New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Initially, I was not that keen on getting the Z8 as I have a Z9 and a Z7II for my lightweight backup and travel duties. If I were to get a Z8 it would only be at a later date when and if I needed an adjunct to my Z9 or when I required it for travel where AF tracking was required and I needed a lighter, smaller camera than the Z9. In other words, a Z8 was not a high priority at this stage. However, I was lucky enough to meet up with a Nikon rep and he had the Z8 for a few of us to handle. Wow, it feels great in the hand and is not that big or heavy as I had imagined, when compared to my Z7II. With the SmallRig plate on the Z7II, it is basically the same size as the Z8. Add the 115gms of the SmallRig to the weight of the Z7II and we have 820gms, only 90gms lighter than the Z8. Of course, I can always take the SmallRig off the Z7II to have a very small and light camera, which is an advantage, but mosly it is on and if I were travelling or doing a long hike, the Z7II would go sans SmallRig. However, after trying it out, I will be getting the Z8 sooner rather than later.

May 22, 2023 at 02:40 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

I feel you Lance. I have 2 Z9s and a Z7 so plenty of cameras but I am already looking for an excuse to justify the Z8 in the (close or far) future

Edited on May 22, 2023 at 02:48 AM · View previous versions

May 22, 2023 at 02:46 AM
gannis
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Great Lance! I'm pretty much in the same boat....about 70% there 😂 Look fwd to your initial assessment after you use one.

Lance B wrote:
Initially, I was not that keen on getting the Z8 as I have a Z9 and a Z7II for my lightweight backup and travel duties. If I were to get a Z8 it would only be at a later date when and if I needed an adjunct to my Z9 or when I required it for travel where AF tracking was required and I needed a lighter, smaller camera than the Z9. In other words, a Z8 was not a high priority at this stage. However, I was lucky enough to meet up with a Nikon rep and he
...Show more

May 22, 2023 at 02:47 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

gannis wrote:
Great Lance! I'm pretty much in the same boat....about 70% there 😂 Look fwd to your initial assessment after you use one.

Unfortunately, at this stage it doesn't look like I will get one soon, but it will be sooner than I had first thought. It depends on when/if prices drop enough and whether I want to sell off my Z7II in order to help raise funds in order to get it sooner.

May 22, 2023 at 02:49 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
I feel you Lance. I have 2 Z9s and a Z7 so plenty of cameras but I am already looking for an excuse to justify the Z8 in the (close or far) future

L.O.L. I am starting to think up excuses in order to justify it as well.

May 22, 2023 at 02:50 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Lance B wrote:
Initially, I was not that keen on getting the Z8 as I have a Z9 and a Z7II for my lightweight backup and travel duties. If I were to get a Z8 it would only be at a later date when and if I needed an adjunct to my Z9 or when I required it for travel where AF tracking was required and I needed a lighter, smaller camera than the Z9. In other words, a Z8 was not a high priority at this stage. However, I was lucky enough to meet up with a Nikon rep and he
...Show more

You are putting into words what I have been feeling all along: bodies like the Sony A1 or Nikon Z7 are too small to function as an allround body, and bodies like the Z9 are far too big and heavy to be an universal camera.
I have been using the A1 with a small Meike grip extension from the very beginning, and it is just perfect like that.

For that reason I see the Z8 as the first Nikon allround candidate, and pretty much perfect size and weight wise.

I should add that I absolutely hate battery grips, and have not used one since my Pentax K3 days, and I don't mind a bit swapping a battery now and then.

Ńnd that the "better balance with long lenses" is totally lost on me, certainly when it comes to modern lenses like the Sony 600GM or Nikon 800mm f6.3, which balance well mounted on a cigarettepack if needed, due to trimmed weight and "redesigned for better balance" optics.

May 22, 2023 at 04:54 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Lance,
I am glad you initiated this discussion, as I am at a crossroads with the Z8. I currently have a Z9 and Z6II that I use as the "extra camera." I actually prefer to carry 3 bodies during all of my outings so I do not need to swap lenses in a canoe/kayak (see recent 800PF shots in that thread), so I've been pondering a Z8 even though I said I wouldn't get one. However, $4000 US + Tax = about $4300 is a big pill to swallow given how much money I've sunk into the Z-system in the last 15 months. To get there, I'd want/need to sell my Z6ii at a crushing loss. While I crave the button compatibility of the Z8, I also need/want an ultra-wide zoom for an upcoming trip.
So here I am... Do I stick with my current kit and replace the Z6ii w/ a Z8, or Do I add a used Z7ii (soon to be flooding in due to the Z8s) and the 17-28mm f2.8 (astro and waterfalls) and save a $1000 or more?

Furthermore, after shooting herons from the canoe this past Saturday and making 2300 picture in 90 minutes, I'm not sure I need another high speed body...
While these are not "real" problems when compared to the chaos of our world, it is a problem that has been haunting me for 2 weeks now

bruce
edited to correct typos

Edited on May 22, 2023 at 06:13 AM · View previous versions

May 22, 2023 at 05:37 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

OwlsEyes wrote:
Lance,
I am glad you initiated this discussion, as I am at a crossroads with the Z8. I currently have a Z9 and Z6II that I use as the "extra camera." I actually prefer to carry 3 bodies during all of my outings so I do not need to swap lenses in a canoe/kayak (see recent 800PF shots in that thread), so I've been pondering a Z8 even though I said I wouldn't get one. However, $4000 US + Tax = about $4300. To get there, I'd want/need to sell my Z6ii at a crushing loss. While I crave the button
...Show more

I hear ya! 🙂 my situation ain't that much different.

