6              9       10       end

The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Not somewhere you'd bring your Contax T2;

https://youtu.be/KBhPWcX66WA?si=AMGCPYCGG_KO4gu0

Great place for a low-end film P&S like a Japanese Foreman Camera.

Mind you, Robin did bring a saran-wrapped Q3!

Oct 15, 2023 at 10:13 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

helimat wrote:
Not somewhere you'd bring your Contax T2;

https://youtu.be/KBhPWcX66WA?si=AMGCPYCGG_KO4gu0

Great place for a low-end film P&S like a Japanese Foreman Camera.

Mind you, Robin did bring a saran-wrapped Q3!

Great video! And love the pics! It almost makes me want to get that Konica - orange of course - but I already have two Fuji Work Projects!
I also used to have two Nikon LW35AFs. Super lens and great camera. But one broke just sitting there so I sold the other while it was still working. Apparently the inside bits aren't made to shoot lots of film. Just a few rolls a year, which was my downfall cuz I like to burn through film.
Where was I? Oh yeah, that Konica is great. And the pic you just posted that you took with it? Super sharp, great exposure - what more could you want? What would paying $700-$1500 more get you in results? Nothing but heartbreak when that fancy P&S bites it.

Oct 15, 2023 at 04:59 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

So what are the safest / best P&S film cameras to get then, especially smaller ones?

Oct 15, 2023 at 06:27 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
Great video! And love the pics! It almost makes me want to get that Konica - orange of course - but I already have two Fuji Work Projects!
I also used to have two Nikon LW35AFs. Super lens and great camera. But one broke just sitting there so I sold the other while it was still working. Apparently the inside bits aren't made to shoot lots of film. Just a few rolls a year, which was my downfall cuz I like to burn through film.
Where was I? Oh yeah, that Konica is great. And the pic you just posted that you
...Show more

Thanks! I love that they perform well and I don't have to worry about them at the same time. They're cheap and rugged! I will mention that the DD (which the photo was taken with) is a better performer than the 28WB, in fact the DD is actually blew me away at both 40mm and 60mm. I'd like to try the Fuji Work Record and compare the corners to my 28WB.

Anyways, I think the more rugged worksite cameras like the your Work Record and my Genba Kantokus are the ticket - Made to higher standards than the consumer waterproof cameras perhaps?

Oct 15, 2023 at 06:47 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

lifeandmylens wrote:
So what are the safest / best P&S film cameras to get then, especially smaller ones?

The cheaper the better, because when they fail it hurts less!

But if money was absolutely no object, I'd go with the Fuji Klasse again. I had the S, (38/2.8) and Huss had the W. (28/2.8)

Oct 15, 2023 at 06:49 PM
ottokbre
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

I just picked up a minty version of the camera I used at 16 years old, the Canon Sure Shot Esprit. It has the 32mm 3.5 triplet that was used on a lot of Canon P&S. Only manual control is flash on/off.

Oct 16, 2023 at 09:58 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

ottokbre wrote:
I just picked up a minty version of the camera I used at 16 years old, the Canon Sure Shot Esprit. It has the 32mm 3.5 triplet that was used on a lot of Canon P&S. Only manual control is flash on/off.

Is yours intact? Many seem to have bits missing off the body. Cool little camera.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:55 PM
ottokbre
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
Is yours intact? Many seem to have bits missing off the body. Cool little camera.

Yeah, a lot of brittle plastic on these. Mine is pretty minty though.

Oct 18, 2023 at 09:54 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

I think somebody brought me cameras after digital made them relatively cheap years ago, have a really nice looking Penta IQZoom that I need to see if it still works. You might look at this vs the Contax etc looks nice.

as far as old rangefinder p&s's (this being the Leica board) Cabinet might be interesting. And the Canon MC looks like a nice one I used. Along the lines of this thread, one site claims mist don't work anymore.

Someone is probably going to think I'm pushing Canon I didn't really use Canon much on film, though. Kinda got stuck being the Canon fanboy, since nobody else ran off the guys trashing Canon on the Canon board

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:11 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

A P&S must have a built in flash, which is why the Rollei QZ IMO really isn't one.

