New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

charley5
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

I really enjoy vintage (mid to late nineteenth century) photo processing. I decided to try to partly emulate the ambrotype. There are people using this technique in the modern day, and their results are fascinating -- although it is never a substitute for good photography skills and imagination. I took this image of a wrestling match in Northern India. India is great for trying out vintage techniques because it has a timeless quality.

-Charles

May 31, 2023 at 09:06 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

The tonality expressed here is exquisite.

May 31, 2023 at 02:51 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

Agreed, your toning is perfect.

I recently tried processing like this as well, but I also tried emulating the super shallow depth of field for ambrotypes. I can't quite get that depth of field affect right by attempting to mimic it in post processing, so next time I try I'll see if my 135mm lens set wide open will do the trick. Might have to get a ND filter.

https://i.imgur.com/gsJtzsp.jpg

May 31, 2023 at 11:59 PM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

Peter Figen wrote:
The tonality expressed here is exquisite.

Thanks, Peter. It was overcast, and the clouds functioned like a giant diffuser.

-Charles

Jun 02, 2023 at 05:45 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

DanielScott wrote:
Agreed, your toning is perfect.

I recently tried processing like this as well, but I also tried emulating the super shallow depth of field for ambrotypes. I can't quite get that depth of field affect right by attempting to mimic it in post processing, so next time I try I'll see if my 135mm lens set wide open will do the trick. Might have to get a ND filter.

https://i.imgur.com/gsJtzsp.jpg

Thanks, Dan. I find that vintage manual lenses yield backgrounds in a shallow DOF in a more pleasing way than modern cameras. That may be one solution.

-Charles

Jun 02, 2023 at 05:48 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

I’ve been helping a friend the last few years to do wet plate collodion in the tradional way, ie mixing the emulsion from scratch, coating and sensitizing the plate, and developing. Traditional wet plate emulsions are orthochromatic. Modern emulsions, and sensors are panchromatic. With wet plate Skin tones go very dark, some colors are not seen and go black.
Your image does not do any of this.

Jun 02, 2023 at 03:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

charley5
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

Norm Shapiro wrote:
I’ve been helping a friend the last few years to do wet plate collodion in the tradional way, ie mixing the emulsion from scratch, coating and sensitizing the plate, and developing. Traditional wet plate emulsions are orthochromatic. Modern emulsions, and sensors are panchromatic. With wet plate Skin tones go very dark, some colors are not seen and go black.
Your image does not do any of this.

Norm, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I was going for a vintage look and researched late nineteenth century images of India, my aim being to capture the timeless quality of the atmosphere there. Regarding what you are saying, I have in my computer several nineteenth century portraits (and landscapes) using the wet plate collodion method, and none seem to display the dark skin tones you are speaking about. Unlike my image, there is a very narrow dynamic range, however. Maybe they were digitally altered at some point? I don't know. But I appreciate your information nonetheless.

-Charles

Jun 02, 2023 at 11:53 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

One more thing on wet plate collodion photography. The emulsion speed is very slow, like ISO 1 or 2. So action photography was not possible. One reason why most old wet plate photographs have people looking so grim is that they had to hold still for several seconds. Some people doing wet plate work today are using very powerful strobes which allow movement.

Jun 03, 2023 at 02:45 PM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

Norm Shapiro wrote:
One more thing on wet plate collodion photography. The emulsion speed is very slow, like ISO 1 or 2. So action photography was not possible. One reason why most old wet plate photographs have people looking so grim is that they had to hold still for several seconds. Some people doing wet plate work today are using very powerful strobes which allow movement.

Norm, thank you. I enjoy getting such information from someone who has experienced the process directly.

-Charles

Jun 04, 2023 at 02:05 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

Fantastic tones Charles! Very unique...very creative!
I am amazed how sharp and crisp the image is. Well not really amazed because all your images are as such!
Again super job!
Dan

Jun 04, 2023 at 10:50 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

Danpbphoto wrote:
Fantastic tones Charles! Very unique...very creative!
I am amazed how sharp and crisp the image is. Well not really amazed because all your images are as such!
Again super job!
Dan

Thanks a bunch, Dan. I really appreciate it!

-Charles

Jun 04, 2023 at 11:46 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Faux Ambrotype (Wet-Plate Collodion) Method

johnmc21 wrote:
That's fantastic! Vintage photo processing can be a captivating way to bring a touch of nostalgia and artistry to your images. Emulating the ambrotype technique from the mid to late nineteenth century adds a unique aesthetic that captures the essence of that era.

Thanks a bunch, John. I tried to bring across the timeless atmosphere of India. Vintage seemed to be the way to go for that purpose!

-Charles

Jun 08, 2023 at 07:26 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.