New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

What a difference some fresh grip rubber makes

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What a difference some fresh grip rubber makes

So I picked up a well used, but good condition D750 about a week ago, and I've been enjoying it. It's high mileage, but in otherwise great shape, except the grip rubber had become very worn, very faded, with some white spots showing up, and starting to come slightly up on the side of the camera. I ordered fresh grip rubber from Nikon, including the bottom port cover, which was missing, and with shipping, it totaled about $38....but man, what a difference. Makes the camera look brand new!

Before:

And after the rubber replacement:

May 24, 2023 at 04:36 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What a difference some fresh grip rubber makes

New rubber is obviously a great solution, but another thing you can do to your camera rubber to keep it looking like new forever (aside from physical wear) is apply some 303 Aerospace protectant. It's a water based product with high quality UV protectants in it, free of petroleum distillates, alcohol, silicone oils, and other things that destroy plastic/rubber. Anyway, a tiny bit of this on camera/lens rubber makes it look like new and prevents it from going white and chalky. If you buff it off properly with a microfiber cloth it will leave no residue and a non-greasy, matte finish. Great for plastics/rubber in your vehicle, air conditioner covers, boat covers/interiors, anything along those lines. It even makes a decent tire shine that won't sling onto your vehicle's paint. Note that UV protectants are sacrificial, similar to sunscreen, so you need to reapply every once in a while for best results.

That new rubber looks fantastic though, you did a great job on the install.

May 24, 2023 at 05:22 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What a difference some fresh grip rubber makes

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably get some of that to apply to the only piece of rubber that Nikon doesn't offer on its own, and that's the SD card door rubber, which is in good shape on this camera, but a little faded. The rest of the rubber on the body was just severely worn, and the glue was peeling a bit in spots, so I just replaced all of it that could be replaced.

As for the install - it's super easy to do and honestly kind of hard to mess up. The pieces are molded exactly the way they need to be to install, so the grip is already grip shaped and molded rubber, with even some insert tabs and such to lock it into plastic recesses on the body...just peel off the paper covering the double sided tape, slide an edge in and work it across the piece.

Only thing that was a small surprise was that the D750 and FX badge are not on the body...they're small plastic badges that are secured to the outside of the side rubber, so I needed to remove them from the old piece, and stick them to their spot on the new rubber.

May 25, 2023 at 07:22 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.