FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9              11       12       end

The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

tntcorp1 wrote:
oh, that's too bad.. doa b/c he can't get replacement parts?

main ribbon cable kaput. no longer available.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:59 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
main ribbon cable kaput. no longer available.

perhaps you can buy a nonworking body online and cannibalize it for parts.. good luck.

Feb 23, 2024 at 01:53 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

tntcorp1 wrote:
perhaps you can buy a nonworking body online and cannibalize it for parts.. good luck.

It will be just as old and just as ready to fail! Nah, moving on and would not recommend any pricey P&S cameras at this point. They are ALL old.

Feb 23, 2024 at 02:51 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:00 AM
brooksdigi

p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

FWIW I absolutely swear by my Canon Z135. I like the images better than any of the high end P&S cameras I've used (especially with flash) and I love that I don't have to baby it. If I break it, I can get a new one for like $50!

Feb 25, 2024 at 02:08 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

brooksdigi wrote:
FWIW I absolutely swear by my Canon Z135. I like the images better than any of the high end P&S cameras I've used (especially with flash) and I love that I don't have to baby it. If I break it, I can get a new one for like $50!

Exactly! I briefly had a Contax TVS III and hated it because about 1/3 of the pics were always slightly out of focus. They are at least $600.

Feb 25, 2024 at 05:13 PM
geekcop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

I added the Pentax Espio 120SW to my stable today. I found it at a Harrisburg camera store and got it for $85. That a little high for point-and-shoots that like to break your heart, but the camera looks and works like new. I'll post photos taken with the camera once I get thru a roll. The glass is perfect without any marks of any kind. The lens is SLOW though so I'll see how I get along with motion blur, etc..

Nice features include a light-up display when it gets dim outside, self timer and spot focus.

Specs:
28-120mm F5.6-12.8 lens, 6 elements in 5 groups, autofocus with focus lock, min. focus 0,5m
Electronic shutter, 2-1/360s, 1/2s-1min bulb mode
Size 111x59.9x41, Weight 190 gr. without battery
25-3200 ISO, automatic DX coding, self-timer, automatic film advance, infinity and spot AF mode, self timer

New to me Pentax Espio 120SW

Feb 26, 2024 at 06:45 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

geekcop wrote:
I added the Pentax Espio 120SW to my stable today. I found it at a Harrisburg camera store and got it for $85. That a little high for point-and-shoots that like to break your heart, but the camera looks and works like new. I'll post photos taken with the camera once I get thru a roll. The glass is perfect without any marks of any kind. The lens is SLOW though so I'll see how I get along with motion blur, etc..

Nice features include a light-up display when it gets dim outside, self timer and spot focus.

Specs:
28-120mm F5.6-12.8 lens, 6
...Show more

Nice! My Pentax Espio 24EW looks very similar. Its lens is a 24-105 f4.9-12.5. This is one reason why ISO 400 and faster films are recommended in these cameras. And also why the long end is rarely used.

Also, I think yours like mine defaults to ISO 25 if there is no DX code! Every other camera I have seen w DX defaults to 100 if there is no code!

One thing I noticed w mine is always have the neck strap secure as the camera with it's smooth aluminium shell is quite slippery to hold!

Feb 26, 2024 at 09:25 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

f/12.5 and ISO 25? Ouch.

Feb 27, 2024 at 08:37 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

coralnut wrote:
f/12.5 and ISO 25? Ouch.

So that would be 1/60 sec in bright sunlight.
But... you still will need to make sure you are holding the camera very steadily as min hand held shutter speed to avoid shake = 1/focal length.

Work around is to not zoom out! None of these zoom lenses are very good on the far end anyway.

I pretty much use all my zoom P&S cameras on the default wide setting and treat them as fixed focal length cameras - whether it is my Rollei QZ35 W (which actually has an awesome lens), Samsung AF Slim Zoom, Pentax Espio 24EW.

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

genji
• • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Iím going to use my Samsung AF Slim Zoom (when it arrives) exclusively in Snap mode.

Feb 27, 2024 at 05:57 PM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

The AF Slim Zoom must have arrived at the post office at the same time as my previous post. Looks brand new. Loaded with TMAX 3200 but, thanks to my DX coding hack, actually rated at the true ISO of 800. Have to wait for my cat to appear since the first picture I take with any new camera or lens must be of her. (Iíve already abandoned my Snap mode only plan.)

Feb 27, 2024 at 07:56 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

genji wrote:
The AF Slim Zoom must have arrived at the post office at the same time as my previous post. Looks brand new. Loaded with TMAX 3200 but, thanks to my DX coding hack, actually rated at the true ISO of 800. Have to wait for my cat to appear since the first picture I take with any new camera or lens must be of her. (Iíve already abandoned my Snap mode only plan.)

A man of culture, I see!

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:00 PM
roofdweller49
• •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

brooksdigi wrote:

Does this one AF with half press, or only the later Canons do so? I gave someone a sure shot classic 120. Splendid little camera.

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:38 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

There was a Samsung AF Slim Dual Panorama on ebay that just sold for $25. Looked to be in great shape - hoping someone here picked it up! I was in a work meeting when the bidding ended....

Feb 29, 2024 at 01:35 PM
geekcop
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
There was a Samsung AF Slim Dual Panorama on ebay that just sold for $25. Looked to be in great shape - hoping someone here picked it up! I was in a work meeting when the bidding ended....

I can't find anything online about whether the Dual Panorama one is any good. Do you have any insight? My AF Slim arrives tomorrow but I'm getting into collecting these little gems.

Feb 29, 2024 at 03:54 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

geekcop wrote:
I can't find anything online about whether the Dual Panorama one is any good. Do you have any insight? My AF Slim arrives tomorrow but I'm getting into collecting these little gems.

I have no idea, but I was willing to find out for $25! But work pulled me away.
Looking at it though, it looks cheapened out like the AF Slim R e.g no longer has a lens barrier but uses a clear filter.

Feb 29, 2024 at 05:58 PM
geekcop
• • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Well my Samsung AF Slim arrived today. It's been a bit of an adventure.

When I first put a fresh battery in it the display lit up but the camera wouldn't operate. While I pondered what might be the cause I saw that the top plate was separated from the camera by about a millimeter or two. When I pushed the top down it would click in but then pop back up as soon as I let go. But, when I did this the camera turned on and the lens extended. So, I figure something must be going on that is cause by that issue. I then loosened the inside top back plate using a screwdriver and tried to reseat the top plate. It worked enough to keep the camera working for now. I also replaced the cell battery in the back even though I'm not going to use the date imprint function, more just to try and get the whole camera working. So far, so good. I don't shoot as much as Huss but I loaded a free included roll of 11 year expired B&W film and I'll see how it goes.

I like the size of the camera, the lens is clean both front and rear. Once the camera starts up it is quiet to operate. Should be fun. I only paid $20 for the camera on eBay.

Pictures are of the camera after I did the repairs. The body is pretty clean too!

Mar 01, 2024 at 05:44 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Looking good. Hopefully the images make it $20 well spent. I know it far exceeds my expectations.

Mar 01, 2024 at 06:02 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

geekcop wrote:
Well my Samsung AF Slim arrived today. It's been a bit of an adventure.

When I first put a fresh battery in it the display lit up but the camera wouldn't operate. While I pondered what might be the cause I saw that the top plate was separated from the camera by about a millimeter or two. When I pushed the top down it would click in but then pop back up as soon as I let go. But, when I did this the camera turned on and the lens extended. So, I figure something must be going on that is
...Show more

it's a bummer the camera did not show up in proper condition, but hopefully you have it sorted.

Mar 01, 2024 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.