New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

New FLM ballheads

Cduff406

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New FLM ballheads

I just saw that FLM has come our a new line of ballheads, the GX line. Has anyone seen one in person? Any thoughts?

https://flmusa.com/product/flm-47gx-ball-head/

Jun 29, 2023 at 11:17 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New FLM ballheads

Perhaps a good product but such a marketing fail. They don't tell me what is new and better about it and why I should want it. Rather a laundry list of marketing speak

Incredibly light, strong and creep-free
So your previous ballheads were heavy, weak, and tended to creep?

With a simplified but highly effective friction lever, these ball heads can outperform larger ball heads in stability and precision.
Still don't know how this is different from their older designs

The GX series features a low-profile design, a beautifully anodized satin-surface ball, short-travel pan control and the popular, FLM-designed 15˚ Stop function.
Fine, but what about this is new and why is it exciting?

These ball heads are built to last, offering the same 10-year warranty as our previous FT series heads, and will never weigh you down.
The very last thing they mention is the sameness as the old model. That is not how you sell stuff.

Jun 30, 2023 at 02:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New FLM ballheads

it looks really close in design to a certain brand people love to hate.

47, 55 and 70 mm balls

Made in China

https://flmcanada.com/product-category/ball-heads/

i wonder what will or already has happened to their other line?

the current 2023/06/30 FLM Canada website is just a little confusing at the moment.

Jun 30, 2023 at 04:37 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New FLM ballheads

It's just another of a gazillion Chinese ball heads that I would never use.

The ball is too large for the base or the base is too small for the ball; whichever perspective it's the same issue. It looks like the 1.8" base is for a travel tripod. On a normal tripod the knobs look like they will be very cramped towards the platform on the apex. I suppose the purpose of this line is to be extra lightweight, which will no doubt be better for strength and stability. 55 lbs.

EBH

Jun 30, 2023 at 07:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New FLM ballheads

It's roughly in the BH40 class. Just another variable thrown in to make it "different".

Jun 30, 2023 at 08:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New FLM ballheads

Cduff406 wrote:
I just saw that FLM has come our a new line of ballheads, the GX line. Has anyone seen one in person? Any thoughts?

https://flmusa.com/product/flm-47gx-ball-head/

For the most part it's official outing is this July (tomorrow?) And I quote:

The new GX series ball heads will be available starting July 2023.

Jun 30, 2023 at 08:42 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New FLM ballheads

sjms wrote:
It's roughly in the BH40 class. Just another variable thrown in to make it "different".

You know I'm not so enamored of the BH-40, but I'd take it every time over that new FLM. It looks like the BH-40 got pregnant.

EBH

Jun 30, 2023 at 09:10 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New FLM ballheads

FLM makes excellent gear. I have the CP26 Travel II and CP30-LV II tripods. They are superb value.

The head on my CP30-LV II is the CB-43 FTR (from the line that was replaced by these new ones). There may be other ball heads that can hold an Arca-Swiss F-Universalis with GFX 100S and lens without sagging when I'm walking around with it set up on the tripod, but I haven't found any yet.

I knew they were redesigning the heads, so grabbed a CB-43 FTR while they were still available. Given how good my other FLM gear is, I would try the new heads if I had to replace my CB-43.

Jun 30, 2023 at 09:12 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New FLM ballheads

EB-1 wrote:
You know I'm not so enamored of the BH-40, but I'd take it every time over that new FLM. It looks like the BH-40 got pregnant.

EBH

The 47mm doesn't look too bad. Especially for the price. Sort of like a flower pot. Let's see what it is like in real life though.

I do like my BH40 so I have 2 these days. i use it quite a bit on the TQC14 and TVC24

So does FLM still intend to make their original heads and still local build?

Edited on Jun 30, 2023 at 05:31 PM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2023 at 09:57 AM
Forum GAS

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New FLM ballheads

I absolutely hated the long lever in the BH40 and would probably hate the long lever in the FLM. The lever gets in the way if you want to point up or down. Sure you can move things around, but that takes time. Who wants to have to deal with it when the light is changing quickly during sunrise or sunset?

Jun 30, 2023 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New FLM ballheads

if you say so. i've used it since the day it came out on the BH55 and i still have it on the BH30 and one BH40. they do have an optional one adapted from their SOAR line called the ARC-LR. but then can't make everybody happy. i have been using one for a while now. travelled all over with it and not going to be done for a long time. what can i say i've been using them for a pretty long time.

