Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

I miss FujiÖ

  
 
johnvanr
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · I miss FujiÖ


AndrewNYC wrote:
A did that too. Then sold. Now cannot buy.



Thatís why I hold onto mine for dear life. Donít use it much, but I know if I sell Iíll miss it and then canít buy it again.



May 29, 2023 at 12:26 PM
curtisb908
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · I miss FujiÖ


For me, my journey started with film back in the 70s (yeah,I'm old) then picked up digital with an Olympus about 8 years ago. Moved to Sony after that - A7iii - and, while it was a great camera, it didn't excite me. I discovered the Fuji X-T4 and fell in love with photography all over again - it reminded me of my old Pentax K-1000. I have never looked back - I truly enjoy making images with the Fuji system and kind of doubt I will leave the system (I even picked up a used X-E3 which is also a fun little camera too.) Okay, I do spend $$, but nowadays only on a new lens every so often.

elamont wrote:
Iíve been a camera nomad, since leaving Canon after about 15 years of shooting their FF bodies. Iím a recovering wedding photog, who mostly does landscapes and other casual shooting now. I tried the X-T3 and X-T4, before settling on Sony. The higher resolution and FF sensor lured me away. But man guys. Iíve found my A7IV to be soÖ BORING. It offers no inspiration, the way just looking at, or holding, the X-T line does. It has no film simulations to play with. Itís a great camera to be sure, but I long to move back to Fuji.

Iím
...Show more



May 30, 2023 at 10:23 AM
Michael Everet
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · I miss FujiÖ


curtisb908 wrote:
For me, my journey started with film back in the 70s (yeah,I'm old) then picked up digital with an Olympus about 8 years ago. Moved to Sony after that - A7iii - and, while it was a great camera, it didn't excite me. I discovered the Fuji X-T4 and fell in love with photography all over again - it reminded me of my old Pentax K-1000. I have never looked back - I truly enjoy making images with the Fuji system and kind of doubt I will leave the system (I even picked up a used X-E3 which is also
...Show more

Your journey is quite similar to mine, with a couple of minor differences. I too started out in the 70s with film, then went digital with Olympus, starting with the E-P1, finally got hooked on Sony, all the way from the Nex-3 to the A7rIV, and almost all steps in between. In the last couple of years switched to Fuji, mainly to lighten my load. X-S10, X-Pro3, and recently the X-T5. The X-T5 checks all my boxes, size, handling, ergonomics, and IQ. With the 40mp and all the new AI processing software, I don't feel I have lost much if anything abandoning Sony.

I rejected two systems, as I agree with I believe Gdann who said that you need to get familiar enough with your camera that all is intuitive, and you are focusing on the subject, not where the proper button is. It's like playing a musical instrument, of which I have a lot of experience -- you don't stop to think where to put your finger, or which string to bow or pluck, or whatever, but it's automatic and unconscious. Some people can do that with two camera systems, for me I find switching back and forth often confusing.




May 30, 2023 at 08:33 PM
Michael Everet
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · I miss FujiÖ


Let me add I haven't tried the new firmware for the X-T5 (and others) yet, but if its promise of better AF holds up, that will be a big step in the right direction.


May 30, 2023 at 08:35 PM
Sauseschritt
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · I miss FujiÖ


...

Fujifilm literally offers medium format.

Megapixels ? Resolution ? Image quality ? Galore !



May 31, 2023 at 01:49 AM
molson
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · I miss FujiÖ


Michael Everet wrote:
I rejected two systems, as I agree with I believe Gdann who said that you need to get familiar enough with your camera that all is intuitive, and you are focusing on the subject, not where the proper button is... Some people can do that with two camera systems, for me I find switching back and forth often confusing.



I find that most modern cameras are so customizable that I can set any of them up to shoot pretty much the same way, no matter which system I'm using.



May 31, 2023 at 08:18 AM
curtisb908
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · I miss FujiÖ


Yes, I completely agree that knowing your camera is a requirement to moving forward in one's creative journey. Not having to "think" about which button to reach for or which dial to adjust frees your mind to focus on the creative side of your image. I feel that I've finally reached that point with my Fuji cameras and I enjoy taking images more than ever. Gdann's comments also seem to resonate with me also, wich coupled with his amazing images, causes me to pay attention to what he says on here - Gdann, if you happen to read this, thank you. For learning the Fujifilm system, I also owe a lot of credit to John Peltier Photography Courses, and have recently discovered Alister Benn, who creates stunning landscape images and has written some very interesting articles on photography. My personal thanks to these individuals and countless others who have willingly shared their knowledge of photography, which is one of the things I love most about our common passion.

