FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Back to the positives - the focus feel is remarkably smooth and beautifully weighted. If you were blindfolded and did not know who made the lens, you could easily think this was way more expensive.
Same for the aperture ring feel. And the font used is so much nicer than those new Thypoch lenses.

Guess I am either using this lens at 2.8, or composing looser so I can crop out the hard, black edges.

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:29 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

So... thank goodness for EVFs! It allowed me to dial in the lens quite easily so I can use the RF for focus. Next thing I will try it on my film Ms to see how it works.
But, there always is a big butt.. it seems there is a bit of focus shift between 2.8 and 5.6. I really need to pull out a tripod and do this right, maybe it's my eyes getting tired..

I took another shot of Daisy because she is beautiful - at 2.8 using the rangefinder. And then took it outside to take the rest of the pics. Most at 2.8, one at 5.6 for a DOF/bookay comparison of sorts. With my M10r and only using the RF. No evf for me thank you very much. The pics are in full, uncropped so you can see the vignette. I did not bother stopping down past 5.6 because this is not a landscape/general purpose lens, and I know it hard vignettes.

2.8:

2.8:

2.8 100% crop showing some nice glow:

2.8:

5.6:

2.8:

2.8 100% crop:

2.8:

2.8 100% crop:

Nov 16, 2023 at 05:45 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

FYI the RF calibration on the lens was so far off when I corrected it, it was like TTA was all 'you deal with that yourself'.. It wasn't remotely close! It wasn't even ballpark! It was more going-to-drive-to-the-game-but-had-a-late start off..

Nov 16, 2023 at 07:59 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

TTartisan's customer service ghosted me on my follow up re. the vignetting.

Nov 17, 2023 at 02:23 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

ok, loaded a 30 yr old roll of TriX and will see how the Trioplan handles that nonsense

Nov 17, 2023 at 02:31 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Developed the film. It basically was a mess and needed much more exposure than I gave it. I rated it at 400, but it looks like it should have been 100. Even so, there was a lot of fogging and lots of grain.
On the upside - it focuses perfectly and very easily on the M7. So tuning it on a digi M - I used my M10r - transfers over to the film Ms. I think one reason it is so easy to focus is the focus throw is just right, and the weighting is perfect.

M7, TTA Trioplan 100, 30 yr old TriX

Nov 18, 2023 at 08:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Desmolicious wrote:
Developed the film. It basically was a mess and needed much more exposure than I gave it. I rated it at 400, but it looks like it should have been 100. Even so, there was a lot of fogging and lots of grain.
On the upside - it focuses perfectly and very easily on the M7. So tuning it on a digi M - I used my M10r - transfers over to the film Ms. I think one reason it is so easy to focus is the focus throw is just right, and the weighting is perfect.

M7, TTA Trioplan 100, 30
...Show more

Super grain! But it's still cool in B&W.

Nov 18, 2023 at 09:13 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

I cropped out the vignetting. This lens is totally useable on film for infinity shots as well as up close. It really is built very well, and handles very nicely. And one thing I like about a $200 lens? I don't worry about protective filters..

Nov 18, 2023 at 09:22 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

p.s like all TTA and 7A lenses I’ve used, it focuses past infinity on the hard stop. But is accurate w the RF.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:48 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

I have the M42 version and I adapted it to my Sony A7r/3. It doesn't have the hard vigneting like that in the m mount. While it's not very sharp, it's certainly usable for long distance/infinity.

© ocean2059 2023

Sony A7R/3, f/2.8. ISO 100, 1/4000

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

ocean2059 wrote:
I have the M42 version and I adapted it to my Sony A7r/3. It doesn't have the hard vigneting like that in the m mount. While it's not very sharp, it's certainly usable for long distance/infinity.

Yeah it is only the M mount version that does it. Even when I adapt it to my Z7. Must have something to do with the mount (master of the obvious strikes again!).

Nov 19, 2023 at 07:26 PM
markhout
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

M42 version. Z7. Wide open. I don't like the restless blur...

