EF Canon 135mm f2
RF Samyang 85mm f1.4 AF

Midrange portrait lens for EOS R

Pixelpuffin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Midrange portrait lens for EOS R

EB-1 wrote:
How does Samyang get away with producing an RF lens when the Shenzhen Jueying Technology Co. (Vitrilox) stopped selling their RF lens due to infringement claims from Canon?

EBH

I thought the rumour was canon will probably release updated firmware which adds functions we want but which will also result in all 3rd party RF lenses being reduced to dumb lenses…i.e will fit but not function electronically.
That’s what I thought the problem was?? Hence few 3rd party’s have bothered to invest if it’s likely to become obsolete/unusable??

May 26, 2023 at 02:03 AM
Jean jacques
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Midrange portrait lens for EOS R

PicGuy wrote:
I bought a RF 85mm f/2 last December when Canon was fire selling it for $299. It has proven to be a very good lens. The IS is nice to have it delivers very good sharpness and IQ. The only complaint I have with it, and it is a very minor complaint, is the bokeh could be a little less busy in some shooting situations.

I have yhe Samyang 85mm 1,4 AF RF with my eos R5. I am very happy with this couple!

May 26, 2023 at 05:42 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Midrange portrait lens for EOS R

EB-1 wrote:
How does Samyang get away with producing an RF lens when the Shenzhen Jueying Technology Co. (Vitrilox) stopped selling their RF lens due to infringement claims from Canon?

EBH

The Samyang has been out of production for RF mount for some time for the same reason as Viltrox. The only options are used.

May 26, 2023 at 05:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jean jacques
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Midrange portrait lens for EOS R

Jman13 wrote:
The Samyang has been out of production for RF mount for some time for the same reason as Viltrox. The only options are used.

I bought the last one in France by sending an email directly to the importer

May 26, 2023 at 05:51 AM
steamtrain
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Midrange portrait lens for EOS R

jakemachina wrote:
Looking to add a portrait lens to my current lineup for my EOS R. Currently the closest thing I have to a portrait lens is a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG OS HSM which is a little soft, or a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 Di VC USD G2 which is a great event lens but doesn't offer the separation and compression that a classic lens would offer.

I'm not in a position to drop $1k on a lens, but I've got around $600 saved for a used lens.

Since the R body doesn't have IBIS, it's tempting to get the tamron or the
...Show more

I've had the Tamron, but sold it. The Tamron has a more beautiful rendering for portraits than the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm. The AF of the Tamron is also better. Some great AFing lenses can be a tad more responsive for AF, but compared to the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm the Tamron wins hands down. It's also a third of a stop brighter.

The RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm has better stabilization, and a great magnification factor.

If portraits is the main goal I would go with the Tamron. I've sold the Tamron because I have the Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art, but that one will likely be out of range for your budget. It's also a boat anchor. The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art is more affordable, especially used copies, it focuses very good, but it's heavy compared to the Tamron, and I like the Tamron a bit better for it's character, and stabilization.

May 30, 2023 at 03:59 PM
pokemeng

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Midrange portrait lens for EOS R

gilles.t wrote:
No love for the EF 85 1.4L here? I would consider it before the Sigma. It is lighter and more compact. It has IS and its AF is fast enough to keep up with a dog running towards you, up to its MFD. IQ is well corrected and it is sharp wide open across the frame. I kept my old EF 85 1.8 because it is lighter and more compact, but I use the EF 85 1.4L a lot more. Yes, I am a 85 mm portrait kind of guy.

I really like the 85 1.4 also for the exact reason you mention. It can keep up with my dogs. it is, regrettably, outside of the price range stated in the above post. Even in the used flavor. There was a really good refurb sale that put it at $1k that made me a little salty, but that is still not within reach of this discussion.

May 30, 2023 at 04:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.