FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end

Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

lukemeup
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

GrandNagus50 wrote:
I really don't see the purpose of these two little fit-together pieces. Am I missing something important?

Post a photo - I have this bracket and everything is sitting flush. I can't really see any plastic pieces but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Feb 15, 2024 at 01:27 PM
GrandNagus50
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

I don't have an "upload and sell" membership currently so I can't post a photo, as far as I can tell.
I mostly post to Steve Perry's Backcountry Gallery forums.

A verbal description will have to do:

On the lower/bottom portion of the Leofoto Z8 L- bracket, you will see the main screw that attaches to the tripod socket of the camera, then if you look toward the "L" side of the bracket, there is a small silver (stopper) screw that actually is attached to a black plastic piece that sticks up a bit from the bottom plate and hence stops the side part of the bracket from being set flush to the side of the camera body. Two little pieces, the silver one screwed into the black one.

I removed these, keeping them for possible future use should I figure out some positive purpose or really, unlikely, sell the L bracket.

Feb 15, 2024 at 01:38 PM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

GrandNagus50 wrote:
I don't have an "upload and sell" membership currently so I can't post a photo, as far as I can tell.
I mostly post to Steve Perry's Backcountry Gallery forums.

A verbal description will have to do:

On the lower/bottom portion of the Leofoto Z8 L- bracket, you will see the main screw that attaches to the tripod socket of the camera, then if you look toward the "L" side of the bracket, there is a small silver (stopper) screw that actually is attached to a black plastic piece that sticks up a bit from the bottom plate and hence stops the
...Show more

I'll PM you the photos of mine. I have no plastic pieces in the spot you're describing.

Feb 15, 2024 at 02:07 PM
dalegaspi
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

SmallRig and Leofoto do have original products which I buy, but for the most part they are rip-offs. Leofoto, especially...shamelessly copying what RRS puts out.

for L-brackets I only buy RRS...because it's really well-made and has QD socket. I used buy Kirk as alternative if they are cheaper but lately Kirk's rep is slipping as a few has pointed out...they fumbled on rushing some products to market...i remember that Kirk Z9 L-Bracket...oof that was rough...good thing I did not order that.

I had the Smallrig L-bracket for the Z9 (the first version)...it's absolute garbage (vertical part flexes so much it's useless) so I will not do that again. I haven't tried any L-brackets from Leofoto and I probably never will.

The only other company I would probably consider is ProMediaGear.

edit: I just looked at both Smallrig and Leofoto Z8 brackets...I'm not touching either of those with a 10-foot pole even if I have a Z8. They appear both have the same thin vertical part as the original Smallrig Z9 bracket...that would flex and vibrate a lot.

Feb 15, 2024 at 03:31 PM
bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

I've bought the Kirk, Leofoto, and now RRS brackets for the Z8. The Kirk has a thin part that looks suspicious and the bottom plate wraps around the bottom rather than using one on the bottom holes for stability. The Leofoto has sliding screws for both the bottom screw and the alignment hole. The when you tighten it, it seems like they forgot about the rubber attachment for the PC port on the front since it does not fit flush on the side. I really wanted the RRS ultralight bracket but for some reason they are not offering it. So I bit the bullet and got the RRS modular bracket. Best fit of the three I have, it really seems like the other companies really did not work to develop a good part for the Z8 surprisingly.

Feb 15, 2024 at 05:34 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

As a followup on this, I have ended up settling on the Three Legged Thing "Zooey" bracket for my Z8 - lighter than the smallrig and very sturdy. Only downside is the little bumper on the top (which you can screw to touch the body and provide even more rigidity) requires loctite to stay in place...a dab of the purple for a non-permanent yet secure bond and it's good to go. Only thing I wish they'd done is use the more distant anti-twist post hole rather than the one right behind the socket, as when installing it can be slightly angled if you don't look - but it doesn't move at all once tightened down and has been quite good for me over the past several months.

