1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Lightsearcher wrote:
I put an R72 filter on my Z7 + Voigtlander 21mm f1.4 trying to persuade myself I need to convert my D810 camera to IR.

30 seconds - f5.6 - ISO 160

https://marcelobarrera.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2967912578-6.jpg

5 seconds - f1.4 - ISO 160

https://marcelobarrera.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2967912622-6.jpg

2 seconds - f1.4 - ISO 160

https://marcelobarrera.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2967912580-6.jpg

Wonderful work Marcelo!
Ciao!
Dan

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:14 AM
grahamgibson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Danpbphoto wrote:
Oh my! These are beautiful Graham!
Love the forests!
All well done!
Dan

Thanks, Dan! I have more images posted in a flickr album here as I've continued to experiment with filters, WB, and color settings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/albums/72157715236202693

Nov 27, 2023 at 01:19 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

grahamgibson wrote:
Thanks, Dan! I have more images posted in a flickr album here as I've continued to experiment with filters, WB, and color settings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/albums/72157715236202693

Very interesting photography Graham!
I love what the color spectrum IR takes. Provides for some very interesting images!
Well done on all!
Dan

Nov 27, 2023 at 03:29 PM
Massinissa

p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Fujifilm X-E3 full spectrum + 23f1.4R Mk1 + B+W093 IR filter

Infrared reflections by Massinissa Dalla Costa, on Flickr

Dec 01, 2023 at 04:04 PM
chnops

p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

I'd love to learn how your GR II was converted. Thinking of resurrecting my GR I.

Dec 05, 2023 at 04:13 PM
ATPphoto
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

chnops wrote:
I'd love to learn how your GR II was converted. Thinking of resurrecting my GR I.

I've been sending all my cameras for IR conversion to Isaac Szabo for a few years now.
He's honest and does a great job. Highly recommended.
https://www.isaacszabo.com/contact.html

Dec 05, 2023 at 04:15 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

I also used Issac Cszabo to convert my Nikon Z50. Very fast turn around and very affordable.

Dec 06, 2023 at 01:35 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

665 nm converted Canon 5D with a Nikkor 28mm f2.8 ais 10 vertical image stitch

Dec 11, 2023 at 03:49 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

IR converted 5DmkII with the Nikkor 16mm f3.5 ai fisheye lens

Dec 19, 2023 at 09:06 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

I usually do landscapes with infrared, because other subjects can appear too odd. I have had people's iris go black, or sometimes white - which can look creepy. However, I have two gray fur cats that it seemed work for IR

5D-IR with Nikkor 35mm f1.4 ais

Phoebe

Charlie

Dec 19, 2023 at 09:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gabe13
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Really great stuff from all the IR enthusiasts I have a lot of IR files to process and go through from several trips taken the last half of last year. Life has given me some distractions the past few months but I'm slowly getting a bit of time back.

I'd like to keep the ball rolling with a couple

Out of camera jpg
Utah somewhere in IR by Gabe D., on Flickr

Raw processed
A burning White Sands bush by Gabe D., on Flickr

Both taken with my XT-2 IR converted body + Voigtlander Ultron 27mm F2

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:36 PM
Myrhhine

p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

ATPphoto wrote:
I've been sending all my cameras for IR conversion to Isaac Szabo for a few years now.
He's honest and does a great job. Highly recommended.
https://www.isaacszabo.com/contact.html

Thanks for sharing, great to have a recommendation of where to go.

Feb 12, 2024 at 04:35 PM
GreenRay

p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

ATPphoto wrote:

Wow you get closer to hie kodak infrared than anyone I have ever see with digital converted cameras. May I ask how you get that halation look? Sooooo nice!

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:16 AM
ATPphoto
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

GreenRay wrote:
Wow you get closer to hie kodak infrared than anyone I have ever see with digital converted cameras. May I ask how you get that halation look? Sooooo nice!

Thanks.
In Lightroom, I open the RAW file in Exposure X7. It has a lot of IR-friendly sliders that you can use to create presets with. I have about 10 presets for IR, and I'll adjust a preset as needed.
But you're correct, my goal was to emulate HIE as much as possible.

Feb 13, 2024 at 09:30 AM
GreenRay

p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

ATPphoto wrote:
Thanks.
In Lightroom, I open the RAW file in Exposure X7. It has a lot of IR-friendly sliders that you can use to create presets with. I have about 10 presets for IR, and I'll adjust a preset as needed.

