New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       5       end

Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

when you are in a hurry to get stuff out of the barn there is a chance, you'll be paying for it more than once.

Aug 17, 2023 at 05:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Epowers wrote:
Chinese are very proficient with CNC machines. That is why their products are cheap and they sell a lot of them at these prices. Companies like Kirk probably only have 1 CNC machine that does not produce as many brackets as Chinese. I bet materials in China also much cheaper. As far as quality, this is not a rocket science. CNC machines are very precision so Chinese can produce quality products too. It mostly boils down to the design and testing. If design is good then product is good.

probable more than you think.

Chinese have a bad habit of misinforming and lower tolerance manufacturing. not all though. oh, i agree there are less products produced by KE but they pay their people a little better and have higher quality tolerance. as far as quality it is rocket science if you do it correctly. a CNC machine is only as good as its programmer/operator.

in the end its all about overseeing and control.

yes, KE is not a large endeavor but i believe they have more than one and they use them with higher precision. in the US operations don't last unless the produce the quality. in China there is less tolerance and the only ones who last are those that do it right and under a level of QC surveillance. its the lack of that QC that ruins the product.

Aug 17, 2023 at 06:32 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

sjms wrote:
when you are in a hurry to get stuff out of the barn there is a chance, you'll be paying for it more than once.

That's why I'm skipping the KES and RRS products this time around... it looks like they're scrambling and in a big hurry to catch up, and at their prices, I certainly don't want to be paying for it more than once.

Aug 17, 2023 at 07:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

RRS isn't scrambling. why bother? they weren't the first out of the gate with the Z9. but from my perspective it is the best laid out and produced. i do believe i have the background to back up my opinion.

it has been eyeballed but then i don't have a Z8 to use it with. this L is again an exercise in functional quality.

Aug 17, 2023 at 07:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

sjms wrote:

molson wrote:
That's why I'm skipping the KES and RRS products this time around... it looks like they're scrambling and in a big hurry to catch up, and at their prices, I certainly don't want to be paying for it more than once.

Kirk has a nice Z8 L bracket. I usually have only one per camera model even if I have three bodies. How many Z8s do you have to equip with L brackets?

EBH

Aug 17, 2023 at 08:11 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

EB-1 wrote:
Kirk has a nice Z8 L bracket. I usually have only one per camera model even if I have three bodies. How many Z8s do you have to equip with L brackets?

EBH

This line of posts came after my comment that I found Kirkís design for the Z8 bracket to be sub-par. The vertical bracket flexes a lot. I have always enjoyed Kirkís stuff and have owned a lot of their brackets and clamps, but Iím returning my Z8 bracket.

Aug 17, 2023 at 08:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

as far as the RRS L version for the Z8 it is a variation of the D500 L

Edited on Aug 17, 2023 at 09:15 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2023 at 08:40 PM
woodstork
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Thatís a big miss for Kirk. They donít do well for their reputation by rushing things. Kirk really need to recenter on who they are and not try to beat the Chinese manufacturers to be first to the market. Instead their bread is buttered by taking the time to produce a better product. If they donít produce a better product then they will go under.

Jman13 wrote:
This line of posts came after my comment that I found Kirkís design for the Z8 bracket to be sub-par. The vertical bracket flexes a lot. I have always enjoyed Kirkís stuff and have owned a lot of their brackets and clamps, but Iím returning my Z8 bracket.

Aug 17, 2023 at 09:04 PM
woodstork
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

So true!

sjms wrote:

Aug 17, 2023 at 09:07 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

My Smallrig bracket came in today. Seems well made - a little nicer finish than the Smallrig bracket I had on my R5. It has a small amount of flex vertically, but not as much as the Kirk. Overall, it'll work well, though with two down sides: 1) The slotted key is held in by two small magnets and slides in, but it seem like it might be fairly easy to slide out of position and get lost. Time will tell. 2) It's fairly heavy for an L bracket due to its full coverage bottom. This isn't that big of a deal, because I only put my bracket on when I am doing tripod work. I guess a third partial one as well - it's hard to get your finger in to open the battery door. Doable, but hard.

