New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

What color profile in Lightroom?

allstarimaging
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What color profile in Lightroom?

First time with a Sony setup (A7rv). For landscape/seascape etc what is your preferred color profile you start with when editing in Lightroom?

Jun 06, 2023 at 06:44 PM
Grenache
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What color profile in Lightroom?

Cobalt - Fuji GFX100 Nostalgic Negative

Jun 06, 2023 at 10:14 PM
RT--
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What color profile in Lightroom?

Cobalt Neutral.

If you only have the default profiles, I'd try Camera Standard or Adobe Standard.

Jun 07, 2023 at 02:49 AM
rob_ww
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What color profile in Lightroom?

Another vote for Cobalt -- often very little different from Adobe Camera Standard but sometimes quite helpful in providing a better starting point. I use it as the default.

Jun 07, 2023 at 05:20 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What color profile in Lightroom?

I use LR Classic's "Adobe Color", adding my personal adjustments and enhancements to color, contrast, and exposure.

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:02 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What color profile in Lightroom?

Gunzorro wrote:
I use LR Classic's "Adobe Color", adding my personal adjustments and enhancements to color, contrast, and exposure.

That’s what I am using/doing, too and I am perfectly fine with that setting.

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:05 AM
Dultimate
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What color profile in Lightroom?

Is this a free profile? How can we get it?

Thanks

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:15 AM
chad hites
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What color profile in Lightroom?

I too am a fan of the Cobalt profiles. I use Cobalt Standard as my my primary starting point however Adobe Color is the RAW built in profile and it is not bad. I really like the new Cobalt Fuji 4.0 pack when I want a specific look.

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:31 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What color profile in Lightroom?

allstarimaging wrote:
First time with a Sony setup (A7rv). For landscape/seascape etc what is your preferred colour profile you start with when editing in Lightroom?

For landscape and seascape shots, I use Adobe Landscape about 90% of the time, and Adobe Color the other 10% of the time.

With older Sony cameras, I used Camera Landscape the majority of the time, but unfortunately Sony did away with this option with their latest cameras, and I don't like any of the new Sony colour profiles.

Jun 07, 2023 at 09:20 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What color profile in Lightroom?

allstarimaging wrote:
First time with a Sony setup (A7rv). For landscape/seascape etc what is your preferred color profile you start with when editing in Lightroom?

I switch between starting out with Adobe Color and Camera Matching usually Camera NT. Just depends on what I see and what I want to do with the photo.

Jun 07, 2023 at 09:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What color profile in Lightroom?

Dultimate wrote:
Is this a free profile? How can we get it?

Thanks

It is one of the choices included in LR/LR Classic.

Jun 07, 2023 at 09:38 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What color profile in Lightroom?

AGeoJO wrote:
That’s what I am using/doing, too and I am perfectly fine with that setting.

I also have my default profile set to 'Adobe Color'. Sometimes, content dependent, I'll invoke 'Adobe Vivid'.

Jun 07, 2023 at 09:58 AM
doc4x5
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What color profile in Lightroom?

All these settings, useful as they may be, are arbitrary. You pick what looks "right" to you. Usually you do not have the original scene handy to compare the colors unless you're working in the studio.

I have opted for "accuracy" by using the Color Checker Passport and generating a profile for my specific camera and somewhat generic lighting conditions. It's not expensive, allows a white balance setting and takes very little time. I can then change anything I like and have a base reference. I'm not saying it's superior, just that it's a common baseline. YMMV

Jun 07, 2023 at 01:52 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What color profile in Lightroom?

https://www.colorfidelity.com/

Jun 07, 2023 at 02:16 PM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What color profile in Lightroom?

Appreciate the replies. I was finding that my images had a not great blue cast to them. Not due to white balance. Just wasn’t liking the blues.

Jun 08, 2023 at 09:32 AM
twodees
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What color profile in Lightroom?

I have in-camera (a1/a7r5) set to camera standard and CRAW the same when it first opens an image. Call it a starting point.

Jun 08, 2023 at 09:54 AM
rob_ww
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What color profile in Lightroom?

"Is this a free profile? How can we get it?"

If you mean the Cobalt profiles, you do have to pay for them (not much though). They have quite a range of interesting profiles as well as base 'standard' per camera.

Jun 09, 2023 at 05:10 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What color profile in Lightroom?

None of the above if you want processing flexibility. Start with a linear profile. You can easily make one for your camera or download one for free. This will give you a very flat starting point (as you’re not getting a tone curve cooked in) and flexibility in post.

Jun 09, 2023 at 11:08 AM
Blueshound
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What color profile in Lightroom?

A variation on the above is to use Camera Neutral in ACR or Lightroom. It's a less contrasty, less saturated starting point, and allows more latitude for building a final look in post.

I switched to this after returning from Pais with interior shots of the Musee d'Orsay, only to find that neither Camera Standard nor Adobe Color made it simple to achieve colors that were true to actual.

Brian

Jun 09, 2023 at 11:32 AM
VetraLens
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What color profile in Lightroom?

Posting to follow this thread.

I tend to use Adobe Color for most situations, occasionally using Adobe Portrait or Standard for people photos.

A lot of my work is nightscapes, and in those cases I have found that Adobe Vivid gives me a nice little "pop" without being over-the-top.

But I'm interested in other possibilities. Cobalt intrigued me when it gained a lot of traction here last year, but it's still just a little too pricey for me.

Jun 09, 2023 at 12:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.