New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       5       end

Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

George DeCamp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

I got the SmallRig L braket for the Z8 today and think it well made and I'm very satisfied. Normally I purchase Kirk or RRS brackets then I hardly use them, they mostly sit in the closet. This SmallRig will work fine for me, I do have one complaint (which is no big deal) it could have rounder corners so its not to sharp feeling in the hands. However the only time I use it will be on a tripod so it's a non-issue for me. All in all for under $60 vs 3 times as much it's a no brainer for me! YMMV

Jul 13, 2023 at 02:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

details, details, details

but would you want to work at the place that manufacturers the $60 one at the amount they pay? you can imagine the profit the company really makes on those pieces.

once my bracket is on it essentially stays on. no real reason to remove it as i look at the bracket as an integrated part of the camera body itself for use.

Edited on Jul 13, 2023 at 11:34 PM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2023 at 03:19 PM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

I'm sure they make lots $$$ Actually they have cameras and lenses made there too, it's a shame but that's the way things work now.

Jul 13, 2023 at 05:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

there is a subtle difference, "they", being companies that have contracts and personnel there that control their own products. the others are less so.

Jul 13, 2023 at 05:49 PM
bernardl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

molson wrote:
If you want to avoid companies that steal designs, I guess you would only buy from Arca-Swiss...

No no, on the contrary.

I do buy a lot from Arca, with 2 cameras and 3 tripod heads from them, but I see RRS, Kirk,... as expanding the reach of the platform they created.

None of the devices designed by RRS copy any Arca design, they just build on top of the platform.

Having studied the platform topic through MIT courses, I can tell you that they are actually helping Arca big way and I would go as far as saying that RRS made the Arca platform a platform that they were not even aware they had created. It's a pretty rare business case and a very interesting one. But regadless, Arca is not a victim at all.

Leofoto is stealing the design of devices, totally different story IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jul 13, 2023 at 08:56 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

I received my Leofoto LPN-Z8 today, and I'm really impressed with the design. It's very robust, much more rigid than any of the Smallrig L-brackets I've owned previously, and the fit and finish is excellent.

Leofoto even upgraded the shipping to Express at no extra charge - so the bracket including shipping came in at less than half of what RRS charges just for the shipping to Canada (and since the value is less than $100 there was no duty, taxes, or brokerage fees to pay when it arrived).

Jul 19, 2023 at 02:02 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Jman13 wrote:
What Kirk photo debacle?

I've always had good experiences with Kirk products...did they mess up their Z8 bracket?

Not sure if it would be classified as a debacle, but Kirk also made their original 800PF replacement foots 1/4" too long so they hit the lens hood when reversed - it seems as if they did not bother to test it on an actual lens before mass production and sales. The plates are now 6.0" instead of 6.25" which corrects the issue, but affected users are reporting Kirk is making people pay return shipping for their mistake which in my opinion is disappointing, especially for international customers. I like Kirk products but their customer service might need some work. Apparently the whole first batch went to B&H which didn't help things either. Not the end of the world obviously, but that's what I originally thought was being referenced when "Kirk debacle" was mentioned.

I use a Leofoto carbon monopod and VH-10S head and I am really happy with their stuff for the price. Quality is identical to the "luxury" brands in my experience.

Jul 19, 2023 at 02:45 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

CanadaMark wrote:
I like Kirk products but their customer service might need some work. Apparently the whole first batch went to B&H which didn't help things either. Not the end of the world obviously, but that's what I originally thought was being referenced when "Kirk debacle" was mentioned.

Kirk also decided to stop shipping products to their Canadian distributor (TCS) recently, so Canadian customers have to buy their products through B&H; buying directly from Kirk is cost-prohibitive.

Jul 19, 2023 at 03:37 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

molson wrote:
Kirk also decided to stop shipping products to their Canadian distributor (TCS) recently, so Canadian customers have to buy their products through B&H; buying directly from Kirk is cost-prohibitive.

That's disappointing. At least B&H is still a great option for Canadians for most things and free shipping over $99 is a pretty easy threshold to pass haha. They are nice to have as a backup as they tend to carry everything.

I was actually in TCS today buying some Wimberley hardware and the packaging on the Kirk feet I saw was starting to turn yellow - looked like they had been sitting there a while!

I've bought the odd thing from RRS too but their markup is getting egregious and I'm not a fan of their service either. Shipping a small item to Canada is also $70+ USD plus import fees.

Some of my favorite stuff is probably from ProMediaGear and I think they make the best gimbal but they don't really have a Canadian presence. B&H sells most of their popular models though.

Jul 19, 2023 at 04:19 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

CanadaMark wrote:
I've bought the odd thing from RRS too but their markup is getting egregious and I'm not a fan of their service either. Shipping a small item to Canada is also $70+ USD plus import fees.

