New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

Travel with lens hoods or not

Timkr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Travel with lens hoods or not

I use the Zemlin short hoods along with their lens caps. Easy to travel with and great protection

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:48 AM
cantwellian
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Hoods on everything all the time, no matter where you are!!!

Jan 15, 2024 at 02:21 PM
Gorillaphant

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Travel with lens hoods or not

At least for the E mount lenses I've used, the lens hoods never felt like they added much weight or took up much additional size (pretty much all small lenses to begin with, though). I'd say take the hood if you can afford the space.

Jan 24, 2024 at 07:22 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Generally not.

Jan 24, 2024 at 08:46 PM
robstein
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Travel with lens hoods or not

I always use hoods but I often buy the metal screw in alternatives that are shorter and put a lens cap on the end of the metal hood.

Feb 03, 2024 at 03:12 PM
magranch

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Interesting some do, some don't. Travel with gear in carry on, no. I am going to give Lens Coat Travel Hood a try for 200-400mm and 600mmm.

Feb 20, 2024 at 07:24 PM
PSBaxter
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Use them sometimes. What I do may not be the best, but it works for me.

I use a polarizer a lot. My setup for is both for protection and ease of filter use, I use larger magnetic filter adapter rings on my lenses, and have a magnetic lens cap for each lens. No reason to not put the cap on when moving between shots. If I am going far, I put the camera in the bag which is the best protection available. I know that's not feasible in all shooting situations, but I primarily shoot landscapes on a tripod and I like to take my time, anyway. I can usually shade the lens with my hat if needed.

If I am going on a trip where I take a more limited lens selection, and will be walking around with the camera out of the bag a lot, such as on a vacation or at an event, I will take the hoods, especially if I do not plan on using filters. In that case the lens has a clear protection filter on it along with the normal lens cap as well as the hood.

I found a great use for one of the lens pouches Canon supplies with their lenses. It holds all of my lens hoods in the equipment cabinet where they stay most of the time. I can also throw the pouch in a suitcase when travelling or in the car if I think I might need them at some point.

Feb 23, 2024 at 05:52 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Take them and use them. The added protection against flare and inadverant bumping a lens front is worth it.
Taking and reversing is as foolish as wearing a baseball hat backwards all the time.

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:23 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Took all lens hoods to Mexico. Just yesterday walking down a very narrow sidewalk in SAN Miguel I was bumped from the side which caused my camera to hit the concrete building…lens hood took the hit. The hoods have saved me on many occasions. Never leave home without them.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Always use them - primarily for the same reason chez mentioned above. They have saved a lens on more than one occasion.

Feb 25, 2024 at 03:19 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Travel with lens hoods or not

I've got to admit I've never used a lens hood. Low profile and quick and easy lens swaps are important to me. I use my hand to shade the lens if I see flare in the viewfinder. I very seldom have my camera outside its case when I'm not immediately shooting. I use high quality UV or clear filters for protection. I've probably heard every argument concerning hoods and filters and this is what I do.

I will bow to Chez's experience level, though. He's been here on FM three days longer than I have!

Mar 02, 2024 at 01:22 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Very similar to how I shoot. FWIW.

sandycrane wrote:
I've got to admit I've never used a lens hood. Low profile and quick and easy lens swaps are important to me. I use my hand to shade the lens if I see flare in the viewfinder. I very seldom have my camera outside its case when I'm not immediately shooting. I use high quality UV or clear filters for protection. I've probably heard every argument concerning hoods and filters and this is what I do.

I will bow to Chez's experience level, though. He's been here on FM three days longer than I have!

Mar 02, 2024 at 04:14 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Not used hoods since going to magnetic filters and caps on anything shorter than about 100mm. Generally, a small piece of card is a better option for flare control, especially on zooms where the hoods are basically useless. The Magnetic caps offer better protection for bumps and knocks and are effortless to get off. I have a magnetic clear filter for dust/sand/spray. It's not like petal hoods actually protect from those anyway.

I still have the hood for long lenses because they make it easy to put the camera face down when you want to rest. They're also semi efficient in terms of flare and rain protection. Plus, I'm not using filters on the front of a long fixed tele. They tend to be more efficient reversed on the lens as well.

Gordon

Mar 06, 2024 at 04:51 PM
Vaarea

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Travel with lens hoods or not

If space is tight, I would drop the hoods and take filters. You can always use your hand to shade the lens.

Mar 06, 2024 at 09:11 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Vaarea wrote:
If space is tight, I would drop the hoods and take filters. You can always use your hand to shade the lens.

If the space is tight…leave a lens at home or get a bigger bag.

Mar 06, 2024 at 09:34 PM
AeroPhoto
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Travel with lens hoods or not

If you determine the angle of protection from Sun, you'll see it's small. I'm referring to the difference in azimuth angle where the Sun strikes the lens with and without a hood. Or you can substitute altitude angle above.

My take is that small angle is the only time a hood is worthwhile. The angle is so small that I don't use hoods.

Mar 07, 2024 at 12:19 AM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Travel with lens hoods or not

I always carry the hood and use it. If a lens don't come with an hood, I buy one.

It helps me on several levels.

Mar 11, 2024 at 03:21 PM
kattz
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Travel with lens hoods or not

My grandfather was a photographer for Nat Geo in the late 50's to early 60's.

He never went anywhere without a handheld meter, a METAL hood, and a skylight 1/2A filter on any camera, be it a Nikkormat, Rolleicord, Zenza Bronica, Leica, or Nikon F.

In his opinion, the hood was there to protect the lens in the field. He always said, "If you know what you're doing, flare is never an issue."

I pack all the hoods as nested as possible into each other and into their own pocket in the bag.

Mar 27, 2024 at 08:19 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.