Click on the image if it doesn't fit your screen.

B&W has nervous bokeh too:

Edited on Nov 22, 2023 at 02:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2023 at 02:10 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

markhout wrote:
I don't like the restless blur...

Isn't that exactly what people buy this lens for?

Nov 22, 2023 at 02:22 PM
markhout
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Well it's sharp enough, but let's say that the blur is an 'acquired taste'...

Nov 22, 2023 at 02:24 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

markhout wrote:
Well it's sharp enough, but let's say that the blur is an 'acquired taste'...

I was about to also say something snarky about the bokeh being the point of the lens, but they seem to have gotten the bubble bokeh similar to the Trioplan but maybe lost some of the smoothness of background generally. The Rokkor 58 has many who dislike its “nervous “ bokeh, but at least for that lens, it really is about the distance to the background and how detailed it is. This one might be similar where you have to pick your background carefully…maybe also similar to the Helios 40-2 85mm that way?

Jim

Helios 40-2 85/1.5

Startled by Jim, on Flickr

Echoes by Jim, on Flickr

Nov 25, 2023 at 03:59 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Grenache wrote:
I was about to also say something snarky about the bokeh being the point of the lens, but they seem to have gotten the bubble bokeh similar to the Trioplan but maybe lost some of the smoothness of background generally. The Rokkor 58 has many who dislike its “nervous “ bokeh, but at least for that lens, it really is about the distance to the background and how detailed it is. This one might be similar where you have to pick your background carefully…maybe also similar to the Helios 40-2 85mm that way?

Jim

Helios 40-2 85/1.5

https://live.staticflickr.com/709/31910076032_0eb153c6c0_o.jpgStartled by Jim, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/602/31910074802_a11d7712cf_o.jpgEchoes by
...Show more

When you say Rokkor 58, do you mean the 58 1.2? I use one of those and it is a smooth, creamy bokeh machine! But I never used it mid distance with leaves etc in the background.

Nov 25, 2023 at 08:00 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Desmolicious wrote:
When you say Rokkor 58, do you mean the 58 1.2? I use one of those and it is a smooth, creamy bokeh machine! But I never used it mid distance with leaves etc in the background.

Yes, I love the Rokkor 58/1.2, but many people complain that it has bad bokeh up to f/2. I prefer to think of it that it provides great rewards to those who understand/respect its style from f/1.2-2. 🙂

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:59 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Used TTA 100 2.8 for $160 in LA. No affiliation to seller. It's been there a while so I'm sure he'd accept less.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pho/d/glendale-ttartisan-100mm-28-soap-bubble/7697270261.html

Jan 09, 2024 at 02:13 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

I think this is cool, and I'm sorry to be a snob (I never would've paid the $895032895032 for the Meyer revival, if that helps me seem less snobby), but I just cannot with the brand name "TTArtisans". Teetee is what Southern parents called urine when I was little, folks. I can't. I realize at these prices these are not intended to be products that last 50 years and get inherited by your kids, but c'mon: every other Chinese lens brand came up with a nice name that doesn't sound like an AliExpress throwaway.

Jan 09, 2024 at 06:58 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 Soap Bubble Bokeh "Trioplan" Replica

Lee Saxon wrote:
I think this is cool, and I'm sorry to be a snob (I never would've paid the $895032895032 for the Meyer revival, if that helps me seem less snobby), but I just cannot with the brand name "TTArtisans". Teetee is what Southern parents called urine when I was little, folks. I can't. I realize at these prices these are not intended to be products that last 50 years and get inherited by your kids, but c'mon: every other Chinese lens brand came up with a nice name that doesn't sound like an AliExpress throwaway.

The mechanics are incredibly nice. Great aperture ring action, really smooth and perfectly weighted focus. Optics apart from the hard vignette are great. Just compose a little wider so you can crop that out.
This lens is a super buy at $200. The $160 used? If I didn't already have one I'd be all over it.

Your allergic reaction to the brand name? I'd recommend an anti-histamine or maybe a cortisone shot.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:47 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.