Feb 15, 2024 at 08:24 PM
PAFL-rev

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

You can always post photo links from BGP

Feb 16, 2024 at 05:01 AM
PAFL-rev

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Though late to the party.
Always good to check BS and other secondary markets for those pricey L-bracket brands, especially around the holidays for extra discounts

Feb 16, 2024 at 05:06 AM
bcaslis
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Jman13 wrote:
As a followup on this, I have ended up settling on the Three Legged Thing "Zooey" bracket for my Z8 - lighter than the smallrig and very sturdy. Only downside is the little bumper on the top (which you can screw to touch the body and provide even more rigidity) requires loctite to stay in place...a dab of the purple for a non-permanent yet secure bond and it's good to go. Only thing I wish they'd done is use the more distant anti-twist post hole rather than the one right behind the socket, as when installing it can be slightly
...Show more

As far as I can tell from pictures the Zooey doesn't have a QD socket. Is that correct?

Feb 16, 2024 at 01:32 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

bcaslis wrote:
As far as I can tell from pictures the Zooey doesn't have a QD socket. Is that correct?

That's correct.

Feb 16, 2024 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

bcaslis wrote:
The Leofoto has sliding screws for both the bottom screw and the alignment hole. The when you tighten it, it seems like they forgot about the rubber attachment for the PC port on the front since it does not fit flush on the side.

The vertical portion of the Leofoto bracket does not interfere with moving that PC port cover or using the PC port on my Z8.

I have an RRS two-piece L-bracket (bought used) for my Z7 II, and there is literally no difference in the rigidity between that and the Leofoto bracket on my Z8. Since RRS chose not to make a full-length bottom plate for the Z8, they were never an option for me in the first place.

Feb 17, 2024 at 01:07 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

GrandNagus50 wrote:
On the lower/bottom portion of the Leofoto Z8 L- bracket, you will see the main screw that attaches to the tripod socket of the camera, then if you look toward the "L" side of the bracket, there is a small silver (stopper) screw that actually is attached to a black plastic piece that sticks up a bit from the bottom plate and hence stops the side part of the bracket from being set flush to the side of the camera body. Two little pieces, the silver one screwed into the black one.

No such pieces came with my Leofoto L-bracket. It would help if you could post a photo - maybe you got the wrong bracket?

Feb 17, 2024 at 01:10 PM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Same here - the LPN-Z8 I have doesn't come with any plastic pieces. The L portion of the bracket is very rigid (doesn't really bend in any way), sits flush against the body and does not interfere with any ports.

Feb 17, 2024 at 03:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

That’s why there’s a marketplace. Something for everyone’s taste. The RRS L for the Z8 is based on the D500 model just with updated construction. I like it but currently not doing the Z8. The Z9 fits my working needs.

Feb 17, 2024 at 04:10 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

molson wrote:
The vertical portion of the Leofoto bracket does not interfere with moving that PC port cover or using the PC port on my Z8.

I have an RRS two-piece L-bracket (bought used) for my Z7 II, and there is literally no difference in the rigidity between that and the Leofoto bracket on my Z8. Since RRS chose not to make a full-length bottom plate for the Z8, they were never an option for me in the first place.

The front top edge of the Leofoto bracket sits exactly on the rubber strap between the front PC port and cover that piece that comes back to the lug to keep it on. All the other L-bracket have a space there to allow this rubber piece to be in place on still fit flush to the side. It's a bad design.

Feb 17, 2024 at 04:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

The devil is in the details. Same on the RRS

The same cutout on the D500, D850, Z9 as they all share the same I/O port config.

Two different methods.
There is a cutout on the leofoto z8 L. The concentrated on the strap lug setup clearance and one just adjusts the whole plate Assy for fit. Not a bad design just different. It is more economical to produce

Feb 17, 2024 at 04:59 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

bcaslis wrote:
The front top edge of the Leofoto bracket sits exactly on the rubber strap between the front PC port and cover that piece that comes back to the lug to keep it on. All the other L-bracket have a space there to allow this rubber piece to be in place on still fit flush to the side. It's a bad design.

It does not actually touch the rubber strap, so what is the issue?

Feb 17, 2024 at 05:52 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

molson wrote:
It does not actually touch the rubber strap, so what is the issue?

This is what you consider not touching? It's jammed right up there against the rubber and prevents you from fully putting in the closest position.

Feb 17, 2024 at 08:12 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

bcaslis wrote:
This is what you consider not touching? It's jammed right up there against the rubber and prevents you from fully putting in the closest position.

On my Z8, the L-bracket contacts the stud for the strap, which stops it before it it touches the rubber tether for the PC port cover; nothing is jammed. Most L-brackets I'ver ever seen are like this.

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

doesn't sound well thought out. metal to metal. but then that can be backed off a hair.

Feb 18, 2024 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.