New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

Rather than muddying another thread I have going, I will isolate this question in a new thread.

I am looking at using a monopod for some types of wildlife shooting with my Canon R5. In this configuration I would want to use a monopod gimbal head. I am aware of the Wimberley MH-100 for $179US. Wimberley is a good name and the head is rated for over 100lbs so should be no problem there.

Are there any other monopod heads out there that you feel are worthy of consideration?

Thanks

May 23, 2023 at 06:47 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

I have used the models from really right stuff and they work well. I have also tried full size gimbals that I had and that works too but obviously a bit bulky. I tried the wimberley mh-100 and it is the best I have ever used on a monopod. The size and the way it balances is just outstanding. I use it mainly for my RF 400mm and RF 800mm f5.6

May 23, 2023 at 07:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

I use the RRS MH-01 on two monopods; the Manfrotto NeoTec and Feisol CM-1471 Rapid. It's a tilt head, designed for large lenses on a monopod. I use it with a 500/4L IS. It's bombproof.

May 23, 2023 at 08:04 PM
Choderboy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

The Wimberley. 1 disadvantage: with other heads sometimes I just pick up everything to take a shot, ie camera and monopod. Doing this with the Wimberley is the only time the offset design is a problem.
So I just don't do that anymore and enjoy every other benefit.
It's not just great for taking photos. Also great for carrying. It's like having a big round soft foot on the lens. I carry like that in rough terrain. For easier going it rests on my shoulder. Very comfortable. I can very confidently use both hands for other things with it on my shoulder.

May 23, 2023 at 08:48 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

RobAmy, jcolwell: thank you both for your replies. Much appreciated.

RobAmy, I have a Wimberley Sidekick and I too get the feeling that in the long run it is just going to be too bulky.

I have an old Manfrotto monopod head but I feel a little uneasy about it because a) it is only rated to 11lbs (and there is no standardized system for determining weight ratings so is this really 11lbs?) and b) it is the QR plate with the lever and safety pin lock. Am I overthinking it or am I right to think the arca-swiss system is more secure?

May 23, 2023 at 09:19 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

Choderboy wrote:
It's not just great for taking photos. Also great for carrying. It's like having a big round soft foot on the lens. I carry like that in rough terrain.

Thanks for the post Choderboy. Could you please clarify what you mean by "it's like having a big round soft foot on the lens."?

May 23, 2023 at 09:22 PM
Cinstance
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

Since you already have a side kick which is not much heavier than the mono head, you probably can just add a Desmond right angle clamp to the monopod. This way you can use it both as a regular monopod, or as a side kick. I have both the side kick and the monopod head, and I like the sidekick/right angle clamp combination better.

May 23, 2023 at 10:41 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

The Leofoto MPG-01 is quite similar to the Wimberly MH-100. Not too different in price in the US. The same handling characteristics, etc.

I also have a Desmond (I think) DMH-2. This is a fairly typical tilting monopod head. While it keeps the weight over the monopod as opposed to off to the side, I think the side "gimbal" is easier to use and control..

With both styles, you'll need one hand on the monopod and one guiding the camera movements. With a large lens especially, you'll want either a replacement foot or a longer Arca Swiss plate to allow for balancing.

May 23, 2023 at 11:08 PM
Choderboy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

EverLearning wrote:
Thanks for the post Choderboy. Could you please clarify what you mean by "it's like having a big round soft foot on the lens."?

It's common to carry a larger les and camera by the tripod foot of the lens.
Some feet even have finger grooves.
The Wimberley MH-01 is designed to be used with the tripod collar loose to allow the camera and lens to rotate.
Also, the knob on the MH-01 designed to be loose, to allow the the camera and lens to tilt.
When carrying for any reasonable distance, I tighten the knob a little with the monopod aligned with the lens.
So now carrying is very similar to carrying by the lens foot, except instead of holding the lens foot, I'm holding the top of the monopod, which is round and soft due to the foam pad on the top of the pod. I'd take a picture but pod and gimbal is at work, ready to be used tomorrow.

May 24, 2023 at 04:17 AM
Choderboy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

Craig Gillette wrote:
The Leofoto MPG-01 is quite similar to the Wimberly MH-100. Not too different in price in the US. The same handling characteristics, etc.

I also have a Desmond (I think) DMH-2. This is a fairly typical tilting monopod head. While it keeps the weight over the monopod as opposed to off to the side, I think the side "gimbal" is easier to use and control..

With both styles, you'll need one hand on the monopod and one guiding the camera movements. With a large lens especially, you'll want either a replacement foot or a longer Arca Swiss plate to
...Show more

I was wondering when it would be copied.
B&H: "The MPG-01 Side Mount Monopod Head with Arca-Type QR Clamp from Leofoto is an innovative and ......"

Funny, copying someone else's design is innovative!

I used to use the Sirui L-10 tilt head, an innovatively copied clone of the RRS tilt head.
I much prefer the Wimberley.

You (I) definitely don't need one hand on pod and one on camera with the Wimberley.
I usually use it with both hands on camera and lens.

