7       end

Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

GreenRay wrote:
Jim is totally on point. I would add:

1. Autofocus is not an issue if you are using a mirrorless camera as far as I know. It can be an issue with DSLRs and film cameras, without infrared focusing markers.

2. Nothing to add.

3. Capture One (I use an older version) has a white balance slider that starts -- I think -- at 100 or maybe even 0. Sorry I am not looking at it right now. But it can handle IR white balance easily like you are editing any other photo, and then you can edit further, if you want, in
...Show more

Many thanks "GR"! Most insightful and helpful! Appreciate you taking the time for such a detailed reponse and not "blowing me off" like some do to members.
Again THANKS!
Dan

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:25 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

I have used both film and digital for IR photography. Both have their pros and cons. What I like with B&W IR film is that PP is very simple and does not require much - no specific sliders to use, no WB adjustment, just maybe a bit tweaking the contrast/highlight curve. Best IR film I have experienc ed so far is the Rollei 400 IR film, I am not a big fan of the Ilford SFX 200 IR film which is not as IR sensitive and more grainy. I found the Rollei film much harder to have available for purchase.

Rollei 400 IR film, +1 stop overexposed, developed with Rodinal

Feb 14, 2024 at 03:41 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

retrofocus wrote:
I have used both film and digital for IR photography. Both have their pros and cons. What I like with B&W IR film is that PP is very simple and does not require much - no specific sliders to use, no WB adjustment, just maybe a bit tweaking the contrast/highlight curve. Best IR film I have experienc ed so far is the Rollei 400 IR film, I am not a big fan of the Ilford SFX 200 IR film which is not as IR sensitive and more grainy. I found the Rollei film much harder to have available for purchase.
...Show more
Oh no doubt "rf"! There is always some "give" in the latest technology or retro- film...it goes with the ":territory". The outcome belays the hassles!

Feb 16, 2024 at 02:17 PM
spyderphil
• •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Another from New Orleans. Sony A7R w/830NM filter and 16-35mm Zeiss.

Feb 19, 2024 at 09:14 PM
spyderphil
• •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Albert Docks, Liverpool

Feb 19, 2024 at 09:34 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Yesterday with the 5DmkII-IR and the 24mm f2.8 ais down by the river.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Couple of years ago.

cloud and brancheds

NIKON D700    48mm    f/5.0    1/1250s    200 ISO    +1.3 EV  

Clouds

NIKON D700    32mm    f/4.2    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 20, 2024 at 04:43 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Couple days ago with the 665nm converted Canon 5DmkII and a Nikkor 24mm f2.8 ais. This is an 8 image stitch of the flooded forest floor. The river is running parallel to the railing on the left side of the image, and has gone under the walkway into the forest.

Feb 21, 2024 at 08:34 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

This is Paw Paw Park in Holland shot with a 665nm converted Canon 5D using a Nikon f-mount 17mm f3.5 Tokina ai. I normally do not keep the color infrared images - preferring just the black and white ones. However, I sometimes can not decide which I like better - color or B&W - today it's color.

Feb 23, 2024 at 03:41 PM
Massinissa

p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Fujifilm X-T20 850nm + XF 23f1.4 R

S bench by Massinissa Dalla Costa, on Flickr

Mar 06, 2024 at 02:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Harold Carlson
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before now. Here are some of my favs from 2023 when I was concentrating more on IR. This year not as much though but I'll include one of an interesting cloud.

Canon EOS M6    Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens    45mm    f/8.0    1/800s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

NIKON Z 7    -- mm f/-- lens    1/500s    200 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Canon EOS M6    Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens    19mm    f/8.0    1/640s    100 ISO    -1.3 EV  

NIKON Z 7    NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens    14mm    f/8.0    1/200s    64 ISO    +1.3 EV  

NIKON Z 7    NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens    21mm    f/8.0    1/40s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS M6    Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens    22mm    f/8.0    1/320s    400 ISO    -2.0 EV  

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:03 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Toned in Photoshop IR from mid February.

Canon 5DmkII-IR with the Nikkor 24mm f2.8 ais

Mar 13, 2024 at 09:16 AM
Harold Carlson
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

James Markus wrote:
Toned in Photoshop IR from mid February.

Canon 5DmkII-IR with the Nikkor 24mm f2.8 ais

I'd love to know how you find shooting IR with a DSLR. I'm actually thinking about going that direction as I am tired of dealing with the banding of the Z7 and I'm finding I like shooting with DSLRs more for some reason.

I got out and shot some local scenes today, just to get out and enjoy the evening. All were shot with my Nikon Z7 and 850nm filter.