May 22, 2023 at 05:49 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

ChrisMak wrote:
You are putting into words what I have been feeling all along: bodies like the Sony A1 or Nikon Z7 are too small to function as an allround body, and bodies like the Z9 are far too big and heavy to be an universal camera.
I have been using the A1 with a small Meike grip extension from the very beginning, and it is just perfect like that.

For that reason I see the Z8 as the first Nikon allround candidate, and pretty much perfect size and weight wise.

I should add that I absolutely hate battery grips, and have not used one
...Show more

The Z8 seems to be the sweet spot for size. I actually like the Z9 size for birding and long lenses, but the Z8 is just nice balance between birding and other duties.

May 22, 2023 at 05:51 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Surprisingly, Nauticam announced an underwater housing for Z8 I think the same day or day after Z8 official launch. Local Nauticam rep told me at our local Dive Expo over the weekend that they exoected first batch of the housing by the end of this month so just a few days after Z8 release. Price is much more reasonable than Z9 housing so I think I will go with this one and I should get the housing in the next couple of months, in time for my dive trip in October. Low light AF should be better than Z7 ii and I plan
to do some blackwater diving with macro setup, that should be a lot of fun.

May 22, 2023 at 07:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

this is me
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

I avoided the Nikon event at LCS. Lol
Is the Z8 button layout the same or close to the Z9? I hated when I switch to a different body and I have to remember where the buttons Iím looking for are.

May 22, 2023 at 08:05 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

this is me wrote:
I avoided the Nikon event at LCS. Lol
Is the Z8 button layout the same or close to the Z9? I hated when I switch to a different body and I have to remember where the buttons Iím looking for are.

Yes, except for the top left dial area (dial is gone, buttons are slightly different).

May 22, 2023 at 08:21 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

There are no free lunches in sight...Z9 is far too big to just "take" somewhere, and I don't think the Z8 will solve that problem. It's still a pretty big boy! I agree though that the Z8 will "fit" more situations better.

I would sure love if we got a full frame Z FC this year to compliment the Z8/Z9!

May 22, 2023 at 08:23 AM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

For the 50mm f/1.2 S or a similar lens, would you prefer the Z 7 II, the Z 8 or the Z 9?

May 22, 2023 at 09:06 AM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Lance B wrote:
...Show more

Isnít GAS a wonderful thing LanceÖ.😎

May 22, 2023 at 09:16 AM
this is me
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

AcuteShadows wrote:
For the 50mm f/1.2 S or a similar lens, would you prefer the Z 7 II, the Z 8 or the Z 9?

I have both Z9 and Z7 and 50f1.2s and 85f1.2s. I use the Z9 more often than the Z7 because of the button layout. For one, the review button on the Z7 is on the left. When you mount a big and heavy lens like these f1.2s, you kind of want to hold the lens with your left hand and grip the camera with the right. So having the review button on the left on the Z7 is a little awkward to press. With the Z9, itís much better to use your right thumb to review with these big and heavy lenses.
I donít know, I just think the Z9 has a much better ergo than the Z7. I rarely use the Z7 so maybe thatís why too that Iím slow with it.

May 22, 2023 at 09:28 AM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

this is me wrote:
I have both Z9 and Z7 and 50f1.2s and 85f1.2s. I use the Z9 more often than the Z7 because of the button layout. For one, the review button on the Z7 is on the left. When you mount a big and heavy lens like these f1.2s, you kind of want to hold the lens with your left hand and grip the camera with the right. So having the review button on the left on the Z7 is a little awkward to press. With the Z9, itís much better to use your right thumb to review with these
...Show more

Thank you for your answer! I was mainly thinking about balance, but it's true that using a camera is more than that. When you think of the Z 8, is the grip large enough to hold the 50mm f/1.2 S (or, say, a Zeiss Milvus 25mm f/1.4) comfortably, or do you wish to have the Z 9 once you get it out of the bag and begin to take pictures?

May 22, 2023 at 10:55 AM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Awesome news, looking forward to your thoughts! I will probably get one myself but not until the next trip which will not be this year, too much dental work ugh, but hey you never know if I can sneak a trip to Florida in.

May 22, 2023 at 11:31 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Lance B wrote:
However, after trying it out, I will be getting the Z8 sooner rather than later.

Was there really ever any doubt that you would have a Z8? From before the announcement we all knew it was the ideal camera body for you.

May it bring you many years of enjoyable photography. Congratulations.

May 22, 2023 at 11:37 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · For what it's worth, I've changed my mind about the Z8

Lance B wrote:
However, I was lucky enough to meet up with a Nikon rep and he had the Z8 for a few of us to handle. Wow, it feels great in the hand and is not that big or heavy as I had imagined, when compared to my Z7II.

Glad to hear that, Lance. Looks like Nikon's on a roll.

May 22, 2023 at 11:51 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.