Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
  

New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)

  
 
j4nu
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


eyal wrote:
I shot 4,000 images tonight with the Pergear card and downloaded them by connecting the a1 to the MacBook Pro. Took the card out to cool (though wasn't as hot as from Pergear reader) and just re-inserted into the a1 and no issues at all.

Ordered the Sony CF card reader which is due to arrive tomorrow and will see if the Pergear reader is indeed the issue as I know suspect.

It's a $30 reader when bundled with $100+ for the Sony so wouldn't surprise me that there is some issue when ejecting that makes the card unreadable until formatted.

Like I
...Show more

How are you importing the images? Are you sure you're not using "Move" option on import in Lightroom? I think that when using CFE reader on macbooks the default changes to "Move".
The "Unable to display image" message is shown when the image has been deleted off the card but is still present in the database on the card...



Sep 09, 2023 at 02:21 AM
Choderboy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


BoomerNT wrote:
From Amazon product image, I do not see any VPG 400 certification for this card. Therefore I would rate this card inferior to Prograde / Delkin / etc. with VPG 400 certification.

Note that Angelbird does not show any VPG 400 certification as well.


Because (Angelbird) left the VPG400 in the dust?
Angelbird historically have used VPG.
They are a reputable company.

Here is what they say:

Performance
MAX. READ SPEED820 MB/s
MAX. WRITE SPEED730 MB/s
SUSTAINED READ SPEED750 MB/s
SUSTAINED WRITE SPEED650 MB/s

Angelbird's Stable Streamô technology supports steady and uninterrupted sustained write speeds of 650 MB/s maintained throughout the entire capacity of the card.

Take on ambitious projects with high-speed recording that supports all available features and settings across Sonyís range of CFexpress Type A cameras including Sony α1, Sony α7 IV, Sony α7S III, Sony FX3, and the Sony FX6.


I would not be concerned about sustained write speed capability of the Angelbird.




Sep 09, 2023 at 02:25 AM
Choderboy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


I don't use MAC, but my first thought was also Move rather than Copy (for the missing files after transfer)


Sep 09, 2023 at 02:28 AM
eyal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


j4nu wrote:
How are you importing the images? Are you sure you're not using "Move" option on import in Lightroom? I think that when using CFE reader on macbooks the default changes to "Move".
The "Unable to display image" message is shown when the image has been deleted off the card but is still present in the database on the card...


Well CRAP - this is the Answer. I have used LR Classic for years and it is always (always) on Copy.

Just put the card into the Pergear reader and looked up top to make sure and, it said Move. Guess it treats CF-E differently? It also doesn't eject the card automatically for anyone new to this format.



Sep 09, 2023 at 06:30 AM
BoomerNT
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Choderboy wrote:
Because (Angelbird) left the VPG400 in the dust?
Angelbird historically have used VPG.
They are a reputable company.


While performance meets the requirements, there is risk that Sony might or might not enforce VPG certification in the future to enable or disable certain shooting capabilities though.



Sep 09, 2023 at 10:16 AM
eyal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Before realizing my mistake with LRc defaulting to Move instead of Copy, I was ready to blame the Pergear CF-E reader and immediately ordered the Sony one for nearly $100 more.

It arrived today and even though I have now figured out it was user error in blaming the Pergear, I wondered which reader would be faster (if at all).

Ran Blackmagic Speed Test a few times first with the Sony and then with the Pergear using 1gb and 5gb file sizes. Note the Pergear CF-E card was used for both tests, only the reader changed. This is on an M1 Pro 14" MacBook.

Results surprisingly favored the Pergear!





Edited on Sep 18, 2023 at 01:40 PM · View previous versions



Sep 09, 2023 at 04:02 PM
Choderboy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


They are up to 5th gen A7R and they have not yet.
If you are worried about it, pay much, much more for a card that has VPG certification.


BoomerNT wrote:
While performance meets the requirements, there is risk that Sony might or might not enforce VPG certification in the future to enable or disable certain shooting capabilities though.




Sep 09, 2023 at 06:07 PM
BoomerNT
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


For A7R series, CFexpress Type A cards were introduced only starting from A7R V.

It is totally up to Sony if they decide to limit features on non-certified cards, including firmware updates for existing models. For example: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-fx30-firmware-update-does-kill-the-third-party-battery-support/

After all, it is because the certified cards are (much) more expensive.. If they are the same price, there is no reason not to buy certified ones.

