New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

I miss Fuji…

elamont
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I miss Fuji…

I’ve been a camera nomad, since leaving Canon after about 15 years of shooting their FF bodies. I’m a recovering wedding photog, who mostly does landscapes and other casual shooting now. I tried the X-T3 and X-T4, before settling on Sony. The higher resolution and FF sensor lured me away. But man guys. I’ve found my A7IV to be so… BORING. It offers no inspiration, the way just looking at, or holding, the X-T line does. It has no film simulations to play with. It’s a great camera to be sure, but I long to move back to Fuji.

I’m trying to tell myself it’s just a bad case of GAS, but… film sims and better industrial design (IMO) are becoming harder to ignore. Anyone else bounce around like this and land on Fuji after trying alternatives?

May 26, 2023 at 11:31 AM
icantbebigwill
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I miss Fuji…

I've gone back and forth between Fuji and Sony for the last 3 years. Fuji just clicks for me, but I was frustrated by the AF with little ones who do't like to stand still. The Sony AF I loved, but have never really cared for the images quite as much.

I'm currently using a Nikon Z6ii and the files are gorgeous, the AF system is pretty clunky however. The X-S20 is really calling my name.

May 26, 2023 at 11:36 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I miss Fuji…

elamont wrote:
I’m trying to tell myself it’s just a bad case of GAS

There's a very, very good chance that, in fact, this is what it is. ;-)

May 26, 2023 at 11:47 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I miss Fuji…

I stopped bouncing and just got an X100v to scratch my itch when it strikes. Very happy with that purchase.

May 26, 2023 at 11:55 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I miss Fuji…

If this were a watch forum the correct answer would be “shoot both”

You can easily approximate some tailored jpeg setting with your Sony via Picture Profiles.

Still not as fun as shooting an X-T or X-Pro or X100x though. The new X-H2/2S - not so much. I’d rather shoot my Sony.

May 26, 2023 at 12:07 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I miss Fuji…

I recently bounced into Fujiland after 2 decades with Canon FF (also a recovered wedding/event shooter), but I have not yet bounced away, and I don't think I ever will.

I am, however, bouncing from one Fuji body to the next like a March hare. 4 bodies in as many weeks, and still not quite settled.

On that note, if you think you would be happy with an X-T30II, there's an LNIB one in the B&S now.

May 26, 2023 at 12:13 PM
elamont
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I miss Fuji…

I’ve thought about doing this too, but with something like an X-T2 or 3. Just a fun side camera, to scratch the itch, but with options for different focal lengths.

RoamingScott wrote:
I stopped bouncing and just got an X100v to scratch my itch when it strikes. Very happy with that purchase.

May 26, 2023 at 12:14 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I miss Fuji…

My main suggestion would simply be pick a Fuji camera with physical controls like the X-T2 to give you the full Fuji experience 😁

Nothing wrong with the X-T2, still makes great images and is only $500 these days.

elamont wrote:
I’ve thought about doing this too, but with something like an X-T2 or 3. Just a fun side camera, to scratch the itch, but with options for different focal lengths.

May 26, 2023 at 12:20 PM
elamont
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I miss Fuji…

Yes! But… as a hobbyist, the gear acquisition is part of the fun, no? 😉

gdanmitchell wrote:

May 26, 2023 at 12:22 PM
elamont
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I miss Fuji…

Oh my goodness, four bodies in a month. Not gonna lie, that makes me feel a tad better. Haha… I’ve had four bodies in the last four years or so. Where do you think you’ll land? If I move completely, it’ll be to an X-T5 probably. But the top display and better grip of the X-H2 are appealing to me too. I thought the X-T4 was a bit too small and the 5 is even smaller, I see.

cogitech wrote:
I recently bounced into Fujiland after 2 decades with Canon FF (also a recovered wedding/event shooter), but I have not yet bounced away, and I don't think I ever will.

I am, however, bouncing from one Fuji body to the next like a March hare. 4 bodies in as many weeks, and still not quite settled.

On that note, if you think you would be happy with an X-T30II, there's an LNIB one in the B&S now.

May 26, 2023 at 12:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I miss Fuji…

elamont wrote:
Yes! But… as a hobbyist, the gear acquisition is part of the fun, no? 😉

I'm not so sure. I see a lot of angst about gear in these forums from people who seem to be looking for a hit of "fun" from buying new things while perhaps missing the "photography" part.

I get this vibe when I see posts from folks who have gone through various models and sometimes multiple brands in quick succession only to — once again — decide that whatever camera or lens they have in their hands is now "boring" or "not fun."

Maybe it isn't the camera's fault?

The thrill of buying the new camera is real, of course, to some extent. But that excitement doesn't last long, and feeding THAT itch requires living in a perpetual cycle of "this thing I own ins't good enough, but that thing over there WILL be, so I buy it and it IS thrilling, until it isn't a few months later, at which point I do it again."

In other words, it never seems to be very satisfying for more than a short time after the next new acquisition.

Dan

May 26, 2023 at 12:37 PM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I miss Fuji…

RoamingScott wrote:
My main suggestion would simply be pick a Fuji camera with physical controls like the X-T2 to give you the full Fuji experience 😁

Nothing wrong with the X-T2, still makes great images and is only $500 these days.

Still love my X-T2. It’s so good at what it does that I sometimes get a twinge of buyers remorse about the X-T5.
My current grab and go setup is the X-T2 + Voigtlander 23 1.2. Nifty little lens.