You really do a fabulous job. Love your IR!

I have never heard of Exposure X7. Must look up now.

I am so glad you started this thread. Cheers!

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:17 AM
ATPphoto
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

You're very welcome.
Similar effects can be had with Dx0 software, as well as ON1, but I like the X7 interface.
Good luck!

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:20 AM
GreenRay

p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

ATPphoto wrote:
Thanks.

Tried to use it with Capture One and it works! Capture One, Photoshop and then this is perfect for editing IR! I stick with Capture One because it has a white balance slider that is IR friendly.

I just played around with 2 files. It is really great with 720nm and 850nm. I am not sure I am going to use it with color IR. But I will see. Really thank you for the tip! I will post something here I edited with once I get the hand of E X7.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:02 PM
GreenRay

p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

spyderphil wrote:
The following 2 photos are the RAW processed and JPG in camera. Check out the banding in the latter. Shot on a Fuji XT2 720NM.

Really beautiful cloud capture!

Feb 13, 2024 at 07:49 PM
ATPphoto
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

GreenRay wrote:
Tried to use it with Capture One and it works! Capture One, Photoshop and then this is perfect for editing IR! I stick with Capture One because it has a white balance slider that is IR friendly.

I just played around with 2 files. It is really great with 720nm and 850nm. I am not sure I am going to use it with color IR. But I will see. Really thank you for the tip! I will post something here I edited with once I get the hand of E X7.

Yes, please. Post your results, and let me know how you're getting on with X7.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:47 PM
GreenRay

p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Infrared Thread - Digital or Film

Danpbphoto wrote:
Thanks for all the info Jim! Yes I realized it was lot more "involved" than just a filter. You, and others, make it look so easy IMHO..and I know it isn't.
My post processing skils are minimal at best but Adobe, and your advice, make it a bit more understandable Ps wise!
THANKS!
Dan

Jim is totally on point. I would add:

1. Autofocus is not an issue if you are using a mirrorless camera as far as I know. It can be an issue with DSLRs and film cameras, without infrared focusing markers.

2. Nothing to add.

3. Capture One (I use an older version) has a white balance slider that starts -- I think -- at 100 or maybe even 0. Sorry I am not looking at it right now. But it can handle IR white balance easily like you are editing any other photo, and then you can edit further, if you want, in Exposure X7, which I just discovered today thanks to the OP of this thread, or Photoshop, etc.

There really is no magic to IR. Editing color IR besides aerochrome can involve channel swapping and some playing around in alpha channels in photoshop but it is just a few steps extra steps. It really is simple after the first time. The first time for me was intimidating. But you might prefer to watch a tutorial rather than read a how to get a better handle on how this works. Up to you.

The filters I like the most require no channel swapping.

The hardest IR range to edit is 550nm to 590nm because white balance can be elusive at all stages of image development.

Aerochrome is in the same range at 550nm but easy. White balance is in the zone of any editor and no channel swapping necessary. Some cameras veer orange like mine does, some veer red with aerochrome.

Above 800nm you have basically entered a black and white world and in all editors I know of except Capture one the white balance slider won't be able to correct the white balance. The raw file will always be purple in all editors I know of except capture one. Of course you can just make it a black and white photo in other editors. I actually don't think you lose anything by doing it that way above 800nm.

Someone mentioned getting a cheap starter camera. I bought the cheapest digital one imaginable on ebay about 5 years ago. It is still working perfectly. I don't have an anti glare glass on my sensor but I don't feel I need a better one. I never have had an issue with a lens not focusing on it. If I were to get another one, I would get a full spectrum like the one I have but you might decide something else. I use aerochrome, the ha astrophotography filter, an 850 filter and then a filter that makes it possible to use it as a regular camera. Also drop in filters that can be placed between the lens and sensor are better than ones you can put on a lens because you can't go wider than 20mm in my experience than with a filter on a lens without the edges smearing and stretching. I deal with it. My camera isn't popular enough to have drop in filters.

Also I use a grey card to set white balance whenever the light shifts. It makes editing afterwards really easy in my opinion.

Hope my experience with digital IR helps you in some way. Cheers.

Feb 14, 2024 at 01:08 AM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.