NIKON Z 7    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens    66mm    f/8.0    1/125s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON Z 7    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED lens    24mm    f/8.0    1/100s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON Z 7    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens    70mm    f/8.0    1/50s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON Z 7    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens    52mm    f/8.0    1/250s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON Z 7    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens    62mm    f/8.0    1/200s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:01 PM
bnfotografie
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

wsbrown wrote:
One of my favorites, full spectrum converted D800 with a Hoya R72 filter (720nm), three panel stitch using a Rokinon 35mm 1.4.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52298614492_890a6b93e8_b.jpgZoar United Methodist by Stephen Brown, on Flickr

Impressive!
Cheers,
Brent

Mar 14, 2024 at 09:25 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Iíve done IIR with my Z6 and Hoya R72 filter and now on my IR converted Z50 and have never seen banding.

Mar 14, 2024 at 05:18 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Harold,

First off - all of your IR photos look great to me.

I enjoy using my two dslr's to shoot IR. The first go was with 720nm lens filters; which resulted in very long exposures due to the hot box still being in the camera to cancel or lessen IR from reaching the sensor. Then I got a converted 5D, but discovered that AF doesn't work properly in the IR band length - so I went with manual focus lenses. Then I had my 5DmkII converted by the same company, and the live view is instant + easy to use. Not only can I see focus , but exposure in real time. Usually I carry two cameras - visible light and IR. As to banding - the only time I encountered that was pushing a file too much for over or under exposure. It may also be possible to get banding imaging from jpgs (8-bit) - instead of raw (12-14bit depending on the camera)
Jim

Harold Carlson wrote:
I'd love to know how you find shooting IR with a DSLR. I'm actually thinking about going that direction as I am tired of dealing with the banding of the Z7 and I'm finding I like shooting with DSLRs more for some reason.

I got out and shot some local scenes today, just to get out and enjoy the evening. All were shot with my Nikon Z7 and 850nm filter.

Mar 14, 2024 at 06:44 PM
Harold Carlson
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

James Markus wrote:
Harold,

First off - all of your IR photos look great to me.

I enjoy using my two dslr's to shoot IR. The first go was with 720nm lens filters; which resulted in very long exposures due to the hot box still being in the camera to cancel or lessen IR from reaching the sensor. Then I got a converted 5D, but discovered that AF doesn't work properly in the IR band length - so I went with manual focus lenses. Then I had my 5DmkII converted by the same company, and the live view is instant + easy to use.
...Show more

Thanks much for the reply. The banding I speak of is from the phase-detect AF inherent in most newer cameras. Kolari talks about it some here: https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-infrared-photography-review/

I was curious if you used the viewfinder (contrast-detect AF) for focusing in IR but it doesn't sound like it and I have read a single lens generally needs to be tuned to a converted camera when it's converted.

I have enjoyed using an OVF so much these days but it sounds like it's not really plausible for IR.

To keep this thread on-topic, I'll post another Z7 image I took from last June.

NIKON Z 7    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens    32mm    f/10.0    1/30s    200 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:46 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

That's a beauty Harold!

I only tried AF lenses at the very beginning, and haven't used one for IR in two years. The only way I could be sure of focus with the 5D was to chimp shots, but with the 5DmkII I can see critical focus at 16x on the screen - as well as the exposure. I always intended to use many lenses - so I didn't get one lens focal length calibrated to the sensor. I got quite fixated on an old lens early on - the Nikkor-P.C 55mm f3.5 ai'd micro. It is a superb landscape lens, and can resolve fine details very well. However, I love wide lenses like 14mm all the way up on IR.

I've read the link, and only one person commenting called it "banding". I would call the horizontal, vertical, or both at the same time "crosshatch". I have run into that when I missed exposure and pushed the file too hard to try and get better highlights or shadows. When in doubt - I bracket exposure.

I will say something I noticed in that link - He missed focus on most of the examples. You have posted super 850nm photos - so you know your gear can produce excellent results. Maybe try bracketing some shots - like 3-5 different exposures under and over exposed. Your camera probably has an auto bracketing mode - see if the lines carry over in each frame. I've some brackets with, and the next frame nothing?
Jim

Harold Carlson wrote:
Thanks much for the reply. The banding I speak of is from the phase-detect AF inherent in most newer cameras. Kolari talks about it some here: https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-infrared-photography-review/

I was curious if you used the viewfinder (contrast-detect AF) for focusing in IR but it doesn't sound like it and I have read a single lens generally needs to be tuned to a converted camera when it's converted.

I have enjoyed using an OVF so much these days but it sounds like it's not really plausible for IR.

To keep this thread on-topic, I'll post another Z7 image I took from last
...Show more

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:35 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

A seven image stitch from the 5D 665nm using the Nikkor 20mm f2.8 ais, and processed to look like 830-850nm.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:03 AM
spyderphil
• •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

A couple from today with a Fuji X-T2 FS and Sigma 18-50mm with 830NM filter

Mar 15, 2024 at 07:39 PM
1       2       3              5      
       7       end

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.