New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Travel with lens hoods or not

hpfish10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel with lens hoods or not

I will visit Glacier NP and plan to bring 2 bodies and 4 lenses (Sony 16-35,100-400, Fuji GF20-35 and 35-70). I debate if I should bring lens hoods or not since they are bulky and take up spaces in my carry on. Do you bring lens hood for each of your lenses on a photo trip?

Jun 06, 2023 at 11:22 PM
liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Always. I simply reverse them.

Jun 07, 2023 at 12:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel with lens hoods or not

+1

Jun 07, 2023 at 05:00 AM
Twells
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Hoods are indispensable for me. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere without them.

Jun 07, 2023 at 07:35 AM
cseelye
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel with lens hoods or not

+1 for taking and using the hoods.
For me, hoods are as an important part of the equipment as anything else. Only in very flat lighting conditions do I consider leaving the hood in the bag. Giving up a little extra space and weight in the bag is always better than giving up flare and or reduced contrast in the image. Just as I always use a remote release instead of the built in timer (to precisely control the moment of exposure as much as to eliminate vibration) A lens hood is just part of the necessary equipment to maximize image quality.
-Chris

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:47 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel with lens hoods or not

The concern I would have is why one would ever think to not bring and use the hood.

Jun 07, 2023 at 01:46 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Lens hoods are non-negotiable!

Jun 07, 2023 at 01:47 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Check out Flex Lens Shade. A very good adjustable shade that will work with almost any lens. They also made a smaller version for smaller lenses but I donít know if it is still available. Iíve used mine on lenses ranging from 24mm to 600mm.

Jun 07, 2023 at 02:49 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Always!

Jun 07, 2023 at 11:50 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Always. Without a doubt. No hesitation. Especially for Glacier NP. Would you travel without clean underwear? Always.

Jun 08, 2023 at 07:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vbnut
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Always use hoods. I'm a bit upset that I seem to have lost the hood of my EF-S 10-22. That one is a pain to travel with because it is so much bigger in diameter than the lens that it won't fit anywhere. I suspect I may have accidentally left it in a rental car because of that.

More importantly, hoods on the big telephoto lenses make the lens look 50% bigger. How else are you going to get people walking by to say "wow, that's an impressive lens"

Jun 08, 2023 at 10:55 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Travel with lens hoods or not

I always bring mine. I had a new lens and was walking down the street in another country and there was a metal remnant of something coming out of the sidewalk-- I did not see. I tripped and fell and my hood saved my lens. I had to buy a new hood for 75 dollars but my lens was unscathed.

Jun 08, 2023 at 11:36 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Travel with lens hoods or not

A similar thing happened to me. I was on a garage rooftop finding an angle on a night shot in Austin, looking ahead instead of down, and stepped off a curb and fell forward, my arm and knee scathed, but the hood on my 14-35 lens protected the glass and camera. Use a hood? Always.

Jun 09, 2023 at 09:22 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Travel with lens hoods or not

I almost never carry hoods, they add bulk and make camera look really big ( especially in lenses like 70-200 )
But I almost always use POLARIZER and with a hood my filter get very dirty with my fingers because is more difficult to rotate

Do you also use hoods with polarizer ? I really like to cut reflections from the trees and make blue water really pop with CPL but I guess I should make more test using CPL with a hood...

Jun 09, 2023 at 09:44 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Travel with lens hoods or not

If I'm using a tripod and a cable release, sometimes I'll shade the lens with my hat rather than a lens hood.

Jun 09, 2023 at 09:46 AM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Sounds like I'm going to be the contrarian thus far, especially for when we fly somewhere as we tend to do "carry-on" only. I only bring them for telephotos or telephoto zooms, mainly for added stray light protection. I don't think they do too much for the shorter focal length zooms, or the wide to tele zooms, where they have to work for the shortest focal length, and not much for the longer lengths. The hoods for the wides also tend to eat up the most diameter relative to the lens. I don't really consider them for physical gear protection (knock on wood) other than perhaps if I'm shooting in light rain or snow to keep the elements off the glass.

I don't know the flare tendencies of your lenses, but I would suppose something for the 100-400 would be good to bring along.

If I'm driving, then the hoods always come along. I have to confess, however, that due to the practices for when I fly, there are many times the hoods still don't make in onto the lens even when I drive :-). As for hiking with them (Like I assume you might be doing in Glacier NP), I don't like the extra bulk; they definitely impact the space in the bag.

Enjoy Glacier!

Jun 09, 2023 at 09:55 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Examining my hoods I see scrapes and dings on all of themÖwonder where those scrapes and dings would have ended up if the hood was not on the lens. Carrying cameras around tight locations where building are made of stone, it is very easy to bump the camera against the stone possibly resulting with a scratched lens.

I always have hoods attached to my lensesÖonly time I donít is when Iím using a polarizer.

Jun 09, 2023 at 10:08 AM
qpalzm

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Travel with lens hoods or not

Yep. They don't take much space when stored in reverse and flip them when actively shooting. Added protection is a nice bonus

Jun 09, 2023 at 10:14 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Travel with lens hoods or not

qpalzm wrote:
Yep. They don't take much space when stored in reverse and flip them when actively shooting. Added protection is a nice bonus

In my case if I fill up Internal core unit very tight with lenses and other things, hoods in reverse simply don't fit anymore. Is just not enough space. I rather carry extra lens

Jun 09, 2023 at 10:23 AM
carlosmcse
• •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Travel with lens hoods or not

I have 2 lenses. One has a built in hood and the other one the hood fits in the palm of my hand. So itís just in the bag in one of the pockets. I almost never use them.

Jun 10, 2023 at 10:03 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.