New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

mabra

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Yes, coma can be quite strong at f2 - I occasionally had problems with night shots where, for example, the moon was completely distorted. I then simply stopped down to f2.8 and the problem went away. Apart from that, I am very happy with the image quality of the lens for my purposes (especially street photography). For landscape I would rather use other lenses.

Nov 12, 2023 at 01:55 AM
Bizzarrini

p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Thanks, good to know this is the normal behavior of the lens. Iíll continue to enjoy it and be careful when Iím taking pictures in these kind of situations. Kind regards, Ward

Nov 13, 2023 at 02:31 AM
warrenaj

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

After reading this review, I took the plunge. I bought this lens, and I love it. For me, it's not about the technical aspects of the lens, or its performance based on those aspects. Instead, it's how it feels to use it. It's a real pleasure to go out and make pictures.

Attached to my X-E4, it easily surpasses the Fujifilm XF 27 mm R WR lens which came with my camera (that's been traded in, now). The focus is easy when paired with the camera's manual focus help features, and I don't miss autofocus at all.

This lens has made it a total joy to be outside with my camera. It reminds me of my youthful experience using a Pentax ME Super: small, light kit, and based on aperture priority automatic mode.

If you're musing about this lens, muse no longer. Buy one.

Nov 13, 2023 at 04:51 AM
darwinphoto
• •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

I just bought one brand new for my X-T5. I notice the aperture is 100% manual. Set the ring to f/5.6 and the blades immediately close to f/5.6. If you want to focus wide open then shoot stopped down you have to do it manually.

Is this normal for this lens?

Dec 01, 2023 at 09:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

darwinphoto wrote:
I just bought one brand new for my X-T5. I notice the aperture is 100% manual. Set the ring to f/5.6 and the blades immediately close to f/5.6. If you want to focus wide open then shoot stopped down you have to do it manually.

Is this normal for this lens?

Even though the lens has electronics to communicate with the camera, it's essentially a fully manual mechanical lens. What you're going through is a normal experience.

Dec 01, 2023 at 09:33 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

gdanmitchell wrote:
Contrarian alert. ;-)

I know Voightlander has a history of making good lenses and all, and I can see how a 27mm f/2 lens has its appeal (despite lacking AF capability?), but as I look through this threads photographs I'm having a bit of an "Emperor's New Clothes" reaction.

There are, of course, some very nice photographs in the mix. However, to an observer who has no skin in the game it is pretty hard, going on impossible, to see any photographic evidence of the optical better-ness of this lens compared to, say, the Fujifilm 27mm f/2.8.

End contrarian alert.

I've owned the Fuji 27mm 2.8 a while back, and based on the samples posted so far, I am 100% sure this Voigtlander is a much better lens than the Fuji. Smoother bokeh, sharper, better build. I also owned the Voigtlander 40/2 MC for a while and while that was also a fun lens, the IQ is not as good as this Ultron. In fact I may just buy one of these. I'm very impressed with these samples TBH.

Dec 27, 2023 at 09:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

By a miracle the Fujifilm XF 27mm f/2.8 is in stock at B&H. Probably won't last:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1618892-REG/fujifilm_16670168_xf_27mm_f_2_8_r.html

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:01 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
By a miracle the Fujifilm XF 27mm f/2.8 is in stock at B&H. Probably won't last:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1618892-REG/fujifilm_16670168_xf_27mm_f_2_8_r.html

Didn't last 7 minutes

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:08 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

RoamingScott wrote:
Didn't last 7 minutes

I'm not sure if it's popular or if Fuji isn't producing it well, but it's been out of stock for three years! Haha. I gave it a shot, and personally, I wasn't a fan. However, it's a solid option for someone looking for portability and autofocus, even though the autofocus isn't that impressive.

Jan 10, 2024 at 02:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm not sure if it's popular or if Fuji isn't producing it well, but it's been out of stock for three years! Haha. I gave it a shot, and personally, I wasn't a fan. However, it's a solid option for someone looking for portability and autofocus, even though the autofocus isn't that impressive.

I think it is both ó kind of like the X100v. the thing is in short supply, obviously, and has been since it came out. But it is also a much more popular lens than a lot of people understand, particularly folks who assume that a small and inexpensive lens canít actually be quite a good lens.

I have a range of Fujifilm lenses ó three large zooms, a couple of macros, some large aperture primes, etc. But the lens that is most often on my camera is the 27mm f/2.8. While traveling last summer I carried 5 primesÖ and about 90% of the photos I made were with that lens.

