Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource
  

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

  

OM1 in Ecuador

  
 
tsunathanh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OM1 in Ecuador


Too better understand my OM1 and 90mm macro, I brought the setup with me to Ecuador. Still working through the experience, but here are a few images




  OM-1    OM 90mm F3.5 lens    90mm    f/5.6    1/40s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  






  OM-1    OM 90mm F3.5 lens    90mm    f/7.1    1/200s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  






  OM-1    OM 90mm F3.5 lens    90mm    f/7.1    1/200s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  






  OM-1    OM 90mm F3.5 lens    90mm    f/4.0    1/40s    1600 ISO    +0.3 EV  




May 25, 2023 at 03:52 PM
LordV
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OM1 in Ecuador


Some wonderful shots

Brian V.



May 26, 2023 at 08:15 AM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OM1 in Ecuador


Excellent. Some might benefit from a stop smaller.

Harold



May 27, 2023 at 02:28 AM
tsunathanh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OM1 in Ecuador


e6filmuser wrote:
Excellent. Some might benefit from a stop smaller.

Harold


Thanks! Also, pretty interested in which ones and around which aperture you'd suggest. Thanks for any input!




May 27, 2023 at 10:22 AM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OM1 in Ecuador


tsunathanh wrote:
Thanks! Also, pretty interested in which ones and around which aperture you'd suggest. Thanks for any input!



It depends what you are trying to achieve. I like to get both antennae and all the legs sharpish.

On m4/3 I set f11 as default, f8 if the subject is fairly in one plane. For really flat, immobile subjects, maybe f5.6. It also depends on the limits on the angle of view for some subjects.

Harold



May 27, 2023 at 11:01 AM
tsunathanh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OM1 in Ecuador


e6filmuser wrote:
It depends what you are trying to achieve. I like to get both antennae and all the legs sharpish.

On m4/3 I set f11 as default, f8 if the subject is fairly in one plane. For really flat, immobile subjects, maybe f5.6. It also depends on the limits on the angle of view for some subjects.

Harold


Intersting!

Katydid antennae are longer than their bodies, so really not likely to get them entirely in focus. I think I am pretty happy with the focal plane on these images.

I also usually use f8 or f11, but all of these images are in-body focus stacks of four, or five, shots

-Nathan





May 27, 2023 at 01:24 PM
Nathen Danforth
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OM1 in Ecuador


Beautiful photos. Natural light?


May 27, 2023 at 02:36 PM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OM1 in Ecuador


tsunathanh wrote:
Intersting!

Katydid antennae are longer than their bodies, so really not likely to get them entirely in focus. I think I am pretty happy with the focal plane on these images.

I also usually use f8 or f11, but all of these images are in-body focus stacks of four, or five, shots

-Nathan


I tend to agree with you but it can be done. Two single frames as stereo pair:

?ts=1657647115">




May 27, 2023 at 02:54 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

tsunathanh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OM1 in Ecuador


Yeah a good example- even with the insect small in the frame the antennae are still OOF and Out of frame. Nice shots

e6filmuser wrote:
I tend to agree with you but it can be done. Two single frames as stereo pair:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/99/2385599.jpg?ts=1657647115





May 27, 2023 at 03:16 PM
tsunathanh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OM1 in Ecuador


Thank you!

The butterfly images are natural light. Otherwise the clear wing becomes not so clear. The two katydid images are shot with a Godox v860iii and a diffuser. Something like 1/64 power.

Nathen Danforth wrote:
Beautiful photos. Natural light?




May 27, 2023 at 03:17 PM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OM1 in Ecuador


tsunathanh wrote:
Yeah a good example- even with the insect small in the frame the antennae are still OOF and Out of frame. Nice shots



It it's in frame you want:

?ts=1657647115">

With the length of antennae, it is a matter of waiting until they are held parallel to the body, which they don't alwys do.

Harold



May 28, 2023 at 01:55 AM
tsunathanh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OM1 in Ecuador



Yes this is what I mean- to reliable get those things in frame your katydid is tiny and your composition has sacrificed. And they still arenít in focus.
But yeah, itís obviously possible.
I personally prefer to embrace depth of field and out of focus elements.
Thanks in any event for the advice 😄
Someday (some other day) youíll have to tell me whatís up with this Stereo Pair thing.
Cheers!


e6filmuser wrote:
It it's in frame you want:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/03/2385603.jpg?ts=1657647115

With the length of antennae, it is a matter of waiting until they are held parallel to the body, which they don't alwys do.

Harold




May 28, 2023 at 07:06 AM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OM1 in Ecuador


tsunathanh wrote:
Yes this is what I mean- to reliable get those things in frame your katydid is tiny and your composition has sacrificed. And they still arenít in focus.


Filling the frame is not composition!

Essentially, for the stereos, you have to view the right images with your left eye and the left one with your right eye. There are websites that guide you through it. It took me weeks to get the trick .

I can provide conventional stereos but crosseye one generally work better on screens.

Fell free to print and play!

Harold



May 28, 2023 at 07:34 AM
tsunathanh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OM1 in Ecuador




e6filmuser wrote:
Filling the frame is not composition!



Oh.. I know. lol



May 28, 2023 at 07:37 AM
40Driggs
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OM1 in Ecuador


Fantastic shots of some very interesting subjects. You made the most of your trip for sure!


May 29, 2023 at 04:09 PM







FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.