New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

snegron7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

I was going through some of my old stored gear and came across my once beloved Nikon film cameras. I got a bit nostalgic and ordered a few rolls of film. Wow, I had no idea how expensive film has become!! Color slide film is even more expensive!

I'm hoping to shoot a few rolls with my F5 and my F2A.

Problem I'm finding (other than the insanely high price and scarcity of film) is that there aren't too many mail-in film developing labs. All the custom photo developing labs in my area closed their doors years ago, so I have to mail my film somewhere to get developed. I don't want to risk taking my rolls to a CVS pharmacy or Walmart because I remember from my film days how they butchered my negatives.

So far I'm looking at Dwayne's Photo in Kansas. They have done great film work for me in the past, but it would be nice to have other options for color negatives, and maybe (if I get a second mortgage for my house or sell one of my kidneys), color slide film.

Aug 01, 2023 at 08:22 PM
OffTrail
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Have you checked recently that there's nothing local to you? Film is experiencing a resurgence, and with that has come some new labs here and there.

But if not, I would just use Dwayne's. I use them for slide film and they've always been satisfactory. I'm lucky enough to have a lab local to me that's been doing C41 for decades, so that's who I use for color. I do my own B&W, and that's a very low cost venture. Just takes a little space. Home C41 isn't bad either, for that matter.

Aug 01, 2023 at 09:09 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

OffTrail wrote:
Have you checked recently that there's nothing local to you? Film is experiencing a resurgence, and with that has come some new labs here and there.

But if not, I would just use Dwayne's. I use them for slide film and they've always been satisfactory. I'm lucky enough to have a lab local to me that's been doing C41 for decades, so that's who I use for color. I do my own B&W, and that's a very low cost venture. Just takes a little space. Home C41 isn't bad either, for that matter.

Thanks! Unfortunately the last custom photo lab in my area now sends rolls out to be developed.

I'm leaning towards Dwayne's again, but I was hoping to check out other alternatives.

I haven't developed b&w in decades!! I purchased a couple of stainless steel tanks and reels around 20 years ago. I still have them new in their boxes! Back then I was hoping to load my own cartridges with bulk rolls of Tri-X, but it never happened. I would love to shoot b&w again though! I'd love to pick your brain about chemicals, times, etc.

Aug 01, 2023 at 09:17 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

I tried Darkroom recently, wasn’t impressed with the scanning vs my normal lab in Dallas.

There are a lot of boutique labs around today with the resurgence of film, you should be able to find a reasonable and reputable one.

My lab is Photographique, not sure if they accept mail ins but I’d assume they would.

Aug 01, 2023 at 09:24 PM
David Antilley
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Praus Production in Rochester, NY does mail in development, color, slides, and b&w.

Aug 01, 2023 at 10:19 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Icon in Los Angeles. Film services

These guys are really good. Their film processing is spot on and the print quality is superb, from basic prints up to museum quality. May not be the cheapest but they’ll give you personalized service and you’ll get exactly what you want.

Aug 02, 2023 at 12:59 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

I'm working on my first few rolls in almost two decades on a recently acquired F100. There is a semi-local lab in Des Moines, IA that I intend to try out (DSMFilmLab.com) as they develop C41 in-house and have a good scanner and reasonable pricing. I'll try to remember to follow up here with results.

Aug 02, 2023 at 09:33 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Icon in Los Angeles. Film services

These guys are really good. Their film processing is spot on and the print quality is superb, from basic prints up to museum quality. May not be the cheapest but they’ll give you personalized service and you’ll get exactly what you want.

I've long heard that Icon is the premium option in this space, their dunk technique seems to be significantly ahead of the smaller labs. Their prices reflect that, $40 a roll before shipping for 35mm, hoo boy!

Film these days isn't for the faint of wallet.

Aug 02, 2023 at 09:46 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

snegron7 wrote:
I was going through some of my old stored gear and came across my once beloved Nikon film cameras. I got a bit nostalgic and ordered a few rolls of film. Wow, I had no idea how expensive film has become!! Color slide film is even more expensive!

I'm hoping to shoot a few rolls with my F5 and my F2A.

Problem I'm finding (other than the insanely high price and scarcity of film) is that there aren't too many mail-in film developing labs. All the custom photo developing labs in my area closed their doors years ago, so I have
...Show more

Where are you based? Then we could perhaps know or recommend a lab close to you.
I shoot w my film Nikons all the time. As for cost of film? Do NOT buy it from Amazon. Their prices are insane. Just google the film you are looking for and check under shopping. Right now c41 color film is about $10/roll, Ilford HP5 is about $8, the excellent Kentmere 400 - made by Ilford - is about $5.50 36exp.

B&W dev is super easy using Cinestill DF96 monobath which I use all the time. One bottle that you can reuse 16 times that does everything.

Aug 02, 2023 at 09:53 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Recently taken w my F2AS

Aug 02, 2023 at 09:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

snegron7
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Desmolicious wrote:
Where are you based? Then we could perhaps know or recommend a lab close to you.
I shoot w my film Nikons all the time. As for cost of film? Do NOT buy it from Amazon. Their prices are insane. Just google the film you are looking for and check under shopping. Right now c41 color film is about $10/roll, Ilford HP5 is about $8, the excellent Kentmere 400 - made by Ilford - is about $5.50 36exp.

