Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Pixelpuffin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

We’ve booked a week away to Portugal in 4wks time, will probably be going somewhere else later in the year.
Ok, normally for foreign holidays I take my phone and the Panasonic Lumix TZ70 travel camera. But I always regret not bringing a better camera despite the fact the travel zoom always delivers.
I’m not confident to trust my RP not had it long and already I find I dislike using the EVF in bright sunlight, the viewfinder image looks nothing like what my eyes see, yet in shade, overcast or indoors it’s amazing.

I’ve ruled out crop (SL2, 70d, 80d, 7dii etc etc) as their physical size are not much smaller than either the 6d or RP. Also ruled out the 6dii and 5diii as I think both are overkill for a family holiday. But maybe my M50 & 18-150 could be a serious contender.

But up to now I’m liking the idea of just my 6d and 40 stm plus my iPhone (28mm)

Never been to Portugal. I don’t want photography to take over, I’d just like to bring back great memories

Any advice would be welcome

May 22, 2023 at 12:52 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

If you don't want photography to take over — as you wrote — then perhaps the phone of the Lumix would do the trick.

I sometimes also like using a small camera and a single small lens — for me that is my Fujifilm XT5 and the 27mm f/2.8 pancake.

The travel camera conundrum is always a trade-off between size, flexibility, and versatility... and something gets compromised.

May 22, 2023 at 02:14 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Which iPhone?

May 22, 2023 at 02:18 PM
Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Jesse Evans wrote:
Which iPhone?

SE II

May 22, 2023 at 02:34 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

I think your plan sounds reasonable. I once visited the UK with only a 40mm lens and got great photos.

May 22, 2023 at 03:12 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Add an EF 135/2 in there and you're golden.

May 22, 2023 at 03:13 PM
jtford9
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

My 20’s something daughter has traveled to 4 continents and 20 countries including Portugal. She’s used a 6D in a few places but her usual choice is the SL1 with the EF-S 24mm and the EF 40.

The SL1/24,40 plus her iPhone is what she used in Portugal. Most of her shooting was street scenes, like the Lisbon trolley, the architecture with all the beautiful tile work, the markets and street vendors and so on.

FWIW, she and my wife were in Salzburg and Munich in December and my daughter used the same setup and my wife who here at home normally shoots with an R5 shot her whole trip with just the M5/22mm and her iPhone.

May 22, 2023 at 05:27 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

jtford9 wrote:
My 20’s something daughter has traveled to 4 continents and 20 countries including Portugal. She’s used a 6D in a few places but her usual choice is the SL1 with the EF-S 24mm and the EF 40.

A friend who is a regular at TAAG in Yosemite Valley, exhibiting and teaching workshops there, visited Europe a few years back and took only a SL1. (The first time I met him in the Yosemite backcountry, he was carrying THREE complete systems: LF film, MF film, and FF digital.)

May 22, 2023 at 06:30 PM
Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

jtford9 wrote:

The SL1/24,40 plus her iPhone is what she used in Portugal. Most of her shooting was street scenes, like the Lisbon trolley, the architecture with all the beautiful tile work, the markets and street vendors and so on.

FWIW, she and my wife were in Salzburg and Munich in December and my daughter used the same setup and my wife who here at home
...Show more

That’s inspirational as I too have the SL1/24stm also have the M5/22mm. At the other end of the scale I’ve also kept my old powershots the G12 & G16
If I can decide which kit to take my plan was to spend the next 4wks shooting with just that kit to familiarise myself with the controls again.
I love the 6d and the images it produces but I’m aware that if it’s really hot the camera may get left in the hotel room
I certainly don’t want to be hauling a camera bag around, but note that when as a family we travel abroad we always take the smallest rucksack/ backpack to carry essentials , water, sun lotion, shades etc etc
At a push I could pop in a small lens with just caps (no pouch) I was thinking (hoping) the camera I take will be on me personally be it wrist strap, neck strap.
But on the beach it will get stuffed into the rucksack and have to fend for itself - that’s no mean feat for me as I tend to baby my kit to the extreme, I need to learn to be more reckless and just use the things as they were intended.

May 22, 2023 at 11:18 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Pixelpuffin wrote:
That’s inspirational as I too have the SL1/24stm also have the M5/22mm. At the other end of the scale I’ve also kept my old powershots the G12 & G16
If I can decide which kit to take my plan was to spend the next 4wks shooting with just that kit to familiarise myself with the controls again.
I love the 6d and the images it produces but I’m aware that if it’s really hot the camera may get left in the hotel room
I certainly don’t want to be hauling a camera bag around, but note that when as a family
...Show more

I don't know if I'm understanding your post correctly, but it sounds like you own about 10 different cameras? If yes, why don't you sell all of them and pickup something like a used R6 and RF 16mm, 24mm, 35mm or 50mm? That's a fairly compact setup and the R6 can do everything very well. Maybe you have too many camera choices and it's causing confusion as to what to bring with you all the time? The old stuff works great, but life would seem simpler with an R6 to replace all your bodies.

