Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Super resolution for astro anyone?

Cduff406

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Super resolution for astro anyone?

Just curious if anyone has tried the new 400mp super resolution setting that was recently released for astrophotography yet? The weather and my schedule haven't lined up yet for me to give it a try. Anyone have any experience with it yet?

Jun 03, 2023 at 03:36 PM
MattAxel

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Super resolution for astro anyone?

Haven't tried it, but apparently it can only produce jpeg images, so not ideal at all for astro.

Jun 06, 2023 at 01:20 AM
kirbic

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Super resolution for astro anyone?

Given that even for landscape the advantage is minimal, and given the JPEG limitation, I would not use it for astro work.

Jun 06, 2023 at 08:15 AM
MattAxel

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Super resolution for astro anyone?

It's essentially an auto-mosaic feature, but I think they've tried to get too fancy by stitching the images in camera. I think it would have been more practical and usable if it kept each of the 9 frames as sperate RAW files to be stitched in post.

Jun 07, 2023 at 02:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Super resolution for astro anyone?

I'm all for more resolution, but if I need to shoot 9 frames for every panel of a night pano, I'd never finish an image before the sun came up. The foreground would be excruciatingly slow, and I'm guessing that star movement will mess up the compositing algorithm, since either the stars or the landscape (if using a tracker) are moving. Forcing the output to JPG is a non-starter, but it sounds like Canon may be working on that for a future firmware update.

We need a 5Ds replacement, not technologic fakery. If they wanted to give us some technological improvement, they could make focus-stacking usable in the field (e.g. be able to set your distance points manually for multiple pictures, and shoot each set of distances sequentially and automatically, like shooting multiple HDR sequences). They could also remove most of the video capabilities of the R5, and leave all that for the R5c.

Speaking of video, and this is a rant, Canon should make the time-lapse feature usable; the current approach of working through a buried menu (on the VIDEO side!) that is obtuse and asinine is... well, asinine.

Jun 07, 2023 at 07:53 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Super resolution for astro anyone?

The R1 will solve all these issues, more resolution than the R5, but gasp, it will still have integrated firmware for video and stills, as there is no savings to Canon by just turning off all video menu items and removing the record button, and then hope sales for an R1C will make up for the dual assembly/software branching.

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:32 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Super resolution for astro anyone?

TeamSpeed wrote:
The R1 will solve all these issues, more resolution than the R5, but gasp, it will still have integrated firmware for video and stills, as there is no savings to Canon by just turning off all video menu items and removing the record button, and then hope sales for an R1C will make up for the dual assembly/software branching.

What R1?

Jun 14, 2023 at 09:17 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Super resolution for astro anyone?

The one in development…

Jun 14, 2023 at 04:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.