrast. I'll know better once I shoot for a couple days and in different light, but this lens appears to be what I am finding with nearly every cheaper (in this case not really much cheaper manufacturer)--weaker micro-contrast than other lenses from CV, Leica or ZM. Meaning, you can push files around a bit but they often feel anemic and need post work. Sadly, I often don't find the colors and contrast to be lovely harmoneous palates like some old vintage glass.
- Central resolution even WO is quite good--fine textural detail is definitely there.
- Focus throw feels good--smooth, not overly high or low resistance.
- I always find 1/3 stop aperture increments annoying (which this has till f4)
- Looks lovely (I don't care at all about lens presentation, but I know many do).
- The focusing placement, to make room for the bollox mechanism, feels a bit crowded.
- The lens as a concave front element.
- Perfectly rounded aperture blades stopped down.
- Internal focus design is great
- Short MFD is good, but increased SA
- I wonder if the lens is optimized for certain focus distances--I feel like it does better at short and mid-distance than MFD or infinite. Testing will bear this out.
- Definitely has some axial CA, but probably not quite as much as the CV 35/1.5.

- My initial very limited impression: it's cool and better built than other 3rd parter 35mm options I've tried, but you're not really going to replace a CV with this unless you have ergo complaints or specifically like the rendering signature of this lens more. The 28/1.4 was always the more interesting option due to the limited 28mm options.

Illustrative bokeh photo

Edited on Jan 08, 2024 at 10:31 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:16 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I was simply too tempted--I got my copy of the 35/1.4 this afternoon from B + H. A gray day that quickly descended into evening, so very little and subpar light makes for a tough evaluation window.

Looks OK so far. Please remind me: on Leica M or adapted to Sony? (None of your files appear to have intact EXIF.)

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:37 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

Modded a7r2—so native performance.

I have an a7c where the lens will probably look like crap as we know like mostly every fast decently corrected RF 35mm

Jan 08, 2024 at 09:45 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

I am back home and both, the 35mm 1.4 and 28mm 1.4 were already waiting for me
(I tried to convince them to send them earlier, which would have meant I could already show you nice pictures
from the Souks of Marrakesh and the markets and mosques of Istanbul, but it is as it is).

My first mechanical impression is not as good as that of @nehemiahphoto which is mainly because the lenses
share an issue with most MS-Optics lenses: the diameter of the bayonet is slightly too small,
which means the camera constantly throws you out of liveview on the corresponding M-mount cameras...

I also find these infinity locks incredibly annoying, but there are some differences between the samples of the 28mm and 35mm I received, so I am still in the process of clarifying which one is the way it is supposed to be.

Jan 10, 2024 at 06:44 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

maybe then more useful in the modded a7?

BastianK wrote:
(I tried to convince them to send them earlier, which would have meant I could already show you nice pictures
from the Souks of Marrakesh and the markets and mosques of Istanbul, but it is as it is).

My first mechanical impression is not as good as that of @nehemiahphoto@ which is mainly because the lenses
share an issue with most MS-Optics lenses: the diameter of the bayonet is slightly too small,
which means the camera constantly throws you out of liveview on the corresponding M-mount cameras...

I also
...Show more

Jan 10, 2024 at 07:02 AM
fededuran
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

BastianK wrote:

My first mechanical impression is not as good as that of @nehemiahphoto@ which is mainly because the lenses

I also
...Show more

Not very promising start but still the lenses are finally in good hands for a proper review. Looking forward.

Jan 10, 2024 at 09:58 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

@BastianK I am not using on an digital RF, but I am not having the bayonet issue on my Zeiss Ikon. Are both lenses having the bayonet issue? I had a 28/2 Apoquali that did the frame line rattle.

And, I also find the infinite lock annoying. I have quickly gotten used pressing the infinite lock with my finger and focusing like that so not as annoying as you I think. But, I actually think it’s unnecessary and gimmicky—I haven’t ever had any issues with RF lenses not holding their place. I also think the DOF indicator crowds and forced the MF ring back which I dislike.

What I will formally check is centering—I think my copy might have a weak side. Going to tripod check it. Will you check yours?

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:21 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

nehemiahphoto wrote:
@BastianK@ I am not using on an digital RF, but I am not having the bayonet issue on my Zeiss Ikon. Are both lenses having the bayonet issue? I had a 28/2 Apoquali that did the frame line rattle.

It is an issue when using liveview, so on the Ikon it should not be a problem :-)
Will also check centering, yes.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:35 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

BastianK wrote:
It is an issue when using liveview, so on the Ikon it should not be a problem :-)
Will also check centering, yes.

With the MS Optics, it physically rattled in the mount and would not lock. I am still waiting for decent light and more shooting opportunities—I have an annual ice fishing trip this weekend that gets my lenses a ton of run, and I had an 35 FLE and CV 28/2 and such years past.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.