New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Next Camera Options

raptorphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Next Camera Options

Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my camera gear with about a 4000 budget. I already have a Sigma 150-600 with a Nikon D3500. I am considering 4 options.

Nikon Z8 plus FTZ with Sigma 150-600 C.

Canon R7 with 100-500

Canon R7 with the Sigma (Might have some AF issues.)

Canon R5 with Sigma. (AF issues)

Which would you recommend for price effectiveness and shooting birds in flight? Which AF experience will be best?

TIA

May 23, 2023 at 09:16 PM
FrenchFry
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Next Camera Options

If limited to those options, I would go for the R7 plus RF 100-500 because with BIFs you will want fast and accurate and sticky autofocus, which is best achieved with a native lens. In my experience with current firmware, the R3, R7, and R6II have stickier autofocus than the R5.

Z9 autofocus is excellent and Z8 is rumored to be even better, so no doubt that will be a very capable camera, but I donít think you will get the full potential out of it with an adapted third party lens. Maybe the Nikon 100-400 plus TC would work for you?

Also keep in mind the significant size and weight differences between your proposed kits. That can make a big difference if hand holding BIFs for long periods. With smaller and lighter kit you can also leave the heavy tripod and gimbal at home!

What focal lengths do you use most now?

May 23, 2023 at 11:39 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Next Camera Options

I use a Z7 and FTZ with many 3rd party lenses. My only problem is the FTZ will not work with screw drive focus. I have no problems with focus, as landscapes move very slowly except during earthquakes. I admit I have never had any opportunity as the last earthquake near Chicago was about 20 years ago. Normal moving adults work fine even with FTZ and 3rd party lenses for me. Anything requiring perfect focus fast gets the venerable 500 out of the safe. In my mid 70's anything needing D500 focus abilities are pretty much avoided for several other reasons, usually health related.

May 24, 2023 at 02:12 AM
raptorphoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Next Camera Options

Right now I mostly use the 600mm end of my Sigma, but I think if I got the Z8 I would later get the upcoming 200-600.

May 24, 2023 at 10:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.