Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Milky Way

Grant1120

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way

Milky Way image at Oxbow Bend, Grand Teton National Park. Image taken across the snake river at the East end of the oxbow looking towards Jackson Hole WY. Green and Purple air glow, MW and star reflection in the snake river.

D850 ISO5000, 10 sec exp, Sigma Art 14-24 mm@ 14mm

Jun 30, 2023 at 06:16 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way

In a word...Solemn! Wonderful capture, Bill!
Douglas

Jul 01, 2023 at 05:56 AM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way

Very nice, you got a lot with a single short exposure for sure. I streaked airglow is as mesmerizing as the Milky Way itself, and the ground elements really work for the composition as a whole. Good work from a nice dark site!

ML

Jul 01, 2023 at 12:43 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way

Interesting MW image with air glow.
Why do the stars reflected in the water show long streaks that converge, but the stars in the sky do not?

Dave

Jul 02, 2023 at 04:12 PM
bmike-vt
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Milky Way

Not a physics major…

For the same reason a sunset is elongated or a cityscape at night in a lake has elongated light streaks or even car headlights on a rainy street- the water is likely moving or the reflective surfaces are sitting such that they are not a perfect mirror. The starlight is reflecting off the nearly still but still not perfectly mirror smooth surface of the water and hitting the eye (or camera sensor).

https://www.arcticlight-ak.com/gallery/long-reflections/?category=instruction

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/110820/why-does-sunset-over-a-body-of-water-cause-a-path-of-light-stretching-towards-th

dclark wrote:
Interesting MW image with air glow.
Why do the stars reflected in the water show long streaks that converge, but the stars in the sky do not?

Dave

Jul 05, 2023 at 02:15 AM
Hathaway
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Milky Way

Very cool with the air glow. Next time you might try 20-25 second at those settings (assuming you were shooting close to wide open on that lens). You shouldn’t get star trails at 14 mm with 25 seconds and you will get a lot more light to work with so that you don’t get so much noise when you lift the dark areas.

Bob

Jul 06, 2023 at 11:02 PM
Grant1120

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Milky Way

I know a lot of people do push out as long as possible but I find star trails in the corners at 15 sec. I am less tolerant than some I guess but I will stick with the shorter exposure until I get a 1.4 or 1.8 prime.

Jul 18, 2023 at 05:02 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Milky Way

Surreal peaceful and beautiful capture. Congratulations!

Have you tried running a little bit of the DXO Photolab Deep Prime XT noise reduction on such images? If you do not know already (or for those who do not know) it exports a copy of the original raw, as a raw DNG (with the unique noise reduction applied) with the Adobe Lightroom or Camera Raw settings still intact!

Then if we import that version into Photoshop as a raw layer, (a RAW Smart Object) and also the original raw image as an additional raw layer (another RAW Smart Object) we have the unprecedented ability to dial in the opacity (locally or globally) of what is very likely the very best noise reduction for these types of noisier shots. Some folks are not even star stacking anymore because of it.

Jul 19, 2023 at 08:29 AM
bmike-vt
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Milky Way

When using the Lr plugin doesn’t the DXO apply a lens correction as well as the noise reduction? I would assume the Lr lens correction and the DXO are different?

Will have to test this out.

Mark Metternich wrote:

Have you tried running a little bit of the DXO Photolab Deep Prime XT noise reduction on such images? If you do not know already (or for those who do not know) it exports a copy of the original raw, as a raw DNG (with the unique noise reduction applied) with the Adobe Lightroom or Camera Raw settings still intact!

Then if we import that version into Photoshop as a raw layer, (a RAW Smart Object) and also the original raw image as an additional raw layer (another RAW Smart Object) we have the
...Show more

Jul 19, 2023 at 10:53 AM
Hathaway
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Milky Way

Mark Metternich wrote:

Then if we import that version into Photoshop as a raw layer, (a RAW Smart Object) and also the original raw image as an additional raw layer (another RAW Smart Object) we have the
...Show more

Gotta try that technique. Don’t have DXO Photolab Deep Prime XT so yet another purchase and learning curve but I do like my night shots! Thanks, Mark!

Bob

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:53 AM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Milky Way

Very nice, hoping for something similar in September.

Apr 29, 2024 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.