New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

At the risk of sounding like an idiot here goes....shooting clamshell and mounted my Profoto B1 with XL umbrella to boom arm, well I couldn't stop the umbrella from rotating on the shaft of the boom.. the weight of the modifier and the light is just too much for that little crappy thumb screw on the light. If the boom arm had a hexagonal end(the arm has a round end) on it I think that would help but it doesn't. Am I doing something wrong tia

Sep 13, 2023 at 08:57 AM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

The retaining screw is not designed to resist rotational forces (torque), and you should avoid circumventing this weakness by such means as bevelled baby pins. The appropriate support element is called a drop-down pin. You can also reposition the stand so the boom aims directly at the subject.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:05 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

ty so much

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:21 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

When using C-Stands, the weight and arm should be positioned so as to tighten the adjustments when gravity pulls them. Make certain that the arm is coming off the correct side of the stand so that it's weight tends to tighten the grip.

Charley

Sep 13, 2023 at 02:22 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

I have drop down pin but to me doesn't work as good as people say. Magic finger or knucle head gave more more control.

Also that C-stand thing, I have tried different directions of the grip arm, haven't made much difference. Maybe I don't know.

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:51 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

bobby350z wrote:
I have drop down pin but to me doesn't work as good as people say. Magic finger or knucle head gave more more control.

Also that C-stand thing, I have tried different directions of the grip arm, haven't made much difference. Maybe I don't know.

Seth Miranda did a really nice video on C-stands that goes into the parts of a C-stand and how they are used safely. Definitely work a view.

Sep 20, 2023 at 07:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sceptic
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

The best way I've found to provide enough friction to keep the light/modifier from rotating perpendicularly to the boom arm (i.e. drooping if the boom arm is pointing horizontally from the stand itself) is to mount a knuckle to the boom (using the clamping part of the knuckle, i.e. not the nut used to mount a knuckle to a stand) and then a baby pin in the knuckle.
The light/modifier is then mounted to the babypin. Changing the angle of the light is done by rotating the knuckle on the boom or rotating the entire boom by loosening the knuckle holding the boom to the stand (the knuckle on top of the stand).

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:58 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

My first thought is to use a file and make the surface of the boom flat where the screw on the light mounts.

Sep 22, 2023 at 08:10 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

I'm getting older (now 81) and my muscles have been getting older too. Lately I sometimes have problems tightening the wing bolts of the knuckles on my C-stands sufficiently, so I made a special but simple wrench from a piece of 12 mm Baltic Birch plywood. It's just a big handle, but with a hole shaped like a wing bolt head in the end of it (a big box wrench). Now if I have a problem I just get out this wrench and fit the hole in it over this wing bolt and add an 1/8-1/4 turn to the wing bolt.

Yes, I know to position the weight of the arm so it's pulling down in the direction that further tightens the knuckle wing bolt. I've been using C-stands for many years and a photographer since about 1952. Last year is the first that I began occasionally needing this wrench.

Charley

Feb 03, 2024 at 10:46 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

There's really three ways to address this issue:

1) Stop shooting clamshell
2) Drop pin as others have suggested, to run it, and the strobe, *under* the knuckle, at a 90 degree angle relative to the pin; then you use C stand arm to rotate the light as needed
3) You can switch to a softbox/octa, and run the C stand arm "backward", and let the box/octa rest on the arm.

Feb 03, 2024 at 12:16 PM
artmuse

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · help with boom arm and umbrella rotating on arm

I know this is a late reply, but thanks so much for the Seth Miranda video. I just a picked up my first C-stand and gobo arm. His guide to setup was easy to remember and made my kit much safer.

Apr 16, 2024 at 04:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.