May 22, 2023 at 11:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

artsupreme wrote:
I don't know if I'm understanding your post correctly, but it sounds like you own about 10 different cameras? If yes, why don't you sell all of them and pickup something like a used R6 and RF 16mm, 24mm, 35mm or 50mm? That's a fairly compact setup and the R6 can do everything very well. Maybe you have too many camera choices and it's causing confusion as to what to bring with you all the time? The old stuff works great, but life would seem simpler with an R6 to replace all your bodies.

Yeah, I’ve picked up way too much gear over the years, never letting go, just accumulating ever more. Tbh, I honestly don’t want to buy anymore, trade ins will be a expensive option as dealers offer very little in comparison what I could probably sell privately. At the minute I’m still working full time don’t want to even consider buying selling option before we go away.

May 23, 2023 at 12:24 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Pixelpuffin wrote:
Yeah, I’ve picked up way too much gear over the years, never letting go, just accumulating ever more. Tbh, I honestly don’t want to buy anymore, trade ins will be a expensive option as dealers offer very little in comparison what I could probably sell privately. At the minute I’m still working full time don’t want to even consider buying selling option before we go away.

Selling used gear can definitely be a pain in the ass, but once you get rid of all the clutter you will feel relieved. With all the gear you have you would be putting money in your pocket on top of buying one new simplified kit that does it all. If you have the equivalent of a cragislist over there, you might want to list some stuff for sale and start dumping it before it's worth pennies. It's not so overwhelming if you do it slowly over time. But yes, it's not fun.

May 23, 2023 at 12:54 AM
Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

artsupreme wrote:
Selling used gear can definitely be a pain in the ass, but once you get rid of all the clutter you will feel relieved. With all the gear you have you would be putting money in your pocket on top of buying one new simplified kit that does it all. If you have the equivalent of a cragislist over there, you might want to list some stuff for sale and start dumping it before it's worth pennies. It's not so overwhelming if you do it slowly over time. But yes, it's not fun.

I agree, but I’m just not yet certain I’m committed to the canon R system. (Or even canon l!)
Strangely I still enjoy using DSLRs.
Whilst I like the novelty factor of mirrorless I do still much prefer the DSLR OVF in daylight.

The R stuff is just stupidly expensive, I fret about scuffing my current stuff, I’d be even worse using £4K+ of canon R kit.
I’ll shoot and compare the 6d/40 & SL1/24 side by side this evening or maybe even the 6dii & SL2 ?
I did take a pair of M50’s fitted with 11-22 & 18-150 on a weekend break a while back, that worked out really well, but necessitates constantly carrying a bag. Likewise I took the 6d/40stm on another vacation again worked well except for the slow AF missed spontaneous candids of son and my partner. That to me is the only calling I have towards mirrorless , the eye/face tracking in the viewfinder, if the DSLR’s had had that ability I would never have dipped into the mirrorless system. I rarely ever use the rear screens.

The RP and M have certainly spoilt me with their eye AF ability, taking candid grab shots without even looking at the screen/EVF is child’s play

May 23, 2023 at 03:28 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

I think the 6D and the 40mm would make a nice kit to take to Portugal, always enjoy the 40mm view and the 40/2.8 is a very nice lens. Personally I would like to add something 85-100mm to go with it, but there is a virtue in simplicity.

May 23, 2023 at 09:20 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Pixelpuffin wrote:
I agree, but I’m just not yet certain I’m committed to the canon R system. (Or even canon l!)
Strangely I still enjoy using DSLRs.
Whilst I like the novelty factor of mirrorless I do still much prefer the DSLR OVF in daylight.

The R stuff is just stupidly expensive, I fret about scuffing my current stuff, I’d be even worse using £4K+ of canon R kit.
I’ll shoot and compare the 6d/40 & SL1/24 side by side this evening or maybe even the 6dii & SL2 ?
I did take a pair of M50’s fitted with 11-22 & 18-150 on a weekend
...Show more

Your last comment about being spoiled with eye AF is the reason I would suggest selling all your gear and moving to an R6 kit. I hated the EVF at first too and I swore I was going to keep a 1DXIII for shooting action, but I ended up selling all my DSLR's after I got used to it. You could have an R6 and all the lenses you'll need for under 3K. Like a 16mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, etc. One good reason to have the ML body is for traveling when you and your family want photos taken of each other or the whole group. You can hand the camera off to literally anyone and know a good professional portrait can easily be taken and WILL be in focus. This is not so easy with a DSLR, especially at large apertures. I have tons of out of focus photos from the DSLR days when I asked someone to take our photo. ML has taken out the skill required for a DSLR so it's just like handing an iPhone to someone now if the camera is setup properly.

May 23, 2023 at 11:58 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Pixelpuffin wrote:
We’ve booked a week away to Portugal in 4wks time, will probably be going somewhere else later in the year.
Ok, normally for foreign holidays I take my phone and the Panasonic Lumix TZ70 travel camera. But I always regret not bringing a better camera despite the fact the travel zoom always delivers.
I’m not confident to trust my RP not had it long and already I find I dislike using the EVF in bright sunlight, the viewfinder image looks nothing like what my eyes see, yet in shade, overcast or indoors it’s amazing.

