New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

Alistair1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

Took my Z9 in to local Nikon agent to attend to some issues whilst still under warranty. Just got it back and the repair invoice makes interesting reading:

PROBLEM
On/off switch become harder to turn and very stiff, not turning off when camera soaking wet, main command dial does not respond to every click, multi selector has similar issue.

WORK DONE
Dismantle camera, clean sand from power switch assembly, relub. Remove and replace command dial, remove and clean sand from multi selector assembly, perform modification as per Nikon advisory. Reassemble, calibrate and check.

PARTS
1276L Sponge Z9
133TP Copper Foil Tape Z9
139L4 Washer Z9
1357G Main Command Dial Unit Z9
139L5 Washer Z9
133V3 Rubber Z9
Labour 3

It looks like I need to take a little more care in sandy conditions. I think the problem occurs when it is raining and I am in sand. Wet sandy hands operating the camera and sand getting washed into the internals. Though I don't believe the main command dial failure was due to sand ingress.

The modification performed as per Nikon advisory is interesting too. Will try and find out what that was and report back.

May 26, 2023 at 01:13 AM
Nikon1960
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

InterestingÖ Iíve had the camera out in several rainstorms now, and I noticed that my playback button occasionally doesnít work. Iíll have to see what Nikon does with mine.

May 27, 2023 at 04:42 PM
LostLensCap
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

You bought a Z9 to hold up to hard heavy use. Sounds like you have reached its' limit.

May 28, 2023 at 11:30 AM
Eric214
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

Alistair1 wrote:
Took my Z9 in to local Nikon agent to attend to some issues whilst still under warranty. Just got it back and the repair invoice makes interesting reading:

PROBLEM
On/off switch become harder to turn and very stiff, not turning off when camera soaking wet, main command dial does not respond to every click, multi selector has similar issue.

WORK DONE
Dismantle camera, clean sand from power switch assembly, relub. Remove and replace command dial, remove and clean sand from multi selector assembly, perform modification as per Nikon advisory. Reassemble, calibrate and check.

PARTS
1276L Sponge Z9
133TP Copper Foil Tape Z9
139L4 Washer Z9
1357G Main Command
...Show more

How long did it take to get back?

May 30, 2023 at 10:54 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

Eric214 wrote:
How long did it take to get back?

It took a couple of weeks. Parts had to come from Singapore.

May 30, 2023 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

Found what the Nikon advisory was; replace washer under the d pad with updated version.

May 30, 2023 at 01:24 PM
Eric214
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

Alistair1 wrote:
It took a couple of weeks. Parts had to come from Singapore.

Thanks, I just shipped mine today to Nikon Melville for the same thing. The rear command dial doesn't respond to each turn off the dial. This gives me an idea of the turnaround

May 30, 2023 at 05:44 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

A few points I want to make on Nikon Melville service:

1. They do good work and go beyond just the repair because they seem to "go through" the camera. You should get a sheet back from them, indicating all that was cleaned, repaired and replaced.

2. They will not send a part to you regardless of how simple the reapair is. I noticed that my 200-500 rubber zoom sleeve was a little loose by the slight wrinkling along the edges. They politely refused to allow me to pay for the part and do it myself, even though there is no adhesive. It is held on by tensile strength. It goes on like pulling on a sock. That's it. Still, I had to send it in for them to repair it. Job security

I've had more than several repairs by Melville over the years. I do think *their pricing is reasonable*.

For each repair, if a part was required I experienced those same waiting times mentioned here. I am quite certain it is because they simply do not stock parts in Melville. No problem.

3. Honestly, I am surprised water got into that spot on the Z9. What is a Nikon Advisory? Is it a notice that there is a problem in just that one spot? If so, that is good that they communicate that. Oh, just thought that they would cover that under your Z9 warranty

I have used my D850 in lots of rain, not downpours but in continual/constant light to moderate rain on lakes with loons. No problem. I just toweled it as soon as I could and it never went down on me after these rainy days. On the other hand, a very small splash of saltwater (estuary) made it over the gunwale and onto the top of the D850 and although I dried it with a fluffy towel.... several days later the camera stopped altogether and I had to send it in.

May 30, 2023 at 09:15 PM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

Eric214 wrote:
Thanks, I just shipped mine today to Nikon Melville for the same thing. The rear command dial doesn't respond to each turn off the dial. This gives me an idea of the turnaround

That's interesting. I wonder if this is a common problem.

May 31, 2023 at 01:45 AM
Eric214
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Interesting Z9 Warranty Repairs

Alistair1 wrote:
That's interesting. I wonder if this is a common problem.

I was wondering the same. Nikon will receive my Z9 today and hoping they get it in shop this week and no dredded parts hold

May 31, 2023 at 09:20 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.