FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

urbanwild
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

George DeCamp wrote:
Well I decided to order it today rather than wait and take my chances that it would take awhile. Lots of them being shipped now so what the heck.

Well that didn't take long from your last post!

I'm in the "must.....hold.....on.....for.....a......little.....longer" mindset

The Z8 ticks all the boxes for me. I have some thinking to do like many others. Man has Nikon turned the ship around well.

May 24, 2023 at 02:26 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

urbanwild wrote:
Hi Gary, I'm curious how the 100-400 performs with the Z9 focus system for fast moving objects. I've seen lots of images to think that it's excellent, but I'm not sure how much pre-focusing people do with that lens-camera combination. I'm coming from a Z7, Z6ii, D500 system. Thanks! Rich

Hi Rich;

I only shoot video -- haven't used my Z9 to capture a single frame since I got it, so I'm not best person to ask. I'm assuming you're asking talking about stills autofocus?

May 24, 2023 at 06:20 AM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

urbanwild wrote:
Well that didn't take long from your last post!

I'm in the "must.....hold.....on.....for.....a......little.....longer" mindset

The Z8 ticks all the boxes for me. I have some thinking to do like many others. Man has Nikon turned the ship around well.

Went to the dentist and when I got home after spinning on Nitrous Oxide I ordered it!

May 24, 2023 at 08:27 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

urbanwild wrote:
Hi Gary, I'm curious how the 100-400 performs with the Z9 focus system for fast moving objects. I've seen lots of images to think that it's excellent, but I'm not sure how much pre-focusing people do with that lens-camera combination. I'm coming from a Z7, Z6ii, D500 system. Thanks! Rich

I know you're not asking me, but I've used the 100-400 a whole bunch on the Z9 and I don't use a button to pre-focus but I do tend to get the lens focused in the ~general~ plane of where my fast subjects will be entering the frame so it doesn't rack.

As long as you do your job behind the camera, the AF is very good and everything but the hardest subjects are fairly basic to capture.

George DeCamp wrote:
Went to the dentist and when I got home after spinning on Nitrous Oxide I ordered it!

My wife is my dentist, I'll need to see if I can get a to-go order of NO next time I'm wringing my hands over a possible purchase

May 24, 2023 at 08:34 AM
LostLensCap
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

I shoot a Z5 and Z50 so my knowledge of the Z7, Z9, Z8 is limited to what I read. And, from what I read the Z8 gives you most everything a Z9 does but in a much smaller and lighter package. I see many people selling their Z7II's to up grade to the Z8 and Z9 shooters getting a Z8 as a backup but ending up using it as their No. 1 shooter. As for me, I'm getting ready to sell off 4 of my bass guitars to get a Z8.

May 24, 2023 at 09:06 AM
this is me
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

George DeCamp wrote:

May 24, 2023 at 10:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

George DeCamp
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

RoamingScott wrote:
I know you're not asking me, but I've used the 100-400 a whole bunch on the Z9 and I don't use a button to pre-focus but I do tend to get the lens focused in the ~general~ plane of where my fast subjects will be entering the frame so it doesn't rack.

As long as you do your job behind the camera, the AF is very good and everything but the hardest subjects are fairly basic to capture.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52895621076_267d3e01c9_k.jpg

My wife is my dentist, I'll need to see if I can get a to-go order of NO next time I'm wringing my hands
...Show more

Hahaha now you're thinking!

May 24, 2023 at 11:29 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

urbanwild wrote:

The Z100-400 focuses incredibly fast (it actually uses two separate stepper motors), nothing to worry about, especially on a Z8/Z9. I've never pre-focused that lens in all my time owning it and I've used it almost exclusively for birds. The 1.4TC doesn't slow the AF down noticeably either, at least in decent light. To put it another way, with the Z9 I am able to track swallows with a 200-500, and the AF on the 100-400 is much faster.

May 24, 2023 at 11:33 AM
urbanwild
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Gary Irwin wrote:
Hi Rich;

I only shoot video -- haven't used my Z9 to capture a single frame since I got it, so I'm not best person to ask. I'm assuming you're asking talking about stills autofocus?

Yes, was thinking stills. Thanks anyway!

May 24, 2023 at 07:39 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

George DeCamp wrote:

I'm eating a lot of candy as we speak! Congrats on your order and I'm sure like many others, we look forward to seeing the great images you get with it.

May 24, 2023 at 07:41 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

CanadaMark wrote:
The Z100-400 focuses incredibly fast (it actually uses two separate stepper motors), nothing to worry about, especially on a Z8/Z9. I've never pre-focused that lens in all my time owning it and I've used it almost exclusively for birds. The 1.4TC doesn't slow the AF down noticeably either, at least in decent light. To put it another way, with the Z9 I am able to track swallows with a 200-500, and the AF on the 100-400 is much faster.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks Mark! The cAF is not quick for me with the 100-400 on the Z7 or Z6ii but I haven't tried on a Z9. Some YouTube videos make it look great but I prefer feedback from this forum.

I'm doing the math to see if I want to sell the 200-500 and one of the Z6ii / Z7 to put towards a Z8. That would leave me with the 500pf on the D500 in the kayak and a better system on land with the 100-400 or 500 pf + Z8. Selling the 500 pf would get me to a Z8 more quickly but the 200-500's external zoom and weight isn't as desirable and I'm not interested in taking a $10,000 kit out there in an ocean kayak. This is the closest I've been to considering selling the 200-500. For all of its disadvantages, the optical quality is very close to the 500 pf and it's given me some of my very best and memorable images.

May 24, 2023 at 08:01 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

RoamingScott wrote:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52895621076_267d3e01c9_k.jpg

My wife is my dentist, I'll need to see if I can get a to-go order of NO next time I'm wringing my hands
...Show more

This is very helpful - thanks!

May 24, 2023 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.