Feels great to use. Not clinically sterile but fun and just *nice*

May 26, 2023 at 12:47 PM
elamont
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I miss Fuji…

I don’t entirely disagree. And I’m certainly guilty of liking new shiny toys as much as anyone. However; in this case, I’m perfectly aware the A7IV is a technically fantastic camera, capable of producing results far above my skill level. I’m not looking for a new camera that will somehow make me a better photographer. It doesn’t work that way. It’s just that the A7IV is painfully clinical and boring to use. I think it’s undeniable that a large part of Fuji’s appeal is their industrial design and film sims, especially for people who love the X-T, X-Pro, etc. lines. I know when I had mine, I’d leave it on my desk because it’s not only a camera, but a work of art. It made me want to go out and shoot. I get none of that with Sony. And maybe it’s different for other people. I love design and appreciate the small touches. Others are completely satisfied with the tool that gets the job done, no matter how it looks or handles. That’s just not me. I’m not blaming the A7 as much as recognizing (after the fact unfortunately) it’s just not the right fit for me.

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm not so sure. I see a lot of angst about gear in these forums from people who seem to be looking for a hit of "fun" from buying new things while perhaps missing the "photography" part.

I get this vibe when I see posts from folks who have gone through various models and sometimes multiple brands in quick succession only to — once again — decide that whatever camera or lens they have in their hands is now "boring" or "not fun."

Maybe it isn't the camera's fault?

The thrill of buying the new camera is real, of course, to some
...Show more

May 26, 2023 at 12:56 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I miss Fuji…

elamont wrote:
Oh my goodness, four bodies in a month. Not gonna lie, that makes me feel a tad better. Haha… I’ve had four bodies in the last four years or so. Where do you think you’ll land? If I move completely, it’ll be to an X-T5 probably. But the top display and better grip of the X-H2 are appealing to me too. I thought the X-T4 was a bit too small and the 5 is even smaller, I see.

To be fair, one of the bodies is my wife's (X-T4). So really it is three for me. I started with an X-T2, loved it, then noticed an X-T3 for nearly the same price and decided it would be a worthwhile swap. Love the X-T3 as well. Then decided something more compact would be even nicer, and noticed the X-T30II (which also has the latest film sims) so I bought a brand new one and figured that would be the end of the story. Then I discovered that me and the new Fuji custom settings "way" don't get along well, so the X-T30II is looking for a new home. Also, I'm a viewfinder guy and the small ones just don't do it for me.

I've realized that there is no "perfect" body. Feature-wise, the X-T4 is perfect (for me), but it is even bigger/heavier than my X-T3.

At this point I think I might just keep the X-T3 and maybe buy an X-E1/E2 as a more compact option.

For me this has nothing to do with thrills. I owned a 5D for 17 or so years so I am quite capable of being satisfied with a camera. It just has to be the right one (or two ).

May 26, 2023 at 01:18 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I miss Fuji…

Went Nikon > Leica > Fuji for me. Finally settled with Fuji. IMO it's the best balance of fun, portability, IQ, and value. If you're not averse to crop sensor, Fuji has it all.

Here's my opinion after bouncing around different systems.

Nikon Z = big & heavy lenses, mostly plastic, Z bodies look ugly.
Sony = feels more like playing with a computer instead of a camera.
Leica = expensive, RF focusing gets old after a while, can't focus close, your world revolves around 3 lenses: 28, 35 and 50. Anything else is impractical to use. Focus shift is a way of life. Need visoflex if you want live view ($500)

Fuji = Fun to use. Awesome clickety dials, retro bodies look great. Lenses have aperture ring. Small and portable, great IQ, film simulations. What more can you ask? On my XPro3 I can mount a MF Voigtlander and use the OVF if I want to use it like a Leica M. I can then mount a Fuji glass, switch back to AF and use the EVF if I want to go back to Fujiland. It's the best of both worlds.

May 26, 2023 at 01:36 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I miss Fuji…

gdanmitchell wrote:

I’d disagree. I’ve had the same experience when shooting Sony. In my case, I missed Olympus and Canon. Photography is as much enjoying the gear you use as just taking pictures.

May 26, 2023 at 03:09 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I miss Fuji…

johnvanr wrote:
I’d disagree. I’ve had the same experience when shooting Sony. In my case, I missed Olympus and Canon. Photography is as much enjoying the gear you use as just taking pictures.

For some. I have many cameras both film and digital from many different companies and I enjoy shooting with them all. I love the "hunt" of the photo much more than the way gear looks or feels.

I chuckle when I hear people put their gear onto their desks and admire it. Wonder if they do the same with their hammers.

May 26, 2023 at 03:22 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I miss Fuji…

The way the gear feels and responds (ideally just getting out of the way) enhances the "hunt" for me.

When I am angry at my camera, I don't take great photos.

I certainly enjoy using my Estwing hammer more than some house brand from Canadian Tire, too.

Edited on May 26, 2023 at 03:29 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2023 at 03:25 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I miss Fuji…

chez wrote:
For some. I have many cameras both film and digital from many different companies and I enjoy shooting with them all. I love the "hunt" of the photo much more than the way gear looks or feels.

I chuckle when I hear people put their gear onto their desks and admire it. Wonder if they do the same with their hammers.

I have a bunch as well, but I’ve gotten rid of the ones I just don’t enjoy using.

And my gear is either lying around or in drawers, with the exception of the old stuff I don’t use and just bought for display and collecting.

May 26, 2023 at 03:26 PM
phidippusaudax

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I miss Fuji…

I miss the aesthetic of the X-T3 and the manual controls.

I learned photography on that camera and it holds a special place for me.

I would love an X-T5, but I just shelled out for a Sony A1 -- so the X-T5 is a pipe dream at this point!

May 26, 2023 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.