New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Cosplay

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cosplay

Some photos I was recently hired to take for three very talented award-winning cosplayers, each of whom construct all of their costumes from start to finish. This includes using thermoplastics to create armor pieces, incorporating EVA foam, W+T Foam, foam clay, and sewing. This was a very last minute shoot and I only had a day to prepare, and the producer for the shoot had already decided on a rental studio so I was limited to what was available to me there for lighting and backgrounds unfortunately. I might have preferred a different rental studio for this shoot but unfortunately it just wasn't an option this time.

Photographed using a Canon 5D MKIII and a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens.

The first cosplayer goes by VivSai, and is wearing a cosplay of her own character in the online game "Final Fantasy XIV" :

This one goes by Faeliae Kitsune, and is wearing a cosplay of the character named Hatsune Miku:

And this last one goes by Kristy Podelnyk AKA "The Honest Cosplayer", and to be honest I have no idea who she is cosplaying as. I believe it's a character from The Legend of Zelda game series. Her sword changed colors randomly, so color consistency was not possible:

A few group shots:

Edited on May 30, 2023 at 05:33 AM · View previous versions

May 30, 2023 at 12:36 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cosplay

And for anyone interested, I saved the before/after on this one because I think it's some of my best retouching:

May 30, 2023 at 12:46 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cosplay

Oh man are these are fantastic Daniel! Really "outside the box" beautiful, unique and creative!"
You continue to amaze me with your stellar photography compositions!

Dan

May 30, 2023 at 11:06 AM
MRM4
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cosplay

If this stuff had been around and young adults dressing up for Halloween was a thing when I was in my late teens and early 20's, I would have gotten into some sort of trouble. The lighted costume is kinda cool.

May 30, 2023 at 03:22 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cosplay

Danpbphoto wrote:
Oh man are these are fantastic Daniel! Really "outside the box" beautiful, unique and creative!"
You continue to amaze me with your stellar photography compositions!

Dan

Thanks Dan! I really hope to get the chance to do more shoots like this. Maybe out of the studio next time though; that's always a lot more fun.

May 31, 2023 at 05:01 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cosplay

Whow.

These costumes must have been an absoluvely crazy amount of work.

May 31, 2023 at 07:05 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cosplay

You've done this before, haven't you! (lol)
It's impossible to pick a favorite! Absolutely excellent work!

May 31, 2023 at 07:10 AM
pablov13

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cosplay

My daughter wanted me to do some cosplay photos of here. This was my best one.

May 31, 2023 at 08:12 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cosplay

Sauseschritt wrote:
Whow.

These costumes must have been an absoluvely crazy amount of work.

Oh definitely, as well as very expensive. I know that the one with the neon blue lighting cost Viv over $4,000 to construct.

May 31, 2023 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cosplay

MRM4 wrote:
If this stuff had been around and young adults dressing up for Halloween was a thing when I was in my late teens and early 20's, I would have gotten into some sort of trouble. The lighted costume is kinda cool.

Personally I couldn't imagine spending so much money to make a costume like that for any occasion, but that's just me lol.

May 31, 2023 at 11:47 PM
KE_Photo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cosplay

Very cool and nicely done images - and amazing ornate costumes! Your comment about "out of the studio" got me thinking - usually we see cosplay photos from conventions or other real world places that don't sync. One would have to create a background scene that matches a particular character/style, which could be an interesting challenge!

Jun 01, 2023 at 08:33 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cosplay

pablov13 wrote:
My daughter wanted me to do some cosplay photos of here. This was my best one.

Thanks for looking.

Jun 02, 2023 at 02:46 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cosplay

story_teller wrote:
You've done this before, haven't you! (lol)
It's impossible to pick a favorite! Absolutely excellent work!

Maybe a few times.

Thank you.

Jun 02, 2023 at 02:47 PM
Imagery

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cosplay

Very nice capture!!
Those costumes are superbly well made. They look awesome, I personally really like the dark lighted horned costume.

Jun 02, 2023 at 09:57 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cosplay

KE_Photo wrote:
Very cool and nicely done images - and amazing ornate costumes! Your comment about "out of the studio" got me thinking - usually we see cosplay photos from conventions or other real world places that don't sync. One would have to create a background scene that matches a particular character/style, which could be an interesting challenge!

Thank you so much. I know of several locations within 3 hours of where I live that could work, but yes I would have to be particular about making sure whichever location I use compliments the costume.

Jun 05, 2023 at 07:33 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cosplay

Imagery wrote:
Very nice capture!!
Those costumes are superbly well made. They look awesome, I personally really like the dark lighted horned costume.

Thanks! That's my favorite of the costumes as well.

Jun 05, 2023 at 11:19 PM
Rel75
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cosplay

Love these and awesome work! I go to NY Comic Con every year to photograph the cosplayers because they do such amazing work. It's what got me serious about photography.

Some of these folks can spend up to a year or even longer putting together these costumes. I've had more than a few tell me this over the years.

Cosplayers are so much fun to shoot. Again, awesome job with all of these.

Jun 07, 2023 at 10:25 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cosplay

Rel75 wrote:
Love these and awesome work! I go to NY Comic Con every year to photograph the cosplayers because they do such amazing work. It's what got me serious about photography.

Some of these folks can spend up to a year or even longer putting together these costumes. I've had more than a few tell me this over the years.

Cosplayers are so much fun to shoot. Again, awesome job with all of these.

Thank you! The commitment to their craft certainly shows.

Jun 08, 2023 at 07:26 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.