New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

More David Lindley

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More David Lindley

I finally got around to scanning a few more images of Mr. Dave from the files. Included here is his bouzouki and some Turkish instruments that appear to be in the saz family plus a couple of never seen before images.

Jun 05, 2023 at 07:35 PM
bcguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More David Lindley

He was a real talent and a great subject for you! I've been watching YouTube videos of his live performances since his passing, and I think he was amazing.

Jun 09, 2023 at 02:19 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More David Lindley

bcguy wrote:
He was a real talent and a great subject for you! I've been watching YouTube videos of his live performances since his passing, and I think he was amazing.

One of the best live performers I've seen. Saw him play a solo show at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica, Ca., one of the premiere folk clubs in the country and he was great and the only person who openly hawked Jolt from the stage as he was drinking it. Twice the sugar and double the caffeine, or something like that, is what fueled Lindley on stage.

Jun 09, 2023 at 04:16 PM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More David Lindley

Wonderful set. He was indeed amazing and you are not too shabby for capturing images of him like these. Well done.

Jun 09, 2023 at 04:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More David Lindley

RKnecht wrote:
Wonderful set. He was indeed amazing and you are not too shabby for capturing images of him like these. Well done.

Thanks. There is another thread that I posted soon after his death. We were at his home near Pomona, Ca. for these so we had access to his full collection of polyester shirts (to honor Lightnin' Hopkins) and all of his weird and wonderful instruments. I reached out to him about ten years ago, found his email somewhere and sent him a set of jpegs and hoped that we might get together for more photos at some point but that never happened.

Jun 09, 2023 at 06:47 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More David Lindley

Fantastic compositions Peter!
His loss will be felt in the Music world!

Again great compositions Peter!
Dan

Jun 10, 2023 at 10:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More David Lindley

Danpbphoto wrote:
Fantastic compositions Peter!
His loss will be felt in the Music world!

Again great compositions Peter!
Dan

As a musician yourself, I know you get it. I've seen more long term outpouring of sentiment for his passing than most others recently, except, y'know, Prine.

Jun 11, 2023 at 02:43 AM
StoneCrop
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More David Lindley

Lindley is the dude! Great photos.
Regarding the instruments, it looks like a 4-course greek bouzouki, similar to saz in body shape but with regularly spaced frets and thus able to be played like a guitar or mandolin or whatever is more familiar. I have had a couple of greek bouzoukis at different times, now sold, but I kept my little greek baglama, which is like a miniature version of what he's playing.
And that looks like a hardanger fiddle, or viola d'amore… note the extra 4 strings which go under the fingerboard and resonate harmonically like a sitar's extra strings…

Jun 11, 2023 at 03:14 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More David Lindley

StoneCrop wrote:
Lindley is the dude! Great photos.
Regarding the instruments, it looks like a 4-course greek bouzouki, similar to saz in body shape but with regularly spaced frets and thus able to be played like a guitar or mandolin or whatever is more familiar. I have had a couple of greek bouzoukis at different times, now sold, but I kept my little greek baglama, which is like a miniature version of what he's playing.
And that looks like a hardanger fiddle, or viola d'amore… note the extra 4 strings which go under the fingerboard and resonate harmonically like a sitar's extra strings…

Yes, that's a hardingfele, the Norwegian fiddle with the sympathetic strings under the fingerboard. The Wiki on the hardanger is quite interesting.

Jun 11, 2023 at 08:26 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More David Lindley

Peter Figen wrote:
As a musician yourself, I know you get it. I've seen more long term outpouring of sentiment for his passing than most others recently, except, y'know, Prine.

I am sorry to say Peter that one shows his age by those we listen to , played like and admired are forming a "band" somewhere we are not yet there. But his music is immortal!
Thanks!
Dan

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:10 AM
jrrhodes
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More David Lindley

Beautiful shots!
He was such an amazing talent.

J.R.

Jun 14, 2023 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.