Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

I have the Godox (Flashpoint) R2 X Pro that I'm using on my Canon R6 to fire a speedlite (the 860-II li-ion flash) off-camera for environmental portraits.

I've used this combo for years with mostly positive results. Range indoors seems to be excellent whereas range outdoors tends to be... bad? No better word for it. I'm getting really inconsistent firing past about 20 feet or so.

Normally this would be an open and shut case of "not enough range", but there is more to it. If I press the "test fire" button on the trigger, the flash will fire consistently up to a much longer distance, but when I press the shutter on the camera to shoot an image, no flash fire.

Yesterday I was outdoors maybe 40 feet away from my flash trying to shoot a backlit portrait and my flash-fire rate was maybe 10 percent when pushing the shutter on the camera and nearly 100% when pushing the test fire button on the trigger. Sometimes turning the trigger on/off - or reseating the trigger on the hot shoe helps a little bit. Not yesterday though.

Why is this?

The triggers are old so there is a possibility they're starting to die, but I still don't understand. On-camera flashes fire fine and the triggers' range indoors is typically excellent with no firing issues.

Aug 07, 2023 at 09:57 AM
jlafferty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

Inconsistently firing is commonly a poor connection at the hot shoe, or RF interference.

You need to clean the leads on the trigger using 91% alcohol and a cotton swab; alternatively you can - in a pinch - use a pencil eraser (without the alcohol) to gently clean them. Clean your camera hot shoe likewise.Theb power cycle the trigger and make sure it is seated firmly.

For RF interference you need to see if your model/version remote has a channel ID scan function. The XTII and the XPRO-II both do this, and Iíve found it to be a life saver when my strobes start misfiring.

Lastly, make sure youíve got fully fresh batteries in the trigger.

deepbluejh wrote:
I have the Godox (Flashpoint) R2 X Pro that I'm using on my Canon R6 to fire a speedlite (the 860-II li-ion flash) off-camera for environmental portraits.

I've used this combo for years with mostly positive results. Range indoors seems to be excellent whereas range outdoors tends to be... bad? No better word for it. I'm getting really inconsistent firing past about 20 feet or so.

Normally this would be an open and shut case of "not enough range", but there is more to it. If I press the "test fire" button on the trigger, the flash will fire consistently up to
...Show more

Aug 07, 2023 at 08:10 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

Which custom function for distance are you using? Make sure you're on the highest one. If the test button triggers 100% of the time, there is likely no problem with the radio sync or contacts. Sounds like a mode or compatibility issue with the camera. Do you have the latest firmware on both the triggers and flashes? HSS? I recall seeing some complaints about Godox and Canon HSS. It might also be a power recycling issue if only happening outdoors or with HSS. If the flash isn't fully recycled when you press the shutter it won't pop.

Aug 07, 2023 at 08:37 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

One additional consideration - the signal to test flash is a simple message, while TTL and HSS signal messages are much more complex. If the receiver doesn't understand or receive the complete TTL or HSS message, the flash won't fire.

Aug 08, 2023 at 07:14 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

Thanks guys. The contacts all look clean and TTL/HSS was not being used. The distance custom function is set to longest distance (100m).

Aug 08, 2023 at 07:50 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

You might need to do some experimentation to isolate the issue. Try setting flash mode to manual at the camera and trigger independently and together. If you get more consistent triggering in manual mode, that could prove a TTL signal or compatibility issue. Try setting camera to second curtain sync. If that works properly while default first curtain sync does not, you could have a hardware issue with the shutter mechanism.

Aug 08, 2023 at 10:51 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

I recently experienced the same thing on a location shoot. I ended up buying the Raven flash trigger and have not had one misfire since. After using the Raven I would never go back to the Godox triggers

Aug 08, 2023 at 01:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

I donít about Canon but on Nikon when the shutter speed reaches a high enough shutter speed, like 1/200 or 1/250 (depending on the body), Godox flashes automatically jump into HSS. When that happens the power drops dramatically so that it can recycle faster.

Aug 17, 2023 at 10:09 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

Have you replaced the flash and transmitter batteries lately? I use only Godox and Flashpoint, and have pro transmitters for several kinds of cameras. The only time that I have had similar problems is when the batteries are getting low. Regular AA cells tend to fall off in voltage as they weaken. Rechargables have
1/4 volt less output when fully charged, but hold their voltage to near end of capacity, so less problems from sagging voltage levels. I'm not saying that this is your problem, but it could be.

Charley

Aug 20, 2023 at 11:44 AM
sikotic

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

Has anyone been able to figure this out? I'm experiencing almost identical problems but with a Leica Q and the xPro II and Flashpoint light.

I have the most random mis-fires and can't figure it out. All the batteries are fresh. Just like OP said, whenever I press the button on the trigger, it flashes, but with the camera shutter button it's choppy at best. Sometimes I have to turn my camera off, back on, cycle through settings, just to get 1 more shot to work.

I did an indoor test today where I raised the light up maybe 7 feet on a light stand
Took about 10 steps back, and it wouldn't work when firing towards the light. If I aimed the camera up, down, left, right etc... it would flash perfect over and over, but when aiming straight towards the light, 0 fires (works fine on the trigger though)

Hoping someone has insight?

Mar 18, 2024 at 09:56 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

How current is the firmware on your trigger? I recently had an issue where all my lights worked great on the new XProII (Nikon), except *one*, and a firmware update on the trigger fixed it. It would only fire properly once when on camera, but would fire perfectly every time when hitting the test button. Iím now on firmware 1.5 and itís flawless :/

Mar 19, 2024 at 06:06 AM
sikotic

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

thanks for the response. I just checked and it looks like my trigger is on 1.1? I guess it might be worth trying to figure out how to update *edit* After looking at the site I can't even find which update is compatible with mine either.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:09 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Godox trigger - inconsistent firing.Range or damaged trigger?

https://godox.com/static/upload/other/20230721/1689925017562658.zip

That's the XPro-IIL firmware download link direct from Godox.

Here's the software page, you will need to do some more research to figure out which G launcher is appropriate for your situation:

https://godox.com/firmware-launcher-installers/

Can't personally vet this, but check YouTube for stuff like this:

Mar 20, 2024 at 01:32 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.