When I looked at buying an L-bracket for my Z9, RRS wanted US$115 for shipping - and then add duty, brokerage, and taxes on top of that. Buying that L-bracket from them would have set me back close to CA$600 by the time it got delivered here. As for the Z8, RRS doesn't even have an L-bracket available yet.

Jul 19, 2023 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

molson wrote:
When I looked at buying an L-bracket for my Z9, RRS wanted US$115 for shipping - and then add duty, brokerage, and taxes on top of that. Buying that L-bracket from them would have set me back close to CA$600 by the time it got delivered here. As for the Z8, RRS doesn't even have an L-bracket available yet.

Yeah that's ridiculous. Makes you wonder how much international business they get. Also at those prices I wouldn't be surprised if they are pocketing some of the shipping fee - I can ship the same size/weight item to their address by air with tracking for $20.00 CAD. No idea why they're asking over 5 times that.

Jul 19, 2023 at 04:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

why don't you just ask them?

Jul 24, 2023 at 02:47 PM
Epowers

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

If there was a problem with the patent then places like Amazon would not be selling these items. But I hardly doubt that a dovetail can be patented because it is used in many applications.

Aug 17, 2023 at 10:27 AM
Epowers

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Chinese are very proficient with CNC machines. That is why their products are cheap and they sell a lot of them at these prices. Companies like Kirk probably only have 1 CNC machine that does not produce as many brackets as Chinese. I bet materials in China also much cheaper. As far as quality, this is not a rocket science. CNC machines are very precision so Chinese can produce quality products too. It mostly boils down to the design and testing. If design is good then product is good.

Aug 17, 2023 at 10:35 AM
woodstork
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Iím an engineer and respect innovation, ingenuity in design, and finely crafted manufacturing. Companies like Wimberley, RRS, and Kirk have earned my support because they drive design progress and produce high-quality, reliable products. Yes, itís at a premium cost but itís worth it to me. Companies like Leofoto and Smallrig invest in cost-saving manufacturing processes and avoid R&D cost by mimicking proven designs.

Is that legally a ripoff? Beats me, but I donít have to like it. Seems like McDonalds didnít invent the hamburger. They donít make the best burger. They just make the most burgers cheap. And I donít eat them.

Although I hate paying high prices and waiting forever for delivery of slow-to-market and low inventory products, my first and only experience with Smallrig drove me right back to Kirk as my go to supplier. I needed a bracket immediately and bought one from Smallrig based solely on availability. Their Z9 L-bracket vibrates like a banjo string on the vertical side. Leofoto I have no experience with and probably never will.

Some Chinese manufacturers produce excellent and innovative products and are well worth considering, so itís important to distinguish the cheap ripoff ones from those that are driving markets forward with quality designs of their own lift. For example, Nisi often offer products that fit the bill there. I really like their approach to magnetic filter design, construction quality and materials, and glass IQ on my z 14-24/2.8. Best design Iíve seen so far for that lens. And they didnít steal anything from Breakthrough to get there.

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:28 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

woodstork wrote:
Companies like Leofoto and Smallrig invest in cost-saving manufacturing processes and avoid R&D cost by mimicking proven designs.

Since Smallrig and Leofoto had their Z8 L-brackets designed, built, and shipped months before Kirk or RRS could even show us a picture of what the planned to make, they obviously aren't copying the high-priced manufacturers now... maybe it's the other way around?

Aug 17, 2023 at 02:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

So an interesting follow up here - I ordered the Kirk bracket when I got my Z8, as I've always liked their stuff, and I prefer a one piece bracket generally. It has the typical Kirk fit and finish, but it isn't a well designed bracket. The L angle portion is quite thin, and as such, there is quite a lot of flex in the vertical portion of the bracket, such that with quite gentle pressure on the camera when mounted vertically, you can see visible deflection of the bracket very easily. I am returning it. for $160, it should NOT be flexing.

I ordered the Smallrig bracket since I had forgotten that Leofoto also made a clone of it, but the design is the design, and I haven't had any issues with Smallrig's stuff before. Still, I think I might eventually get the 3 Legged Thing bracket sometime after it releases, as it looks really nice, and they are always very light weight.

Aug 17, 2023 at 03:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

I remember their (Smallrig) first Z9 L bracket. Not so good and pulled from the market for months. No bodies perfect all of the time. The term well made is always relative to the person purchasing and their assumption of quality and functionality. In the case of the z8 it is a relatively simple design so it has a higher simple survivability for some. Others may find it less so.

Edited on Aug 17, 2023 at 05:39 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2023 at 03:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Most every maker has their negative moments

Aug 17, 2023 at 03:08 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-Bracket for Nikon Z8

Kirk had to pull their 800 PF lens plate from the market as well because they didn't even bother to test it with the lens hood reversed before it was sent for production. Mistakes happen but that's quite the oversight IMO. Unfortunately B&H kept selling the old version, so that didn't help. Now their lens plate is 1/4" shorter and doesn't contact the lens hood.

Aug 17, 2023 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.