New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

N80, 50 1.8G, Acros II

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:35 AM
snegron7
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

geekcop wrote:
The issue is my local lab is not good at all. Most film there is sent out and I'm lucky to get it back. What I do get back is spotty or scratched and not great. I do enjoy your shots a lot though. Your shots remind me of shooting with my F6. I think when I get back into shooting film however, it will be with medium format 6x9 or 6x6.

I'm having the same issue finding a decent lab. I recently sent out a roll I shot with my F2A to Dwayne's Photo. It took them an entire month to get it back to me, and the results were worse than if I had gone to a local Walmart lab. The images all had a yellow tint to them as if they used old chemicals.

I'm midway through a roll in my F5, but I haven't been motivated to finish it because I don't have a decent lab I can trust.

Sadly, I also have 5 rolls of 120mm still in my fridge waiting to be used with my Mamiya 645. Again, due to the lack of labs these rolls will probably expire.

Sep 21, 2023 at 06:32 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

snegron7 wrote:
I'm having the same issue finding a decent lab. I recently sent out a roll I shot with my F2A to Dwayne's Photo. It took them an entire month to get it back to me, and the results were worse than if I had gone to a local Walmart lab. The images all had a yellow tint to them as if they used old chemicals.

I'm midway through a roll in my F5, but I haven't been motivated to finish it because I don't have a decent lab I can trust.

Sadly, I also have 5 rolls of 120mm still
...Show more

Two labs I can recommend: northcoastphoto.com and thefindlab.com

I’ve heard numerous complaints about Dwaynes.It seems they are living off the story that they were the last lab that could develop Kodachrome.

For B&W I use Cinestill df96 monobath. Super easy and one bottle develops about 16 rolls. You just reuse it adding 30 secs each time. All you need is a dev tank and a dark bag. I scan all my film w my Z7, convert the color negs using negativelabpro.

If you keep your film refrigerated it will literally be decades before it ‘expires’.

Sep 21, 2023 at 09:59 AM
snegron7
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Desmolicious wrote:
Two labs I can recommend: northcoastphoto.com and thefindlab.com

I’ve heard numerous complaints about Dwaynes.It seems they are living off the story that they were the last lab that could develop Kodachrome.

For B&W I use Cinestill df96 monobath. Super easy and one bottle develops about 16 rolls. You just reuse it adding 30 secs each time. All you need is a dev tank and a dark bag. I scan all my film w my Z7, convert the color negs using negativelabpro.

If you keep your film refrigerated it will literally be decades before it ‘expires’.

Thanks for the info! Do you know if these labs return your negatives to you?

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:17 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

snegron7 wrote:
Thanks for the info! Do you know if these labs return your negatives to you?

Yes they do. My first pick would be northcoast as their turnaround time is quicker. But both have been excellent in the past.
I've stopped using them as I am lucky enough to have a local lab for dev - Pauls Photo - and I scan the film myself.

FYI I do NOT recommend Thedarkroom. Too many times they have bolloxed my film in the past, and never made things right. Also expensive.

I'm not sure where you live but you should also ask on the film images thread on the Leica/Alternative forum for lab recommendations, as there may be some close/closer to you that you are not aware of.

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:59 AM
OffTrail
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Well that sucks about Dwayne's. Hopefully you find a lab near you that has decent turn-around times and can deliver good results! I have had good results with Dwayne's, but it's been about a year since I last used them.

If you don't find a local-ish solution or the cost/wait of mailing gets old, you could always try it yourself. C-41 is a little finnicky, but a $50 sous vide circulator supposedly makes life a lot easier. I believe E-6 is broadly similar as far as needing fairly strict temperature control goes, it just has a few extra steps. And of course B&W can be easier than making a pot of coffee if you keep it simple.

Sep 21, 2023 at 02:37 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

For you Nikon film camera shooters, a heads up. Tempe camera in Arizona has a brand new, NOS, Nikon F3 HP with motor drive. Its all boxed, never sold and came from an Estate of a late camera shop owner. I believe they asking about $1,600 for it. Their phone is 480-466-6454 and ask for sales.
Harry Palmer

Sep 25, 2023 at 07:06 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

F3P, DW3 finder, CV 40 f2, ancient TMAX 400 @ 100

Feb 21, 2024 at 09:04 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

F3P, DW3, CV 40 f2, TMAX 400 @ 100

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:10 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

F3P, ZF.2 35mm f2, Supra 100@50

Feb 22, 2024 at 02:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

F3P, DW3 waist level finder, CV 40 f2, TMAX 400 @ 100

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:17 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Feb 22, 2024 at 04:46 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

F3P, DW3, CV 40 f2, TMAX 400 @ 100 (because it is 25+ years old)

Feb 22, 2024 at 07:43 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

snegron7 wrote:

I hate to be the broken record, but I will never send another roll of film to Dwayne's.

I've been digging through boxes of archived film looking for the final shipment of Kodachrome that I sent to them when they were the only game in town. they ruined every roll. Colors were off as if the chemicals were not being renewed, and every roll of film was identically scratched in processing, despite being shot on different cameras. This gave me the impression that they weren't maintaining the line during the final days of Kodachrome processing. They seemed to be just milking the machine for all it was worth on it's final run. They didn't even cut and mount the slides.

I've said it before: I wouldn't send film to Dwayne's if they were the last lab on earth. I can say this because I sent Kodachrome to them when they were the last lab on earth and every roll was ruined.

Right now I'm preparing for a slide digitization project and the process has been complicated by the fact that I have boxes of Kodachrome that were never mounted, so I had to buy new gear to shoot the unmounted rolls of film. I'm so upset with the scratches on every roll of the Dwayne's Kodachrome that I've been putting off digitizing these images for years. The amount of work involved in trying to "fix" the images is going to be monumental and I've been trying to avoid it.

Dwayne's? Never again.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:06 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Waist level finders make shots like this much easier to take!

Feb 23, 2024 at 01:06 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Desmolicious wrote:

Waist level finders make shots like this much easier to take!

If I ever get a Nikon film camera, I'll get one of the ones that takes a waist-level finder. I used split-prism focusing for many years but for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble nailing focus with it now that I'm older. In contrast, I'm getting a much better hit rate with a waist-level finder with magnifier.

Feb 23, 2024 at 02:19 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

bjhurley wrote:
If I ever get a Nikon film camera, I'll get one of the ones that takes a waist-level finder. I used split-prism focusing for many years but for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble nailing focus with it now that I'm older. In contrast, I'm getting a much better hit rate with a waist-level finder with magnifier.

F, F2, F3, F4, F5.

The thing that is wacky about the WLFs is in many cases now this simple device (basically a shielded hood with a magnifier glass) costs more than the camera it is to be attached to!

I used igorcamera.com to source mine. He was much cheaper than ebay.

Feb 23, 2024 at 02:50 PM
RomanMF
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Just snagged a Nikon F3HP. I'm looking forward to picking up 1 or 2 lenses for it and putting it through its paces. I should have it by month's end.

I love my 35Ti but as capable as it is, it's not enough to be my main 35mm film body.

Feb 23, 2024 at 06:35 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

RomanMF wrote:
Just snagged a Nikon F3HP. I'm looking forward to picking up 1 or 2 lenses for it and putting it through its paces. I should have it by month's end.

I love my 35Ti but as capable as it is, it's not enough to be my main 35mm film body.

Noice! My favourite is the CV 40mm f2.

Feb 23, 2024 at 06:46 PM
madNbad
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Desmolicious wrote:
Noice! My favourite is the CV 40mm f2.

Get a Nikkor 28 2.8 Ai-S to go with it.

Feb 23, 2024 at 07:05 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.