Edited on Jun 30, 2023 at 05:28 PM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2023 at 04:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New FLM ballheads

Forum GAS wrote:
I absolutely hated the long lever in the BH40 and would probably hate the long lever in the FLM. The lever gets in the way if you want to point up or down. Sure you can move things around, but that takes time. Who wants to have to deal with it when the light is changing quickly during sunrise or sunset?

Yes, that lever is annoying. It was most always in the wrong place. Fortunately I rejected the BH-40 fairly quickly and no longer have one.

EBH

Jun 30, 2023 at 05:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New FLM ballheads

so is the shooter

and i have 2

there is always a perspective.

Jun 30, 2023 at 05:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New FLM ballheads

The BH-55 doesn't have a lever, just the giant knob.

EBH

Jun 30, 2023 at 06:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New FLM ballheads

are we talking about the lever lock or the ball lock knob/paddle on the 40. i was assuming the other individual was referring to the lever lock. if he and you are referring to the ball lock lever i guess you forgot the simple pulling out of the knob allowed a simple repositioning of the paddle ~22 notches in rotation and made it an easy less than 1/4 turn to lock and loosen in any location you want in that 360 deg of travel. not exactly rocket science.

like i said "so is the shooter".

you did read the instructions, right? i will admit the original version had only 16 positions. could be wrong give or take one or two.

Jun 30, 2023 at 06:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New FLM ballheads

let's call it a paddle so there that there is a differential between the lever lock (swing arm clamp ) and the ball lock (rotating paddle cinch type lock)

Edited on Jun 30, 2023 at 08:35 PM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2023 at 07:58 PM
nhanzero

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New FLM ballheads

@sjms: How do you compare the new ARC-LR to the old 60mm B2 Lever Clamp? The old clamp is hard to lock or unlock sometimes, especially using long lens with collar attached, the lever will clamp below the plate and it takes considerate force to unlock it.

Jun 30, 2023 at 08:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New FLM ballheads

the older lock can be problematic (though there is a built in leeway in fitting by design) due to plate dimension differences from various makers. i use pretty much all RRS plates to begin with so it is not a real issue. the ARC-LR has a secondary locking mechanism made up of a pin that locks on the newer plates in a specific position by raising up while locking. it will stay down if one needs to position out of the locking notch.

some people think the older lock will open due to external loading on the lever which is generally positioned in a hard to capture area under the plate. i have never had an occurance. so, the newer plate has a lock on the lever itself to prevent any possible flipping. it is a touch more compact. the new one still has the 3 positions of
full open
adjustment partial open to lock
full locked

the ARC-LR has adjustable tension. that can be a 2 bladed sword with plates that do not have the locking notch. you are responsible for setting the baseline tension for the locking on the plate via the clamp itself

the lever will clamp below the plate

never had the lever clamp go anywhere else other than the proper clamping area on the plate. if you feel a overload of force is necessary do not force it. visually inspect and carefully drop the clamp properly in the slot made by the clamp and reapply. again the only time i have seen issues is with plates other than RRS as they maintain high tolerances.

Edited on Jul 01, 2023 at 09:17 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2023 at 08:41 PM
nhanzero

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New FLM ballheads

sjms wrote:
the older lock is only problematic due to plate dimension differences from various makers. i use pretty much all RRS plates to begin with so it is not a real issue. the ARC-LR has a secondary locking mechanism made up of a pin that locks on the newer plates in a specific position by raising up while locking. it will stay down if one needs to position out of the locking notch.

some people think the older lock will open due to external loading on the lever which is generally positioned in a hard to capture area under the plate.
...Show more

Well I'm using genuine RRS plates, so I guess it's by design, but when locked, it's extremely robust so I don't complain, especially shooting in high wind. But you are right that the new lever clamp with adjustable could be a double-edged sword.

Jun 30, 2023 at 09:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New FLM ballheads

i already have a few plates and i believe all newer ones will have the notches built (R-Lock) in to be used or not at your option. the Z9 L bracket is extremely solid in the mount.

as to the "2-sided blade" as with most issues they tend to be induced by the user even with the older lever lock. i have confidence in both and all one has to do is not assume. eyeball and check physically your connection before you let go.

Edited on Jul 01, 2023 at 08:20 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2023 at 09:16 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.