Michael Everet wrote:
Your journey is quite similar to mine, with a couple of minor differences. I too started out in the 70s with film, then went digital with Olympus, starting with the E-P1, finally got hooked on Sony, all the way from the Nex-3 to the A7rIV, and almost all steps in between. In the last couple of years switched to Fuji, mainly to lighten my load. X-S10, X-Pro3, and recently the X-T5. The X-T5 checks all my boxes, size, handling, ergonomics, and IQ. With the 40mp and all the new AI processing software, I don't feel I have lost much
...Show more



May 31, 2023 at 09:03 AM
amci4
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · I miss FujiÖ


icantbebigwill wrote:
I've gone back and forth between Fuji and Sony for the last 3 years. Fuji just clicks for me, but I was frustrated by the AF with little ones who do't like to stand still. The Sony AF I loved, but have never really cared for the images quite as much.

I'm currently using a Nikon Z6ii and the files are gorgeous, the AF system is pretty clunky however. The X-S20 is really calling my name.


Save the money and buy a used X-H2S, it will more than keep up with those little kids and the option of using the ES is insane as you get silent and no distortion. Shoot me a PM with your email address and Iíll send you a few from the park with my grandkids and niece.



Jun 03, 2023 at 07:16 AM
amci4
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · I miss FujiÖ


gunmetal wrote:
The Z6ii AF is clunky Do tell please. I have one on the way.


Nikon AF isnít clunky as in non-functional. It is clunky because the modes work differently than what most people are used to and it takes getting used to (I noted this on another thread and people acted like I was insulting their grandma). After the firmware updates it has become an extremely capable camera for AF, but you have to use the tracking boxes and canít just let it do itís own thing as that is where itís performance falls behind. So, if youíre willing to learn it and work with it, it can be awesome (to be fair, Fujiís fastest camera isnít as automatic as the Sony or Canon either, so it is a similar learning curve, but the Fuji can track from further away in my experience).



Jun 03, 2023 at 07:26 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Poefolk
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · I miss FujiÖ


I find myself missing Fuji as well. I started with the X-T20 when it was released, then went with the X-T2. I also had an X-100T and then X100V. I can't forget about the X-E3 I owned for a while either.

I ended up selling all of my Fuji gear and moving to Sony. I've had the Sony A7RIV, A7C, A1, and now the A7RV.

The A1 is a phenomenal camera, but I couldn't justify keeping it for what I shoot. I sold it and purchased the A7RV, which is my current camera. The AF on the RV is ridiculously good. If you're not shooting fast action or BIF, it's just as good as the A1, if not slightly better. The files are amazing. Detail for days with so much ability to crop.

Having said all of that, I'm starting to yearn for Fuji again. I've been watching a lot of videos on the X-T5 and X-H2. Seriously thinking about making the move. The only thing I would miss on the Sony A7RV is the AF. It just rarely misses. I can live without the 60MP and HUGE files. But I've been shooting with Sony for quite a while now, and am so used to using them, and the AF is a breeze. Barely have to set anything up and it works so good.

There' just something about Fuji that is calling me back. How good is the AF on the X-T5 and X-H2? I know the new firmware has improved it from what I've seen and read. I mainly just shoot family stuff, landscapes, city scapes, etc. Nothing fast or BIF. Maybe the kids running around some.




Jun 03, 2023 at 07:59 AM
leonasj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · I miss FujiÖ


from eos R im jump to gfx50r ,looking sometimes at eos R5 ,but finally now after 2years use trade gfx50r for gfx100s. very happy.



© leonasj 2023

  GFX100S    GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro lens    120mm    f/4.5    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jun 03, 2023 at 08:16 AM
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · I miss FujiÖ


elamont wrote:
Iíve been a camera nomad, since leaving Canon after about 15 years of shooting their FF bodies. Iím a recovering wedding photog, who mostly does landscapes and other casual shooting now. I tried the X-T3 and X-T4, before settling on Sony. The higher resolution and FF sensor lured me away. But man guys. Iíve found my A7IV to be soÖ BORING. It offers no inspiration, the way just looking at, or holding, the X-T line does. It has no film simulations to play with. Itís a great camera to be sure, but I long to move back to Fuji.

Iím
...Show more

You don't necessarily have to spend a mint to get an older Fuji body. I started a thread on that a few years ago. Still haven't gotten one, but I enjoy jpegs in recent years and the film sims look appealing

X-T2 most recommended, X-E3 probably 2nd. X-T1, X-E2, X-T10, also mentioned, probably others

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1642545/0?keyword=x



Jun 05, 2023 at 02:09 PM
gunmetal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · I miss FujiÖ


amci4 wrote:
Nikon AF isnít clunky as in non-functional. It is clunky because the modes work differently than what most people are used to and it takes getting used to (I noted this on another thread and people acted like I was insulting their grandma). After the firmware updates it has become an extremely capable camera for AF, but you have to use the tracking boxes and canít just let it do itís own thing as that is where itís performance falls behind. So, if youíre willing to learn it and work with it, it can be awesome (to be fair, Fujiís
...Show more

