Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

BritBadger

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

I’m off to Africa soon and expect the conditions to be fairly to very dusty. Where I live a puff or to with a rocket blower is all I need to keep my lenses reasonably clear, so I can’t remember when I last cleaned them.

Has anyone got some advice on cleaning lens fronts if conditions get so bad the rocket blower is not enough?

I use Zeiss Lens Wipes for my glasses and they work very well but am very reluctant to use them on my photographic lenses without more expert advice. There is just so much contradictory stuff out there on the net,

BritBadger

Jun 02, 2023 at 07:21 AM
Cnyphotoguy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

I've been using these periodically between regular rocket blower usage. Thought I'd be hesitant on just smearing/grinding particles depending on what you mean by the blower isn't enough.

Jun 02, 2023 at 07:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

I'd also take a soft brush. My favourite is a Revlon makeup brush that retracts into it's handle. Add the cover, and it's a small, well-sealed cylinder.

Jun 02, 2023 at 07:57 AM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

I use a Rocket Blower first. Then if there is a stubborn piece of dust I use a soft blower brush. Water spots and the very rare finger print? I will use a wet Zeiss Lens wipe. I also use the wipes to get dust and dirt off the camera and lens bodies.

Jun 02, 2023 at 08:50 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

BritBadger wrote:
I’m off to Africa soon and expect the conditions to be fairly to very dusty. Where I live a puff or to with a rocket blower is all I need to keep my lenses reasonably clear, so I can’t remember when I last cleaned them.

Has anyone got some advice on cleaning lens fronts if conditions get so bad the rocket blower is not enough?

I use Zeiss Lens Wipes for my glasses and they work very well but am very reluctant to use them on my photographic lenses without more expert advice. There is just so much contradictory stuff out
...Show more

I bring several items to Africa including a blower (not the rocket), lens brush/lenspen combo, lens tissues, microfiber cloths, ROR, and also the Zeiss lens wipes. I blow the lenses a few times per day to prevent accumulation. Larger lenses like 600/4 and 500/4 have deeper hoods and don't accumulate as much, but I still wet clean them as needed if blowing is not enough.

EBH

Jun 02, 2023 at 10:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BritBadger

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

Thank you one and all, it looks as if the Zeiss Lens Wipes are used, with care and when blower and brush don't work, by several of you. So on my kit list they go.

What a great place this is with some great people!
BritBadger

Jun 03, 2023 at 06:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

Also, if you get some really stubborn marks on the front element (e.g. dried water drops), then the go-to solution (pun) is ROR (resdual oil remover). It'll free-up just about anything. You might need an alcohol wipe for a final swipe, but ROR does wonders.

Jun 03, 2023 at 07:33 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

Blow or brush as much loose debris off the glass as possible before wet cleaning.

Only use a wet wipe one time in one direction. If the wipe picks up something abrasive, you don't want to keep pushing it around.

Occasionally I use Zeiss pre-packed wet "Lens Wipes" while out in the world. Normally I spray Zeiss liquid "Lens Cleaner" on Kimwipes for regular cleanings. Both are totally safe on coatings.

Jun 03, 2023 at 02:23 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss lens wipes for camera lenses?

Cnyphotoguy wrote:
I've been using these periodically between regular rocket blower usage. Thought I'd be hesitant on just smearing/grinding particles depending on what you mean by the blower isn't enough.

Check Sam's Club and Costco as they are usually cheaper than amazon

Jun 03, 2023 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.