Thereís a lot of interest in it. I fills a particular need. It is not overly expensive. It is a good lens optically.

Jan 10, 2024 at 06:07 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

In Japan the XF27mmF2.8 R WR lens seems to be in stock in lots of shops even now so maybe the stock availability shortage is a regional one...

It seems to be Fujifilm's most popular lens based on the rankings at kakaku.com.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:23 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Juha Kannisto wrote:
In Japan the XF27mmF2.8 R WR lens seems to be in stock in lots of shops even now so maybe the stock availability shortage is a regional one...

It seems to be Fujifilm's most popular lens based on the rankings at kakaku.com.

Not surprising. It is an excellent lens and very small. The 40mm equivalent focal length is also very useful.

Jan 11, 2024 at 05:55 PM
Gabe13
• •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

I like small prime lenses as well. I actually bought a second XF27mmF2.8 R WR when I absent mindedly left my original in a hotel room safe in Siem Reap ( someone got lucky ) back in late 2022. At that time I did not have any issues with finding stock.

It was a lens that checked off a lot of boxes: small, WR, pretty good IQ and is a Fuji lens so I get why many like it and mount it.

After we're gone by Gabe D., on Flickr
Fuji XF 27mm f2.8 WR

However, even after giving that lens a second chance it didn't take long to decide it wasn't for me. I definitely have been a Voigtlander enthusiast even prior to adopting the Fuji system so when the native X mount 27mm f/2 Ultron dropped I was on board and haven't regretted it one bit. The CV lenses are simply a joy to use and provide a sweet tactile experience that I can only get from their precision helicoid focusing system. They also have this unique rendering quality that I prefer many times.

Utah somewhere in IR by Gabe D., on Flickr
CV 27mm f/2 Ultron

I don't do much street style so I guess I don't really worry too much about AF ( I have my share of AF lenses for when I really want that ) but even so I find it fun and challenging to use these MF lenses in a variety of situations. Different strokes for different folks as they say and its great that we have so many choices and options that pretty much most can opt for what they like. Needless to say I opted to let the XF 27mm WR go.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:30 PM
aloy99

p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Something I noticed that I hope might help other owners of this lens:

My copy works well for shooting at moderate distances, but I noticed that when focused at infinity, edge performance was absolutely abysmal. As noted by others, the hard stop at infinity does seem to correspond to sharp focus at infinity correctly. However, this was only true in the centre, and the edges seemed not just unsharp, but completely out of focus at wider apertures.

I suspect this is due to the inward field curvature towards the edges as described in this review, such that a hard stop for infinity actually prevents you from getting objects at infinity and towards the edge of the frame within your depth of field, especially at wider apertures.

If you have warranty and encounter this issue, it might be worth it to send it in for repair and recalibration: I do not believe this is intended behaviour and a recalibration should catch this issue, since everyone else here reports decent sharpness towards the edges. I got my copy from Japan however, so I just opted to unscrew the mount and remove the thinnest mount shim. As far as my eyes can tell, the hard stop still corresponds to infinity focus in the centre (which means it was probably slightly short of infinity previously), but the edges are much better now, especially at wider apertures.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:10 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

aloy99 wrote:
Something I noticed that I hope might help other owners of this lens:

My copy works well for shooting at moderate distances, but I noticed that when focused at infinity, edge performance was absolutely abysmal. As noted by others, the hard stop at infinity does seem to correspond to sharp focus at infinity correctly. However, this was only true in the centre, and the edges seemed not just unsharp, but completely out of focus at wider apertures.

I suspect this is due to the inward field curvature towards the edges as described in this review, such that a hard stop for infinity
...Show more

There's a bit of field curvature at infinity, but the performance on the copy I reviewed is still pretty solid.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1813648/0#16275372

Feb 06, 2024 at 11:27 PM
Walter H

p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

@Fred Miranda (or anyone else who might know) could you say a bit more about the relative lack of coma correction's relationship to other preferred rendering characteristics the lens offers? Or, when more modern designs correct for coma, what is lost/compromised that remains present in this lens? (I hope I am paraphrasing some of what you have stated in your review and commentary correctly.)

I just picked one up and my initial impressions vs the Fuji 27mm are "ohhh. well then..." in a rather pleased sort of way.

I will be making images with purpose this weekend.

Feb 08, 2024 at 06:32 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Here is the Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount alongside the recently launched Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount.
They appear very similar in appearance, with nearly identical barrel weight and size, despite their differing focal lengths and optical designs.

28mm and 40mm full frame equivalent

Feb 13, 2024 at 06:46 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.