I shot golf with the Z6II today (alongside the XH2s and A9). I was hoping 14fps would be enough. It's really not unless you're not too picky about the shots. I also hate the shutter on it. It vibrates such that I felt like it was moving my framing around. Really weird. The two things the Z mount has going that might just make me a full adopter are the 400mm F/4.5 and the snapbridge app. That lens is unreal in every sense and as far as I can tell there's nothing else like it with any other system or format. And to finally have an app that just works intuitively and reliably is refreshing. To be fair, I haven't tried the news X App. I'll never fully leave Fuji, but man I wish they'd come out with a middling telephoto prime that's sharp and lightweight. The 200 F/2 is just about as heavy as the Canon 300 2.8 that I've been adapting with. Probably going to bite the bullet and order a Z8.



Jun 06, 2023 at 01:14 AM
hectorvs
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · I miss FujiÖ


I moved to Sony (A7RV + 24-70gmii) from Fuji earlier in the year mainly because of Auto Focus and great quality glass. I'm also partial to the tilt screen (A7RV has both tilt + flip).

I've enjoyed the results I've been getting from the Sony kit, but it hasn't been a pleasant experience to use. The camera + lens is just too freaking heavy and big. It makes every outing with the camera a conscious decision which removes from casual enjoyment.

Also the deep menus and seemingly infinite customization just gives me too much of a cognitive load for my casual use.

With the improved AF of the X-T5, I might make the jump back to Fuji again... waiting to hear from the community how much of an improvement it is.



Jun 06, 2023 at 02:49 AM
nburwell
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · I miss FujiÖ


I bounced between numerous FF DSLR/Mirrorless systems (namely Canon, Nikon, Sony in that order). A couple years ago, I bought an X100V with me on a trip and used that the majority of the time compared to my Sony body and lenses. I ultimately sold all of my Sony gear and have been with Fuji ever since. I couldnít be happier as I typically use my gear for landscapes and travel, so the smaller bodies and, especially lenses, are much better for my uses.


Jun 06, 2023 at 10:09 AM
MatthewK
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · I miss FujiÖ


I haven't really bounced out of Fuji since I started shooting with it 5 years back, but I do know that I will always have some Fuji as part of my kit. A majority of my photography is birding, and for that I use Nikon. I also shot Canon for legit portrait/event photography. Both are great systems, but Fuji just has something about it that makes photography fun again. Everyone has their reasons/justifications for whatever they choose, and my silly reasons for choosing Fuji are primarily the 35 f/1.4, small size compared to the FF counterparts, and the film sims





Jun 06, 2023 at 11:04 AM
MatthewK
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · I miss FujiÖ


gunmetal wrote:
I shot golf with the Z6II today (alongside the XH2s and A9). I was hoping 14fps would be enough. It's really not unless you're not too picky about the shots. I also hate the shutter on it. It vibrates such that I felt like it was moving my framing around. Really weird. The two things the Z mount has going that might just make me a full adopter are the 400mm F/4.5 and the snapbridge app. That lens is unreal in every sense and as far as I can tell there's nothing else like it with any other system or
...Show more

Just wait until you mount that 400 4.5 up to a Z8... it's delightfully lightweight and fun to shoot with. I'm with you on Fuji offering a legit long prime, like a 400 or 500 f/4; heck, I'd be perfectly content if they did them in f/5.6.



Jun 06, 2023 at 11:05 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · I miss FujiÖ


mdude85 wrote:
Maybe us nerds think that infinite customization is what makes a "pro" camera?


That's more or less the problem, in a nutshell. There have been attempts to simplify camera operation ó see the P mode, for example, along with things like auto-ISO ó but they aren't marketable as high-end features of "sophisticated" cameras.

Designers have had to, more or less, work in "have your cake and eat it" mode ó providing cameras that are hugely customizable with access to a range of settings that many people will never touch and don't even fully understand...while also providing a kind of basic operational layer that can be used without digging in to deeply.

I'm not sure what the solution (from both the technical and market-success perspectives) would even look like these days, aside from the current, and pretty sophisticated, ability to set up user presets/programs designed for particular uses.

In the end, I suspect that it is a matter of mission creep that started way back in the film days. "Serious" photographers who wanted creative control and flexibility did learn some pretty arcane stuff that they applied at the time of exposure all the way through the film post-processing stage. But the number of variables was relatively small compared to today. But we still want the control... and "serious" cameras don't give that up.

Fortunately, with the "retro" interface on many of the Fujifilm cameras, aside from setting some stuff up initially, once we start photographing we can do most of what is necessary from the camera body and lens controls.

Dan



Jun 06, 2023 at 11:26 AM
1       2      
3
       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.