This is what P&S cameras are born to do!

Fuji Work Record, HP5.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Fuji Work Record and Superia 400

The people who make Venice Beach, Venice Beach.

Edited on Oct 24, 2023 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:40 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Here's an interesting review of the upscale Pentax IQZoom150SL. Solid metal p&s, looks similar to the T2, if you don't like the performance at 105mm, well, it beats the T2 at 105mm

https://hotocameras.com/2020/02/21/Pentax-iqZoom-150sl.html

Oct 24, 2023 at 04:08 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

AmbientMike wrote:
Here's an interesting review of the upscale Pentax IQZoom150SL. Solid metal p&s, looks similar to the T2, if you don't like the performance at 105mm, well, it beats the T2 at 105mm

https://hotocameras.com/2020/02/21/Pentax-iqZoom-150sl.html

I dunno dood, max aperture of 5.6 at 38mm and 12 at 105? With no exposure control?

The Pentax I was looking at is the Espio 24EW. 24-105 4.9 -12.5. So even though it has a wider zoom range, it is faster on the wide end. But the piece de resistance is it has a dedicated exp comp button on the top plate!
I have no idea if it takes decent pics though, as the few reviews I saw were not very useful.

Oct 24, 2023 at 09:07 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
I dunno dood, max aperture of 5.6 at 38mm and 12 at 105? With no exposure control?

The Pentax I was looking at is the Espio 24EW. 24-105 4.9 -12.5. So even though it has a wider zoom range, it is faster on the wide end. But the piece de resistance is it has a dedicated exp comp button on the top plate!
I have no idea if it takes decent pics though, as the few reviews I saw were not very useful.

Dude, you're on the beach, you don't need 2.8!!! f/12 & no exposure compensation kinda reasons I didn't use p&s's much 4.9 is pretty similar to 5.6. Not familiar with the Espio, 24mm + e.c. sound good, but the IQZoom is really nice

This Pentax has lots of metal, very solid, and one of the things I like about the review I posted a link to is that it mentioned it's upscale. might get you closer to a T2 than you'd expect.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Pentax IQZoom 70XL is nice, too, if you are looking for a good p&s. We bought one for a relative years ago, looked at it last night.

Oct 31, 2023 at 09:36 AM
roofdweller49
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

These f5.6-f12 max aperture zooms is why Kodak and Fuji pushed iso 400-800 films so much

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:15 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Rollei QZ35W, Ilford HP5

Nov 02, 2023 at 09:41 AM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

I'm guessing the Minolta TC-1 for $700 falls under the not advisable to buy category as well?

Dec 28, 2023 at 02:03 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

lifeandmylens wrote:
I'm guessing the Minolta TC-1 for $700 falls under the not advisable to buy category as well?

Yup. Big time. Sadly.

All of them do - Minolta TC-1, Nikon 28/35Ti, the Contaxes, the Leicas, the Fuji Klasses etc.

I get it though - they are really nicely made, fun to use and can give super results. But... until they break and they all will either very soon, or soon, or a little later.

My Klasse W gave absolutely stunning results. Until it didn't.

MY Rollei QZ35W is still giving stunning results - but the more I use it the more I realize it is not a P&S camera. It is way too big for that, and does not have a built in flash. IMO a P&S has to have a built in flash.

Dec 28, 2023 at 03:22 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

Desmolicious wrote:
Yup. Big time. Sadly.

All of them do - Minolta TC-1, Nikon 28/35Ti, the Contaxes, the Leicas, the Fuji Klasses etc.

I get it though - they are really nicely made, fun to use and can give super results. But... until they break and they all will either very soon, or soon, or a little later.

My Klasse W gave absolutely stunning results. Until it didn't.

MY Rollei QZ35W is still giving stunning results - but the more I use it the more I realize it is not a P&S camera. It is way too big for that, and does not have a built
...Show more

Thanks Huss. I'll stay away. Interesting that brands aren't willing to make new premium P&S film cameras.

Dec 28, 2023 at 03:24 PM
1       2       3       4      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.