B&W dev is super easy using Cinestill DF96 monobath which I use all the time. One bottle that you can reuse 16 times that
...Show more

I'm in SW Florida (Fort Myers area). The only local lab here was Creative Photo (used to be called Pro Photo). They used to do 35mm and 120mm color negative and slide developing. Now they have gone fully digital and outsource their film developing. It's a shame because they used to do a really good job.

I looked at Amazon prices, but I ended up ordering from B&H. I trust that B&H won't sell me expired film (unless they explicitly advertise it as expired).

Aug 02, 2023 at 01:04 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

BH sent me a 5 pack of Portra that was actually half Tri-X, so don’t trust anything TOO much

snegron7 wrote:
I'm in SW Florida (Fort Myers area). The only local lab here was Creative Photo (used to be called Pro Photo). They used to do 35mm and 120mm color negative and slide developing. Now they have gone fully digital and outsource their film developing. It's a shame because they used to do a really good job.

I looked at Amazon prices, but I ended up ordering from B&H. I trust that B&H won't sell me expired film (unless they explicitly advertise it as expired).

Aug 02, 2023 at 01:10 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

snegron7 wrote:

I recently bought Fuji 200 from midwestphoto, who were a lot cheaper than B&H.

Aug 02, 2023 at 02:00 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

RoamingScott wrote:
BH sent me a 5 pack of Portra that was actually half Tri-X, so don’t trust anything TOO much

Great, now you tell me! Part of my yet to arrive order was 120mm Porta 160! 😀

Aug 02, 2023 at 02:08 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

Desmolicious wrote:
I recently bought Fuji 200 from midwestphoto, who were a lot cheaper than B&H.

Thanks! I'll definitely try them!

Aug 02, 2023 at 02:09 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

snegron7 wrote:
Great, now you tell me! Part of my yet to arrive order was 120mm Porta 160! 😀

midwestphoto is $1 cheaper/roll for 120 Portra 160. $1.50 cheaper/roll for Portra 400.

Aug 02, 2023 at 02:19 PM
OffTrail
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

snegron7 wrote:
Thanks! Unfortunately the last custom photo lab in my area now sends rolls out to be developed.

I'm leaning towards Dwayne's again, but I was hoping to check out other alternatives.

I haven't developed b&w in decades!! I purchased a couple of stainless steel tanks and reels around 20 years ago. I still have them new in their boxes! Back then I was hoping to load my own cartridges with bulk rolls of Tri-X, but it never happened. I would love to shoot b&w again though! I'd love to pick your brain about chemicals, times, etc.

So you're half way there. Just need a changing bag and whatever chemicals you decide on, and everything else could come from a dollar store. Funnel, measuring cup, cheap instant read thermometer, etc.

For chemicals, I've kept it simple with Kodak XTOL and Kodak Rapid Fix for years now. Rapid fix lasts long enough that I don't pay attention to price, and really XTOL is still very cheap even though it has crept up to $18. It makes 5 liters per batch (which can then be diluted 1:1) and it does a great job for all the B&W films that I shoot. But a liquid developer would be way more convenient for just getting into it, since you can typically just mix a working batch. I'm trying TMAX right now, which should come to ~$1/roll at a 1:7 dilution, and I could see that being great for someone just getting started. The DF96 that Desmolicious mentioned would be even simpler, since you wouldn't need fixer or photoflo.

For times, Kodak and Ilford offer datasheets on their films and chemicals, and those are great places to start. But if I'm using a combination that's not all one company or the other, then DigitalTruth's "Massive Dev Chart" is where I start. All of the times and temps shown on any source are just starting points though, and you'd want to do a few test rolls before you develop something you care about.

And given your location, it does look like there's a film lab you could mail to in Miami called Palm Film Lab. Prices look pretty fair.

Aug 02, 2023 at 02:37 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

OffTrail wrote:
So you're half way there. Just need a changing bag and whatever chemicals you decide on, and everything else could come from a dollar store. Funnel, measuring cup, cheap instant read thermometer, etc.

For chemicals, I've kept it simple with Kodak XTOL and Kodak Rapid Fix for years now. Rapid fix lasts long enough that I don't pay attention to price, and really XTOL is still very cheap even though it has crept up to $18. It makes 5 liters per batch (which can then be diluted 1:1) and it does a great job for all the B&W films that I
...Show more

Thank you!!! I look forward trying my hand at developing soon!

As for the lab (Palm Lab), it's definitely worth a day trip for me (3 hour drive). I can stop by there on my way to my favorite camera store in Miami, Pitman Photo Supply!

Aug 02, 2023 at 02:53 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

I like Pitman a lot, they're good folks!

Aug 02, 2023 at 02:56 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any Nikon Film Camera Shooters Here?

There is something magical about pulling a strip of film out of a developing tank and seeing those images on it. Never gets old.

Aug 02, 2023 at 04:37 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.