May 24, 2023 at 04:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mpoole
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

Check out this monopod from a Canadian companh:
https://www.jobu-design.com/product-page/carbon-fibre-3-section-monopod

It is strong, light and tall enough to shoot upwards. I used it with a Jobu gimbal head in Costa Rica and was very happy

May 24, 2023 at 05:31 AM
jmckayak
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

I have used the Manfrotto, RRS, Induro and Desmond monopod heads. Plus the Wimberley side mount head. Wimberley is the best, by far. The older designs have a tendency to tip forward or back if the head is loose. The Manfrotto head is very inexpensive but youíll want to add an Arca-Swiss clamp. I use the Desmond head on a Skimmer Pod, that works nicely. Induro head has a bit of slop until itís locked down. My copy of the RRS sticks in the horizontal position but is very smooth when tilted up or down, exactly what you DONíT want. It was sent to RRS but they said that they couldnít fix it.

May 24, 2023 at 06:04 AM
dumchidumchi

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

https://promediagear.com/collections/tripod-heads/products/gt2-tomahawk-add-on-gimbal-attachment-for-ball-heads

I am currently using a ProMediaGear GT2 Tomahawk on iFootage Cobra 3 monopod with R5(w/ battery grip) and RF 600mm f/4. IMHO, it's worth checking out the ProMediaGear option.

May 24, 2023 at 06:17 AM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

I've run into several people that are using this instead of a ball head, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Yoke-Machine-Hunting-Monopod-Tripod/dp/B07DJMVXJ7/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3D7412D7ZB77Q&keywords=v+yolk+gun+rest&qid=1684933693&sprefix=v+yolk+gun+rest%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-6

May 24, 2023 at 08:09 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

I've been using the MH-100 since it was first released and many here have probably already heard me singing high praise for this fantastic little device. Best money I've ever spent on photography gear hands down.

I haven't used my Sidekick more than one time since I got the MH-100. I've held onto the sidekick just incase I need to use a tripod but the truth is, the MH-100 + mono pod set-up is so light and very nimble I don't want to use a tripod any longer because it's just too cumbersome.

Pick up any decent monopod, I went with the Leofoto MP-364C which is a beast for use with my 500 II and slap that MH-100 on it then call it a day. You will not regret it.

Oh, and if you do decide to go this route and pick-up a Leofoto mono pod, the bag it come with is equally nice and widens out at one end to perfectly fit the assembled MH-100 head and pod in the bag, almost as if the bag was designed for this head.

Edit: And if you want to save a little coin, you might find a "blem" unit on the Wimberley site. I bought one and can't see anything wrong with it.

May 24, 2023 at 08:11 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

lighthound wrote:
I've been using the MH-100 since it was first released and many here have probably already heard me singing high praise for this fantastic little device. Best money I've ever spent on photography gear hands down.

I haven't used my Sidekick more than one time since I got the MH-100. I've held onto the sidekick just incase I need to use a tripod but the truth is, the MH-100 + mono pod set-up is so light and very nimble I don't want to use a tripod any longer because it's just too cumbersome.

Pick up any decent monopod, I went
...Show more

Good to know Lighthound. Thanks for sharing your experiences; both the monopod and the MH-100. I have a "good" CF monopod now but I might need to get one with a higher weight rating.

May 24, 2023 at 08:20 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

Gimbal heads are seldom designed for Monopods, because for Tripods the mount needs to rotate both horizontally, and vertically, whereas the entire Monopod including head can be easily rotated horizontally by hand,
so, Monopod heads typically only rotate vertically, and are much lighter and less bulky.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/ci/398?filters=fct_accessory-type_3438%3Aheads&origSearch=Monopod%20Head&sts=red

May 24, 2023 at 08:38 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

Choderboy wrote:
I was wondering when it would be copied.
B&H: "The MPG-01 Side Mount Monopod Head with Arca-Type QR Clamp from Leofoto is an innovative and ......"

Funny, copying someone else's design is innovative!

I used to use the Sirui L-10 tilt head, an innovatively copied clone of the RRS tilt head.
I much prefer the Wimberley.

You (I) definitely don't need one hand on pod and one on camera with the Wimberley.
I usually use it with both hands on camera and lens.

Inartfully put. One only "needs" one hand. It's generally a 2 hands someplace approach although you can swap them around. Obviously if you let go with both it topples which won't happen with a tripod

May 24, 2023 at 10:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

Craig Gillette wrote:
...Obviously if you let go with both it topples which won't happen with a tripod

Not so.

When shooting sports with my 500/4L IS on a monopod (and one camera hanging off each shoulder), I have a sling loop that lets me clip the top of the 500 to a sling across my body. I'd also be using my one-hand action Manfrotto NeoTec monopod (just squeeze with your 'holding hand', with pinky on the safety, and it goes up/down). I clip in, lower the monopod, and it rests comfortably and safely at about waist level. Only problem - when moving around, don't let the trailing monopod get between your legs.

A photo of the clip-in loop is attached below. It's the blue cord, secured by the black 'anfrotto' strap around the lens C of G. This strap is the hand strap from the NeoTec. Pay no mind to the small, rectangular thing, being used as the lens rear cap.

© jcolwell 2023

Edited on May 24, 2023 at 11:16 AM · View previous versions

May 24, 2023 at 11:12 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recommendations for monopod gimbal heads

RobAmy wrote:
I have used the models from really right stuff and they work well. I have also tried full size gimbals that I had and that works too but obviously a bit bulky. I tried the wimberley mh-100 and it is the best I have ever used on a monopod. The size and the way it balances is just outstanding. I use it mainly for my RF 400mm and RF 800mm f5.6

^^^^ This

May 24, 2023 at 11:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.