Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
  

The pitfalls of the high end film P&S

  
 
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


j.liam wrote:
Wonder if it might be possible to cannibalize the lens and re-mount it as an M. Skylanney is offering this with the Omnar mount conversion system and they have a link to inquire: https://skyllaney.com/2022/04/01/conversions-powered-by-omnar/
Have seen their handiwork and its superb.

Beats its new role as a forlorn paperweight...


Omnar conversion prices start at 1,249 GBP



Sep 10, 2023 at 04:14 PM
SlowDriver
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


My Fujifilm Klasse W still works. I would also be very sad to see it go but it is probably bound to happen one day...


Sep 10, 2023 at 05:18 PM
j.liam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


Desmolicious wrote:
Omnar conversion prices start at 1,249 GBP


Well, KEH has two Klasse in EX shape for a grand.



Sep 10, 2023 at 08:01 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


j.liam wrote:
Well, KEH has two Klasse in EX shape for a grand.


Hard pass on those even if they did not face impending doom. Because they are the crappy gen 1 models which donít have the improvements of the W and S.



Sep 10, 2023 at 08:34 PM
ottokbre
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


I'm tempted to buy the Funleader Contax-G conversion helicoid just to plop lens groups into.


Sep 10, 2023 at 08:37 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


Just got my roll of ProImage 100 developed that I shot in the Rollei QZ. Nearly all at the 28mm setting, so can compare the results to the dead to me Fuji.
At 28mm it is a 2.8 lens just like the Fuji.



Sep 14, 2023 at 04:40 PM
formula4speed
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


It would feel remiss not to mention that these film point and shoot cameras have another downfall that is rarely spoken about.

After extensive research I discovered there are no adapters to put the film into a standard SD card reader on your computer. So when you come home and try to plug your film into your computer to see your photos, you are completely out of luck.

This is obviously some sort of conspiracy. Please discuss at length.



Sep 15, 2023 at 07:20 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


formula4speed wrote:
It would feel remiss not to mention that these film point and shoot cameras have another downfall that is rarely spoken about.

After extensive research I discovered there are no adapters to put the film into a standard SD card reader on your computer. So when you come home and try to plug your film into your computer to see your photos, you are completely out of luck.

This is obviously some sort of conspiracy. Please discuss at length.


What is this 'standard SD card reader' that you speak of? The only card reader I know is Gramma who would insist on reading every Christmas card to us before we got to open our presents.



Sep 15, 2023 at 11:26 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


Rollei QZ35W, ProImage 100.

Gotta use this brick now that my Fuji Klasse W went belly up.












Sep 16, 2023 at 01:05 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


I do miss the Fuji. Huge advantage is it is very small, and super easy to use w great results. I don't think I ever used it in anything but the P setting (first setting when you turn it on), and the exp comp dial is very noticeable and easy to use. Plus built in flash.
The Rollei on the other hand technically does have far more glorious specs. But is double the size, no built in flash, and it is super easy to accidentally change settings w/o realizing it. Most important one being changing the focus from AF to manual, and also changing shutter speeds from A to manual.
It's a much more serious camera, and I think the point of a P&S is to be a camera that can give serious results, but in a very simple/easy/fool proof and compact way if that makes sense. Otherwise it makes more sense to carry something like a Nikon N80, as the Rollei is not pocketable.



Sep 18, 2023 at 10:23 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

ocean2059
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


Desmolicious wrote:
I do miss the Fuji. Huge advantage is it is very small, and super easy to use w great results. I don't think I ever used it in anything but the P setting (first setting when you turn it on), and the exp comp dial is very noticeable and easy to use. Plus built in flash.
The Rollei on the other hand technically does have far more glorious specs. But is double the size, no built in flash, and it is super easy to accidentally change settings w/o realizing it. Most important one being changing the focus from AF to manual,
...Show more

Huss, do you put a uv filter on your QZ 35W?



Sep 18, 2023 at 06:23 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


ocean2059 wrote:
Huss, do you put a uv filter on your QZ 35W?


No. It is a 35.5 filter thread and I used to use a 35.5-37mm adapter so I could, and also to use a lens hood. But gave up on both. W/ or w/o the lens hood, I got really crappy lens flare using the filter.



Sep 18, 2023 at 06:30 PM
ocean2059
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


Desmolicious wrote:
No. It is a 35.5 filter thread and I used to use a 35.5-37mm adapter so I could, and also to use a lens hood. But gave up on both. W/ or w/o the lens hood, I got really crappy lens flare using the filter.


Thank you, Huss! I just finished a roll on my QZ 35T and look forward to getting my film back.



Sep 18, 2023 at 06:39 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


ocean2059 wrote:
Thank you, Huss! I just finished a roll on my QZ 35T and look forward to getting my film back.



You went for it!



Sep 18, 2023 at 06:49 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


FYI I left the fancy but very easy to fall off ti lens cap at home, and replaced it w a cheapo 37mm pinch lens cap on the 35.5-37mm filter adapter. Basically using that filter adapter as a mini lens hood!


Sep 18, 2023 at 06:53 PM
ocean2059
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


Desmolicious wrote:
You went for it!

Actually, I had the QZ 35T around 2002. I used the QZ 35T along with a film Ricoh GR1 as a travel set P&S for family trip photos when my daughter was young. My other P&S cameras have all failed, including Ricoh GR1 and Leica Minilux, but the Rollie is still working (knock on wood). So it's time to use it as I slowly get back to shot films again. I really like the Rollei's zoom lens - IQs are very special. I lost my cap long ago and have been using it without a filter. Thanks for the tip!



Sep 18, 2023 at 07:20 PM
panos.v
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


Desmolicious wrote:
Omnar conversion prices start at 1,249 GBP


I just don't get...they have a Zeiss 35/2 rehoused for £1500. Because a new one for £1000 is not expesive enough? Or was that a Contax G lens rehoused? Because a new ZM, which is the same lens effectively rehoused by Ζeiss in the factory, for £1000 not expensive enough?

The whole artisan, craftmanship, custom thing is just getting a bit out of hand.



Sep 19, 2023 at 07:22 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


panos.v wrote:
I just don't get...they have a Zeiss 35/2 rehoused for £1500. Because a new one for £1000 is not expesive enough? Or was that a Contax G lens rehoused? Because a new ZM, which is the same lens effectively rehoused by Ζeiss in the factory, for £1000 not expensive enough?

The whole artisan, craftmanship, custom thing is just getting a bit out of hand.


You donít think itís a good idea to rehouse the 28mm 2.8 lens from my Klasse for $1500 when I can buy the new CV 28mm 2.8 for $700?



Sep 19, 2023 at 08:54 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


panos.v wrote:
The whole artisan, craftmanship, custom thing is just getting a bit out of hand.


Bit off topic in this thread but wanted to add - anyone seen how much they charge now for artisan shutter buttons and hot shoe covers? This has gotten out of hand IMO, too.



Sep 19, 2023 at 09:13 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · The pitfalls of the high end film P&S


retrofocus wrote:
Bit off topic in this thread but wanted to add - anyone seen how much they charge now for artisan shutter buttons and hot shoe covers? This has gotten out of hand IMO, too.


The Leica OEM metal hot shoe cover for the M10 is $30. And it fits perfectly, looks perfect on the camera.
The Match Technical one - which "fits most" - is $35.

This one is $128

Hot shoe cover

But this waaaay cooler one is only $8


Taxi!



Sep 19, 2023 at 12:55 PM
1       2      
3
       4       5       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.