FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              52       53       end

Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

fjablo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

Hey everyone,

seems like the next Z camera will be the full-frame version of the Zfc -see e.g. https://nikonrumors.com/2023/07/24/getting-close-to-the-next-nikon-announcement-full-frame-mirrorless-retro-design-camera.aspx/

So I thought it would be fun to talk a bit about what we're expecting or hoping for. Obviously this will be a lifestyle-camera so please accept the facts instead of ranting about this not being a Z-version of the D500

I'll start with some thoughts:

Body design?
I like the design of the Zfc, but it would be nice to have 1-2 additional FN buttons on the front. Not really expecting this, but it would also be cool if Nikon went in a different direction with the full frame model and base it off the F2 or F3 instead of the FM2. Hopefully we'll also get some nicer materials as the Zfc is a bit plasticky..

Which sensor?
Could be a new one, but I think it's more likely they will recycle the Z6ii sensor one more time.. maybe the Z7ii sensor? Don't really care too much tbh, they're all good..

Autofocus improvements?
I hope some of the algorithms and the 3D-tracking interface from the Z9/Z8 make their way to the Zf but this could end up being a disappointment and just the same AF as the Z6/Z7ii..

New FTZ adapter?
Probably low chance of a new adapter with additional functionality like aperture index pin or even AF-D support, but maybe they'll release a special edition to match the looks of the Zf / Zfc?

New SE lens?
Would be amazing to get the 50mm 1.8S, but since the 40mm already exists as SE version, I don't think it will come. Imo the SE adapter is more likely..

What do you think?

Jul 26, 2023 at 08:10 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

Literally all I want is a Z6ii in the ZF C body. I don't need Z8 tracking. I need a great full frame sensor with good low light so I can use it for light travel day or night.

It would be cool if it were a metal build more like the old Nikon film cameras or Fuji cameras, but that won't happen. It'll be plastic for sure.

Jul 26, 2023 at 08:19 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

fjablo wrote:
Hey everyone,

seems like the next Z camera will be the full-frame version of the Zfc -see e.g. https://nikonrumors.com/2023/07/24/getting-close-to-the-next-nikon-announcement-full-frame-mirrorless-retro-design-camera.aspx/

So I thought it would be fun to talk a bit about what we're expecting or hoping for. Obviously this will be a lifestyle-camera so please accept the facts instead of ranting about this not being a Z-version of the D500

I'll start with some thoughts:

Body design?
I like the design of the Zfc, but it would be nice to have 1-2 additional FN buttons on the front. Not really expecting this, but it would also be cool if Nikon went in
...Show more

If this camera materializes, I am thinking you are correct on most of this...which also means not much to be excited about as well unfortunately.

Wish list stuff for me would be some kind of innovative viewfinder, like perhaps a swappable waistlevel viewfinder. Also some improved features for people who are adapting to MF glass. Other than that, keep the mechanical shutter with 1/8000s max, keep the build quality high and make it fun. These retro styled Nikon bodies were never intended to be the best at anything, but hoping they can be fun to use.

I've owned the Df and Zfc both. I am in the minority, but I didn't enjoy much about the Df. Zfc was a little more transparent to use, but it had some unforgivable omissions that made me move on from it.

Jul 26, 2023 at 08:22 AM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

RoamingScott wrote:
Literally all I want is a Z6ii in the ZF C body. I don't need Z8 tracking. I need a great full frame sensor with good low light so I can use it for light travel day or night.

It would be cool if it were a metal build more like the old Nikon film cameras or Fuji cameras, but that won't happen. It'll be plastic for sure.

What Scott said. Plus a discount to ease the pain of my recent contributions to Nikon's kitty.

Mary

Jul 26, 2023 at 08:26 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

Maybe I'll finally be able to sell my Z Voigtlander 40/1.2 if this camera materialises

It would be the perfect MF lens for travel on a body like this.

Jul 26, 2023 at 08:30 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

After years of looking at it and ogling at pics online, I finally bought a gently used zfc Amber brown
Now Nikon is dropping a Zf

Jul 26, 2023 at 08:51 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

RoamingScott wrote:

That's exactly what I was looking for when I bought this Zfc early this year. The body I purchased used here came with the SmallRig grip--which looks perfect and fixes the handling--but also makes it the same size as a Z6/7. No longer smaller for travel and giving up sensor size, IBIS, and the tilt up/down screen that prefer (require) made the Zfc's only benefits really that of style and vanity.

I ended up picking up a Z7II on a good deal and shoot that more than my beloved Z6II. I've been almost exclusively in 4:5 crop mode, which I enjoy over 2:3 for reasons that I don't fully understand.

When Nikon deviates from their "regular" style and ergonomics, they are bound to alienate some. Hopefully this 3rd (expected) iteration is a winner.