I’ve ruled out crop (SL2, 70d, 80d, 7dii
...Show more

I can't see going to Portugal and taking a 40mm and a phone. I used to take even 300/2.8 at times, even took it on a plane, now I'm more like 3 zooms. One trip to utah/AZ I took 17-35 sigma, 11-16, & 55-250. Really great range, 18-400 ff equivalent!!! One trip really happy carrying the light kit zooms, 18-55 & 55-250, on the beach. 55-250 has pretty great zoom macro too, if you don't need to get too close like 1:1. What lenses do you have? I'd hate to be limited to 40mm. I don't particularly enjoy phone photography, myself

Bill Claff has a 6D labeled ML, on his DR measurements, that pretty much matches the latest Rf DR. So you might check out Magic Lantern for the 6D. I'd probably take 5D3 or 6D2 though, not much heavier, if any, I'd guess. The SL2 is very light, I'd probably be considering that, as well.

May 23, 2023 at 12:40 PM
Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

AmbientMike wrote:
I can't see going to Portugal and taking a 40mm and a phone. I used to take even 300/2.8 at times, even took it on a plane, now I'm more like 3 zooms. One trip to utah/AZ I took 17-35 sigma, 11-16, & 55-250. Really great range, 18-400 ff equivalent!!! One trip really happy carrying the light kit zooms, 18-55 & 55-250, on the beach. 55-250 has pretty great zoom macro too, if you don't need to get too close like 1:1. What lenses do you have? I'd hate to be limited to 40mm. I don't particularly enjoy phone photography,
...Show more

Yeah, I have the STM triplet, in fact I have all the STM’s full stop. In total counting RF, EF, EF-m and EF-s I have probably 100 canon lenses that includes a dozen L’s - as I say I got carried away.
I’m not buying anything this year, I’ve made a vow to stop buying in 2023.

If I were to add another R body it would probably be the R8 as I really like the RP size and weight

But I’m not too bothered about selling stuff. Maybe next year or the year after but for now I’m gonna just chill and take pictures.

I’ve just fitted the 40stm with control ring adapter on to the RP. Works perfectly, but because of the adapter it’s no smaller than the RF50 . I have to say if canon would bring out a equivalent 40mm RF pancake I’d probably grab it along with the R8. But besides the RF16 & 50 there’s little else in the RF line up that appeals. I’d rather just adapt my EF stuff.

May 23, 2023 at 02:06 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

I travel all the time and would never think of going with just a 40mm anywhere, never mind Portugal. There are too many images to be made from super wide to tele and in between. Just did a month in Valencia, Spain, 2 bodies 14-35L/24-105L/70-300L/35mm f1.8 plus a Sony A6600 / 20mm pancake. All carried in an 18L backpack, with a daypack in my checked luggage, I just pick what i want for the day and put it in an ICU in the daypack. In 30+ years of travel worldwide the gear may change but what lens range I bring has not.

May 23, 2023 at 02:18 PM
Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

artsupreme wrote:
Your last comment about being spoiled with eye AF is the reason I would suggest selling all your gear and moving to an R6 kit. I hated the EVF at first too and I swore I was going to keep a 1DXIII for shooting action, but I ended up selling all my DSLR's after I got used to it. You could have an R6 and all the lenses you'll need for under 3K. Like a 16mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, etc. One good reason to have the ML body is for traveling when you and your family want photos taken of
...Show more

You make some good points and I do agree
But, although the R6 and R5 are much much better the RP would cope easily in the scenarios you gave. Yes, it’s not as fast or modern as the higher spec newer models but it would still deliver. I do have the M6/M6ii ( in fact I have all the M models except M50ii/M200 along with all the M lenses) they would all be capable of getting group shots in focus. Likewise the 70/80d, SL1/2 , 6dii would also cope if using the rear screen.
I think because everyone has banged on and on about the R5/6 it’s actually put me off either. Neither would be my first choice now . Until canon decides to offer a RF pancake I’m just not buying anymore R stuff.

May 23, 2023 at 02:20 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D + 40stm & iPhone for Portugal holiday??

Pixelpuffin wrote:
You make some good points and I do agree
But, although the R6 and R5 are much much better the RP would cope easily in the scenarios you gave. Yes, it’s not as fast or modern as the higher spec newer models but it would still deliver. I do have the M6/M6ii ( in fact I have all the M models except M50ii/M200 along with all the M lenses) they would all be capable of getting group shots in focus. Likewise the 70/80d, SL1/2 , 6dii would also cope if using the rear screen.
I think because everyone has banged on
...Show more

It sounds like you have quite the camera store at home. The RP will definitely cope by why not get lightly used R6 for $1500 range that can do it all, including sports. It has proper dials and joystick compared to the RP. It has a great sensor, it's all anyone needs. There is no RF pancake, but the 16mm and 50mm are pretty small. I like old gear too but you own 15 cameras and there's one simple kit that can replace them all and I'm sure you'll be happy with it:

May 23, 2023 at 03:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.