Choderboy wrote:
They are up to 5th gen A7R and they have not yet.
If you are worried about it, pay much, much more for a card that has VPG certification.





Sep 18, 2023 at 11:09 AM
Jemini
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


I'm keeping an eye on Pergear 520. So far looks great for the price. I already have Prograde reader. Did anyone test Prograde reader with Pergear card?

Also noticed B&H selling a brand called "Wise Advanced" It's 512gb card costs only $250. "Nonreturnable". So definitely not buying. Any info on this brand?



Sep 18, 2023 at 01:39 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Jemini wrote:
I'm keeping an eye on Pergear 520. So far looks great for the price. I already have Prograde reader. Did anyone test Prograde reader with Pergear card?

Also noticed B&H selling a brand called "Wise Advanced" It's 512gb card costs only $250. "Nonreturnable". So definitely not buying. Any info on this brand?


Sounds like a Chinese brand to me



Sep 18, 2023 at 02:11 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

multibit
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


I got the 520GB Pergear and card reader arrive at the weekend, this weeks weather has been miserable so far . Just tried a few Hi+ test shots and itís certainly noticeably quicker than my prograde V90 SD card .
Quick test with black magic plugged into my MacBook M1 was giving 600mb write speeds a little under and over .
The card reader does get quite warm after a short time , Iíve tried the SD card with it and that gets quite warm too



Sep 19, 2023 at 01:39 AM
Jemini
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


multibit wrote:
I got the 520GB Pergear and card reader arrive at the weekend, this weeks weather has been miserable so far . Just tried a few Hi+ test shots and itís certainly noticeably quicker than my prograde V90 SD card .
Quick test with black magic plugged into my MacBook M1 was giving 600mb write speeds a little under and over .
The card reader does get quite warm after a short time , Iíve tried the SD card with it and that gets quite warm too


My Prograde CFexpress A card get really warm in Prograde reader. Never tried Sony reader thogh. Anyone?



Sep 19, 2023 at 05:36 AM
Jemini
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Douglas L wrote:
Sounds like a Chinese brand to me


Website is .tw. So yes, it's technically Chinese . But these days we get quality products from China too.

Where's pergear from?



Sep 19, 2023 at 05:46 AM
berimbolo
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Jemini wrote:
My Prograde CFexpress A card get really warm in Prograde reader. Never tried Sony reader thogh. Anyone?


Never tried the Sony reader, but I used the Pergear card with the Angelbird reader. Seemed fine to me.



Sep 19, 2023 at 06:34 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


The Prograde reader I had and it got pretty hot when in use. I bought the AngelBird one and love it stays nice and cool when in use.


Sep 19, 2023 at 07:15 AM
Jemini
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Thanks for the info. I thought it's a Cfexpress thing. Will try angelbird

GMPhotography wrote:
The Prograde reader I had and it got pretty hot when in use. I bought the AngelBird one and love it stays nice and cool when in use.




Sep 20, 2023 at 04:58 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Jemini wrote:
Thanks for the info. I thought it's a Cfexpress thing. Will try angelbird



No I think it's more the reader packaging. and heating release. I sold my Pro grade reader after I got the Angelbird



Sep 20, 2023 at 05:02 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Jemini wrote:
Website is .tw. So yes, it's technically Chinese . But these days we get quality products from China too.

Where's pergear from?


I have no hesitation buying a Sony card or other brand name card that are made in China. But I won't buy a Chinese brand card and I am Chinese by descent.



Sep 20, 2023 at 05:21 AM
unintended1
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


Douglas L wrote:
I have no hesitation buying a Sony card or other brand name card that are made in China. But I won't buy a Chinese brand card and I am Chinese by descent.


Why won't you buy a Chinese brand card?



Sep 20, 2023 at 07:56 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · New Pergear CFE-A cards (80, 260, 520GB)


unintended1 wrote:
Why won't you buy a Chinese brand card?


Whenever reliability is important, I avoid buying Chinese brand stuff. Folks may never have any problem, good for them, but I don't want to try, it's just me. Just like I won't buy 3rd party batteries for my Sony A1 and A7RV. And for other reasons which will cause political discussions, whenever possible/practical, I avoid buying Chinese made stuff but it's awfully hard sometimes.

I am still waiting for Angelbird to make that 560 GB Type A card.



Sep 20, 2023 at 08:54 AM
1       2      
3
       4       5       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.