Aug 18, 2023 at 07:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

it seems that there is more scrambling on the consumer side. i have a universal to use if the one i am interested in is a little late to the party. i've used it on a number components.
my Z9 hung off this for a few months before my L came from RRS

in the end i want no wrenches or other little doodad tools being a part of the carry around package if it is not absolutely necessary. and to this day i see that as a good place to lose such things. yes, even on RRS stuff too.

NIKON Z 6    NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens    70mm    1/125s    5600 ISO  

Aug 18, 2023 at 07:22 AM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Jman13 wrote:
My Smallrig bracket came in today. Seems well made - a little nicer finish than the Smallrig bracket I had on my R5. It has a small amount of flex vertically, but not as much as the Kirk. Overall, it'll work well, though with two down sides: 1) The slotted key is held in by two small magnets and slides in, but it seem like it might be fairly easy to slide out of position and get lost. Time will tell. 2) It's fairly heavy for an L bracket due to its full coverage bottom. This isn't that big of
...Show more
I have a smallrig L bracket for a Z6ii and had the same concern about the slotted key eventually being lost. Now around a year has passed and Iíve had no issues at all as itís remained secure.

Aug 18, 2023 at 09:17 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

The magnets are crap. The key for my new Smallrig A-S base fell off and was lost in July after about one week of use.

EBH

Aug 18, 2023 at 09:58 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

But you got what you paid for right?

Edited on Aug 18, 2023 at 12:02 PM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:19 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

woodstork wrote:
Thatís a big miss for Kirk.

Not sure it is. Flexing "a lot" is undefined, and a) on mirrorless I don't think some flex is a big deal - no shutter shock and b) if the Z9 brackets are any indication, the Kirk will be lighter, which is a selling point.

Trading off weight for rigidity is something for each consumer to figure out for their own needs.

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:57 AM
JJosephLatshaw

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

My RRS Z8 L-bracket has shipped. Will report back when it arrives.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

sjms wrote:
But you got what you paid for right?

I got a cheap product that nobody else makes (not for a Z8, but the exact same key concept). There are many complaints about the bases sometimes not being flush with the camera bases, etc.
It's like they don't have any kind of quality that rejects bad product.

Why you are showing Leofoto, since we were talking about the SmallRig?

EBH

Aug 18, 2023 at 01:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

actually i do believe this thread is named: Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8. so i showed the location for Leofoto in LA

its a mixed bag.

other brands were also mentioned like KES and bite my tongue my favorite RRS (they generally get it right to begin with)

yeah, in the end you did get what you paid for.

Aug 18, 2023 at 01:54 PM
GrandNagus50
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

I received my Leofoto Z8 bracket, and I found it had a kind of curious feature that puzzles me (or maybe I am thick, sorry). There are two tiny fit-together pieces in the bottom portion of the bracket that serve as a "stopper" preventing the side portion from sitting flush with the camera body. One piece is plastic, the other, which screws into it, is like one of those safety stop screws. This little "barrier" produces a gap between the side portion of the L bracket and the side of the camera that is perhaps a third of an inch wide. I did not like this, so I removed the two little pieces attached to the bracket, and now the thing fits flush against the camera and is quite satisfactory.

I really don't see the purpose of these two little fit-together pieces. Am I missing something important?

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:45 PM
GrandNagus50
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Addendum: I emailed Leofoto USA about this issue, and the good news is that I got a reply almost instantaneously. The bad news is that whoever is at the US office, he/she hasn't a clue how the product works or is supposed to work. Like, "dunno."

I will, however, that the bracket itself is nicely made, and seems a bit more sturdy than the SmallRig bracket I got for my Z9.
I will add that getting a non-top-of-the-line L bracket is ok with me because I do not keep these brackets on the camera except in situations where I might need to use them. Mostly, I use my gear to take bird photos, and hence it is the lens foot that is mounted to the tripod head.

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:50 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.