Jul 26, 2023 at 09:30 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

saaketham wrote:
After years of looking at it and ogling at pics online, I finally bought a gently used zfc Amber brown
Now Nikon is dropping a Zf

That’s how it works

Jul 26, 2023 at 09:32 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

BSPhotog wrote:
That's exactly what I was looking for when I bought this Zfc early this year. The body I purchased used here came with the SmallRig grip--which looks perfect and fixes the handling--but also makes it the same size as a Z6/7. No longer smaller for travel and giving up sensor size, IBIS, and the tilt up/down screen that prefer (require) made the Zfc's only benefits really that of style and vanity.

I ended up picking up a Z7II on a good deal and shoot that more than my beloved Z6II. I've been almost exclusively in 4:5 crop mode, which I
...Show more

I'm kind of weird about body handling. I can't stand smaller Fujis like the X-T line but I love the 100v. I've still never actually held a Zfc, so not sure how I'd feel about it. If you put a lens of any size on the front, I imagine the lack of grip would get annoying quickly.

That said, I'd like only have a small prime mounted mostly.

Jul 26, 2023 at 09:34 AM
KR Photo

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

I've been wanting a compact FX body, something like the Sony A7c, for travel, hiking, going out at night. I'd use it with my compact lenses, the 24-50 and the 28 and 40mm compacts (and maybe one day the 26mm pancake).

Since there's no assurance that such a body will materialize, I may take a hard look at the Zf (and then I'll have to overlook the oddity of putting modern-styled lenses on a retro-styled body).

Jul 26, 2023 at 09:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

akul
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

Would it be conceivable that they use modified 20.8 MP sensor from D6 ?

Jul 26, 2023 at 09:49 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

akul wrote:

Not sure why they would when they are bound to have a surplus of off the shelf sensors from the Z6/Z6ii. That's a point where they can save a lot of money.

Jul 26, 2023 at 09:50 AM
akul
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

I know, I know. But, isn't D6 sort of the king in terms of low light in all Nikon lineup today ? DF used D4 sensor.. Sort of boring think they once again use Z6 Z6II sensor once again. And, if they 'invest' a bit on the modified D6 sensor, they may add 'cross type' af sensor which apparently should help the AF?

Jul 26, 2023 at 09:53 AM
Shi-va

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

Hi Scott, I am curious to understand that why you are selling your Voigtlander Z 40 1.2....I have read in another thread also regarding same....I was interested in this lens clubbing with new ZF if it ever comes out....just wanted to understand your opinion after using this lens

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:39 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

Shi-va wrote:
Hi Scott, I am curious to understand that why you are selling your Voigtlander Z 40 1.2....I have read in another thread also regarding same....I was interested in this lens clubbing with new ZF if it ever comes out....just wanted to understand your opinion after using this lens

I simply enjoy using my Ultron 40/2 more. The 40/1.2 was a bucket list lens since the Sony days, but just didn't jive with me.

I also don't have the opportunity to shoot urban like I used to, most of my plans around that lens were more for environmental shots.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:42 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

akul wrote:

I was wondering about that as well and it still seems to be unmatched in low light, but probably more likely they go with the 24mp sensor.

Another thing that would be great if enabled: focus confirmation for adapted / non-CPU lenses. The DSLRs do that with the green dot, but the only solution for the Z's is via the TTartisan 6bit adapter (and thus a limited set of focal lengths). We can probably add that to the list of "would have been nice" after release

I'll likely pick one up as well (at least eventually, maybe not this year) and probably also a Voigtländer lens. Still unsure which one though, a bit torn between the 50mm APO and the 40mm..

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:57 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

Mine is dumb cheap in BST if you’re looking

fjablo wrote:
I was wondering about that as well and it still seems to be unmatched in low light, but probably more likely they go with the 24mp sensor.

Another thing that would be great if enabled: focus confirmation for adapted / non-CPU lenses. The DSLRs do that with the green dot, but the only solution for the Z's is via the TTartisan 6bit adapter (and thus a limited set of focal lengths). We can probably add that to the list of "would have been nice" after release

I'll likely pick one up as well (at least eventually, maybe not this year)
...Show more

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:59 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

RoamingScott wrote:

Makes sense. For me a more advanced AF would make it a better complement to the Z7 - one for landscapes, one for people.

I guess the advantage for Nikon would be less harsh criticism from all the youtubers

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:04 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

fjablo wrote:

I'll likely pick one up as well (at least eventually, maybe not this year)
...Show more

Yes please ! Then I would actually use my CV 50 1.1 rather than the 40 1.2Z all the time.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:20 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Let's talk about the Nikon Zf

fjablo wrote:
New FTZ adapter?
Probably low chance of a new adapter with additional functionality like aperture index pin or even AF-D support, but maybe they'll release a special edition to match the looks of the Zf / Zfc?

I'm not so fussed about the new camera, but they should 100% do this. Stop down metering isn't that big of a deal with manual lenses, but it would be amazing to be able to use the aperture index pin to allow for wide open focusing on AI/AI-S lenses, and putting in a screw drive would go a long way to maintaining full compatibility. I would buy it in an instant, and I don't even have much in the way of F mount glass.

Jul 26, 2023 at 02:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.