end

Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

GreenRay wrote:
Jim is totally on point. I would add:

1. Autofocus is not an issue if you are using a mirrorless camera as far as I know. It can be an issue with DSLRs and film cameras, without infrared focusing markers.

2. Nothing to add.

3. Capture One (I use an older version) has a white balance slider that starts -- I think -- at 100 or maybe even 0. Sorry I am not looking at it right now. But it can handle IR white balance easily like you are editing any other photo, and then you can edit further, if you want, in
...Show more

Many thanks "GR"! Most insightful and helpful! Appreciate you taking the time for such a detailed reponse and not "blowing me off" like some do to members.
Again THANKS!
Dan

Feb 14, 2024 at 09:25 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

I have used both film and digital for IR photography. Both have their pros and cons. What I like with B&W IR film is that PP is very simple and does not require much - no specific sliders to use, no WB adjustment, just maybe a bit tweaking the contrast/highlight curve. Best IR film I have experienc ed so far is the Rollei 400 IR film, I am not a big fan of the Ilford SFX 200 IR film which is not as IR sensitive and more grainy. I found the Rollei film much harder to have available for purchase.

Rollei 400 IR film, +1 stop overexposed, developed with Rodinal

Feb 14, 2024 at 02:41 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

retrofocus wrote:
I have used both film and digital for IR photography. Both have their pros and cons. What I like with B&W IR film is that PP is very simple and does not require much - no specific sliders to use, no WB adjustment, just maybe a bit tweaking the contrast/highlight curve. Best IR film I have experienc ed so far is the Rollei 400 IR film, I am not a big fan of the Ilford SFX 200 IR film which is not as IR sensitive and more grainy. I found the Rollei film much harder to have available for purchase.
...Show more
Oh no doubt "rf"! There is always some "give" in the latest technology or retro- film...it goes with the ":territory". The outcome belays the hassles!

Feb 16, 2024 at 01:17 PM
spyderphil
• •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Another from New Orleans. Sony A7R w/830NM filter and 16-35mm Zeiss.

Feb 19, 2024 at 08:14 PM
spyderphil
• •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Albert Docks, Liverpool

Feb 19, 2024 at 08:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Yesterday with the 5DmkII-IR and the 24mm f2.8 ais down by the river.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:45 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Couple of years ago.

cloud and brancheds

NIKON D700    48mm    f/5.0    1/1250s    200 ISO    +1.3 EV  

Clouds

NIKON D700    32mm    f/4.2    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 20, 2024 at 03:43 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Couple days ago with the 665nm converted Canon 5DmkII and a Nikkor 24mm f2.8 ais. This is an 8 image stitch of the flooded forest floor. The river is running parallel to the railing on the left side of the image, and has gone under the walkway into the forest.

Feb 21, 2024 at 07:34 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

This is Paw Paw Park in Holland shot with a 665nm converted Canon 5D using a Nikon f-mount 17mm f3.5 Tokina ai. I normally do not keep the color infrared images - preferring just the black and white ones. However, I sometimes can not decide which I like better - color or B&W - today it's color.

Feb 23, 2024 at 02:41 PM
1       2       3              5      
       end

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.